SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recovery from total knee replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recovery from total knee replacement Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
Procedure was done Wednesday, last night worst pain I've ever experienced. Feeling a little better now, Inpatient Rehab then home.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Hope you feel better. I know someday I will be in the same boat.

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one in 2014. Best advice I can give is do the rehab religiously. If you do that, all will be well in the end. If you don't, it won't work out so well. First three weeks were tough, then it got progressively better. I was driving at six weeks, and out of rehab by eight weeks. I was 63 when I had it done. Pain free and it's my dominant leg now.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pain was very well controlled in hospital and at home post procedure. Also agree to take the rehab seriously, it will pay off longterm. If they give you a pain med to take before therapy, by all means take it, you will thank me the first time you forget. I needed the meds for the first 5-6 therapy sessions when they were aiding bending the knee to get further flexion. After that things were okay without meds but you may have a different experience. Do what your body tells you but don't get caught in the pain med trap. There is no need to suffer but again be careful to not over rely. Good luck and by the way it was about a year after surgery before my knees felt like they were really "mine".

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2888 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I had my left knee done in December 2016.

The most important advice I can share is do ABSOLUTELY everything your physical therapist recommends.

I am now just over a year out and it feels great.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've known people who had total knee replacements. They came out alright. It sounds like it's on the same level as getting an oil change now a days.

I know it is still painful but just follow your medical advice. I hope you recover quickly and painlessly as possible.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I've said this before in other threads - ask about a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine. You strap your leg into it, and it slowly bends the knee a given amount at the speed you select. As you get more flexibility, you set it to bend the knee further. Speed is NOT the goal - slow bending and getting more flexibility is the goal.

My late mother used one after her surgery. She was probably about 80 at that time. Three times a day, two hours each time. She would go into the guest room, Dad would strap her leg in, the cat would jump up and curl up next to her, and Mom would fall asleep for a nap. After a couple of days, Dad took the control unit and clicked it another notch, then watched for any signs of discomfort. If she showed no signs, he waited a day or two, then clicked another notch. He never mentioned to her that he had changed the setting.

At her 30 day appointment, the doctor was astounded at how far he was able to measure the knee. Dad related what he had done - you can imagine Mom's shock and the doctor's delight when he heard it.

Depending on your age, surgical procedure, and progression, you might not have to do as many hours a day. It can't hurt (much, at least) to ask.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My wife had one knee replaced 4 years ago and her second a year later. What I saw was they had her vertical that day, then by the third day climbing stairs. Then she came home. It was then PT several times a week.
What worked?
We were able to use a "Game Ready." This circulates ice water through a Velcro pad that fits on the knee. Great for pain and reducing swelling.the second time we bought a cheap one on eBay. BTW those blue ice packs for coolers are great.
Stopped at OT and got a kit: back scrubber, long shoehorn and a neat device to put your socks on.
Bought a recumbent exercise bicycle. She stated with back and forth on the peddles, then worked up.
Then a booster seat for the toilet.
The issue walker isn't great. Walmart has one with a seat, wheels and a brake. Means you can get out to shop or walk.

All this was to get her out of the house and moving.

The PT was the important part. What she did or learned there she practiced at home.

Having been medical I knew about home health care. Didn't get a lot of sleep as I had to help with bathroom, dressing and adding ice to the game ready. Ask about getting support and training for whoever is helping you.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Procedure was done Wednesday, last night worst pain I've ever experienced.

I can’t even begin to imagine. All the sawing and drilling and hammering and locker room talk by the orthopods...it’s like shop class and gym....except in the OR. I sometimes wonder how my patients manage to stay asleep when we do them under neuraxial and sedation.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Hang in there. Do the physical therapy like your life depends on it, because it does. Not living or dying but how you are going to live it. Don't slack off.

My issue was hips, not knees, but I'll tell you after the screaming and the bone saws stop you are going to wonder why you didn't do the op a year ago or do it yourself. The pain stops, mobility returns vastly better than what you had Monday of this week.
My knee replacement buddies say this as well, it isn't just hips.

So cuss if you must, watch the pain meds carefully and rehab like a son of a gun, and my very best to you.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
You are lucky to be inpatient rehab. I had mine done a year ago and was sent home from the hospital in 2 days and still regret it everyday. Work hard then work harder in rehab and maybe you will be one of the lucky ones

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rch73:
Had one in 2014. Best advice I can give is do the rehab religiously. If you do that, all will be well in the end. If you don't, it won't work out so well. First three weeks were tough, then it got progressively better. I was driving at six weeks, and out of rehab by eight weeks. I was 63 when I had it done. Pain free and it's my dominant leg now.

^^^
This, demonstratively!!!

At age 52 in 2010, I was the first outpatient total knee in Charlotte. Four walks in hospital then home same day . Furious rehab with tears running down my cheeks but was driving myself to the gym in three weeks. As stated above, the titanium knee is my good knee now.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I've known people who had total knee replacements. They came out alright. It sounds like it's on the same level as getting an oil change now a days.

Only if, while waiting in the lobby, the associate runs up and drives a wedge into your knee joint with a sledge hammer .
Smile

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I'm doing my rehab it hurts like hell but it's getting better

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My wife had it done last summer on her left knee. Not sure if she had the Game Ready machine but had one that circulated cold water thru a knee pad. She said that helped 100% after PT. Also a booster seat for the toilet.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Had my left knee done two years ago. The ice circulation machine and the constant motion machine was the only way I could sleep. Couldn't stand the pain when it wasn't moving.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I had a total hip done 4 years ago, total knee done on the same leg 2 years ago.Do the rehab and PT as instructed! It will be well worth it in the long run. It is nice to be pain free and have almost full mobility! Best wishes and good luck to you!

Posts: 787 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I hope you're doing better now. This is all very good info, I'm looking at getting mine done, just trying to hold off, the doc doesn't want to do it now because of my age. I have one of those machines with the ice from my shoulder. Get well soon my friend!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Hope you have speedy recovery. Rehab, rehab, rehab is the key.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pwelch001:
I hope you're doing better now. This is all very good info, I'm looking at getting mine done, just trying to hold off, the doc doesn't want to do it now because of my age. I have one of those machines with the ice from my shoulder. Get well soon my friend!

I had my knee done at 43 in 2001. AFTER putting it off for 12 years with various NSAIDS that screwed up my gut for life, Hylagan injections and living with ice packs day in and day out. (It sucks to weigh how many hours you have to ice vs the activity you want to do when you have an active job and lifestyle)
I turn 61 this year...my x-rays still look great and my knee feels great because I *DO NOT* subject my knee to impact. You can subject it to heavy use but not impact!

Pwelch, tell your doc to pound sand and find an orthopod that specializes in replacements. After all, your current doc isn't the one who is living with chronic knee pain, you are.
No need to wait and suffer other consequences for the rest of your life because your doc is a twat.

kz1000 - - it REALLY starts to improve 3-4 weeks post-op.
Wait until you wake up and hear it raining and you didn't even know 2-3 days ahead a storm was coming. Cool
That's what you have to look forward to when you are in PT. (Pain & Torture)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post