SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Skittles' move to ditch rainbow to give LGBT pride 'center stage' is criticized
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skittles' move to ditch rainbow to give LGBT pride 'center stage' is criticized Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Great job there.....Skittles. I for one couldn't be prouder that you've chosen not to appropriate the LGBT movement. Perhaps you should make a commercial with all white Skittles and Kendall Jenner?

Skittles has temporarily ditched its rainbow theme in favor of an all-white look in the United Kingdom and Germany in order to give LGBT pride celebrations "center stage."

Michelle Green, a spokeswoman for the Chicago-based Wrigley Company, which makes Skittles, tells The Associated Press that since rainbow colors are identified with both LGBT pride and Skittles, the candy maker chose one color during the celebrations "in order for Pride's rainbow to take center stage."

June is LGBT Pride month. The Skittles switch began in late March and wraps up in September. The candy is sold in a black-and-white wrapper.

The move has received a mixed reaction on social media. Some Twitter users like it, but others are critical of the selection of white for the campaign, saying it plays against the nod to diversity.

The Huffington Post posted an article titled, “Some People Think Skittles’ All-White Pride Candies Are Racist.”

The article states the some say by going all-white, Skittles fails to reflect racial diversity within the gay community.

A Wrigley spokesperson responded to the controversy in an email to the website, saying, “diversity and inclusion are also key values for us.”

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...e-is-criticized.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ah, so Skittles thought the whole rainbow-colored thing was ghey. Understood. I think.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
"Look at me, look at me - i am offended and you will look at me - unless you're a gay hating racist."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
It's confusing, because to choose all white as the color scheme isn't Skittles promoting white privilege?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
It's confusing, because to choose all white as the color scheme isn't Skittles promoting white privilege?

yes. that's what some people are saying.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Here's an idea. Just sell candy and STFU.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

No truer words have ever been said about candy. When are companies going to figure out they can't win in the war of words with liberals. Their (liberals) logic is without match. Not because it is true, but because it is nonsensical. And they will not cave when faced with facts.

Here's a new slogan for skittles. "We'll fart in a bag if your willing to pay for it. Or enjoy our yummy sweet colored candies instead. Because we really don't care. Your call."

Taste that rainbow!

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

AMEN and friggin' preach it, brother!!! Lessee here. I've bought Skittles ZERO times in my life. I shall continue that trend.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Skittles can F off. I quit Skittles and Arizona Tea (at exactly the same time) already. Years ago.

Posts: 7249 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Remember the good old days when companies just made food, snacks and other beverages without being politically active or pandering to every special interest on the planet?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
quote:

No truer words have ever been said about candy. When are companies going to figure out they can't win in the war of words with liberals. Their (liberals) logic is without match. Not because it is true, but because it is nonsensical. And they will not cave when faced with facts.

Here's a new slogan for skittles. "We'll fart in a bag if your willing to pay for it. Or enjoy our yummy sweet colored candies instead. Because we really don't care. Your call."

Taste that rainbow!

You can't win when fighting liberal logic. No matter what you're wrong. I hope their sales fall from the hateful white power skittles. Hahaha.

Best thing is just to ignore them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Some people have way too much spare time.

quote:

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
June is WHAT fucking pride month?

Fuck that. When is middle-aged overweight white guy pride month?

Fuck all this nonsense. I really hate the world today. Pardon me while I go look for a clock tower...

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
How can the rainbow be appropriated from the alphabet gang when they did so themselves.

The Leprechauns are pissed, and want it back.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Great job there.....Skittles. I for one couldn't be prouder that you've chosen not to appropriate the LGBT movement. Perhaps you should make a commercial with all white Skittles and Kendall Jenner?

Isn't "all white" and "Kendall Jenner" an oxymoron unto itself?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post