SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple products.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple products. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
I have an iPod Touch. Its about 5 years old. For the last 3 years around October the software update usually causes all sorts of hell. I think this is done so people will buy another iPod when they have the money saved at that time of year for Christmas. This year the hell started in February. Update did itself and I could not update or sync my iPod. After an iTunes update that seemed to solve the problem. To put it mildly I'm fucking sick and damn tired of Apple products. My son wants me to switch to Spotify. What say the Sigforum collective?

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Before you update operating software, be sure to read if it will work on your particular device.

I have been using Apple products, of all types, since 1986. I have never experienced anything like you are describing.

Also note, that in many cases, you can go back and re-install older operating systems. Check the support tab on Apple's site, as to the optimum version for your device.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Got tried of the same thing with my iPod years ago. Went to Google Music on my Android phone.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
Before you update operating software, be sure to read if it will work on your particular device.

I have been using Apple products, of all types, since 1986. I have never experienced anything like you are describing.

Also note, that in many cases, you can go back and re-install older operating systems. Check the support tab on Apple's site, as to the optimum version for your device.

This. Most problems are typically operator error. I have a buddy who hates Apple only because android makes it easier to steal music. Lol

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ton of Apple products. They're not perfect, but they're much better than other alternatives IMO.

One thing you definitely want to do is disable automatic updates on all your devices. This way you can decide whether you want to update a device. Generally, as my devices get older, I tend not to update them unless they have developed a definite problem.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

It has been my experience with Apple products, that software updates won't even attempt to install if they are not supported by the hardware. Examples: I have older MacBooks -- current versions of OS X will not attempt to install. Same with older iPad, and I have an Apple Watch, original version. None of these devices will even try to install current operating systems.

Couple of tips:
  • FIRST, check for iTunes updates. Make sure that you have the most current version of iTunes before trying to use it to update other Apple devices.

• When you connect your device to the PC or Mac that has iTunes, you will see an option to make a backup. Do this before you do the update. If push comes to shove, you will be able to restore the device to the pre-update state.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I really like Tidal, as an FYI.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I got tired of replacing my wife's laptops every 2-3 years max because of how hard she is on them. As in, she types so much she would physically wear through the keys. So in 2011 I got her a macbook pro. The only thing I've done to it was about 2 years ago put in an SSD, and that laptop is still faster to use than my 2 year old work Windows laptop. I ended up buying a 2012 macbook pro for myself at home and I will never go back to Windows laptops for personal use.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't do iTunes, and I wouldn't say Apple is perfect, but I'd be disinclined to go back to Android.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Although I have not had Apple products as long as ridgerat, I too have had almost no problems with software updates. Most of the time I update my products as soon as the update comes out, however with the last few updates I have waited a few weeks to update.

Still no issues.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My own experience is Apple allows one too many iOS updates on iPads. Whatever the last iOS version that was allowed on the iPad mini and iPad 2 was too much for the hardware and made them effectively useless from that point forward. Three iPad minis and one iPad 2 that were working fine with the previous version of iOS.

Call it user error, but I turned off automatic updates. That doesn't stop the downloading of the update nor the constant pestering prompts to update. Eventually, my youngest son hit the wrong button. And no, you can't go back to a previous version. There's a limited window (like two weeks) when a new version comes out that you can upgrade then downgrade to the prior version.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
you can identify which generation of i-pod touch it is here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204217

I have the 5th generation i-pod touch, and it won't update to the newest operating system because it's too old, so I too have problems.

I won't buy another. Done with them.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
you can identify which generation of i-pod touch it is here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204217

I have the 5th generation i-pod touch, and it won't update to the newest operating system because it's too old, so I too have problems.

I won't buy another. Done with them.

How is that Apple’s fault? Hardware is a constant. You can’t just keep updating the same hardware for years and years! Lol.

I also have an old iPod touch 5th generation that I still use. Works flawlessly.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post