SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No spare tire?!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No spare tire?! Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Putting a mini spare tire on a car with larger diameter oem tires can damage the (rear) differential. If the oem tire is damaged beyond roadside repair, it would be better to call a roll back than using the mini spare.

As far as run flats, the oem run flats on a late model Corvette and some Camaros are rougher riding and noisy and for summer use only. MICHELIN and other manufacturers have finally come out with all season ZP tires that are better riding, quieter and can be safely used in most winter driving conditions.

My spare matches the OD of my OEM tires. Part of its selling point.

I know run flats have their place...but I like the mUCH improved ride quality of a standard tire.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If you’ve had a failure you’ll need a tire and if at speed given today’s low profile wheels you might just ruin the wheel simply getting to the shoulder. Slime is useless in that scenario.

If it’s a simple puncture the TPMS will alert you of impending doom. Time enough to get out a small compressor and top off the tire. If you’re rarely out in BFE it might be a good enough solution.

Knock on wood I’ve only had two flat tires in my 41 years of driving. Both of those were caught early enough to drive to a shop (Company vehicles not included). My experience surely influences my thoughts though. I did sit for 13 hours in North Dakota waiting on a service truck to repair a tire on the semi after a Labor Day weekend.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5145 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My bmws came with runflats and nothing else.

I usually replace them right away with goflats and buy a plug kit and a compressor.

There is no room for a temporary spare in my car.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My Pacifica came with the little air compressor and the tire sealant. That's a big nope from me. I've always been a little more prepared than others. I bought a donut spare tire/jack from the junk yard for $25. Plus a 24 inch breaker bar and correct size socket from Harbor Freight to remove the lug nuts.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
If you’re rarely out in BFE it might be a good enough solution.

It's just up the road. Wink

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Just to save fuel .....
Start requiring the dealer put one in before buying.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks are trying hard to get rid of their spare tire. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
It's all about fuel consumption and saving weight to meet .gov fuel mandates. Pretty soon no new cars will have spares or tools.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
i have two spare tires, the full size tire and wheel I bought and put in my trunk, and the one around my waist.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm driving an old Jeep with a full size spare. I bought a lightweight jack from Harbor Freight and keep it in the car. Also an impact wrench from HF. If I ever get a flat, I want to be quick and done with the tire change.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
It's all about fuel consumption and saving weight to meet .gov fuel mandates. Pretty soon no new cars will have spares or tools.

Plus they figure all these beta soy boy types running around these days don't know how to change their own tires anyway.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Just now catching up to the decade in motoring, I find spare tires are less the norm.

Wait until you try finding the battery!
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
If you’re rarely out in BFE it might be a good enough solution.

It's just up the road. Wink

Mera Hills 2004

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My wife's 2014 BMW X-1 is AWD and has no spare of any sort. I can understand no donut because of the point a previous poster made and frankly, the X-1 has so little room behind the backseat a full sized one is out of the question.

Its Pirelli run-flats are noisy and have a poor ride. It's pretty bad when the Conti winter tires we are running up here November->April are quieter with a better ride.

This is my last flat. A fence staple I picked up on the LBJ Ranch in a rental car. Donut spare so no problem getting to a tire shop in Fredericksburg that stayed open to fix it. Put another 1700 miles on the car after that.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3443 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
My new vehicle has room for a spare inside but the manufacturer elected not to include a spare inside, but they did stick one on the tailgate, got to love them Wranglers! My 2015 Mustang has a spare tire well in the trunk but they put a compressor there instead.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post