SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Judge dismisses case against pardoned Arpaio
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judge dismisses case against pardoned Arpaio Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
A federal judge in Phoenix formally dismissed the criminal case against former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio Wednesday, accepting President Donald Trump's pardon of the controversial lawman.

U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton dismissed Arpaio's conviction with prejudice, meaning the matter cannot be tried again. The judge is still mulling a request from Arpaio's attorneys to throw out all rulings in the case.

Arpaio was convicted in July of criminal contempt for what Bolton described as "flagrant disregard" of a 2011 court order to halt traffic patrols that targeted immigrants.

Trump pardoned Arpaio Aug. 25, setting off a firestorm of criticism from immigration advocates and congressional Democrats, more than 30 of whom asked Bolton to declare the pardon invalid and move forward with sentencing.

Three outside legal advocacy groups had also requested that the pardon be declared invalid or unconstitutional, arguing that letting it stand would encourage government officials to flout future court orders on matters involving people's constitutional rights.

Arpaio wasn't in court for Wednesday's hearing.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...pardoned-arpaio.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Good news, for sure!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

Trump pardoned Arpaio Aug. 25, setting off a firestorm of criticism from immigration advocates and congressional Democrats, more than 30 of whom asked Bolton to declare the pardon invalid and move forward with sentencing.

Three outside legal advocacy groups had also requested that the pardon be declared invalid or unconstitutional, arguing that letting it stand would encourage government officials to flout future court orders on matters involving people's constitutional rights.

I am curious what legal grounds these folks gave for requesting the judge to declare the pardon invalid.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think what happened was that when they looked at the alternatives, and what pardons really were (more than I beg your pardon for accidentally bumping into someone), they discovered yet again they were wrong

not that I think Joe was the greatest lawman in Arizona, but he was actually working for the people and not the democrats that have infested the state

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I am curious what legal grounds these folks gave for requesting the judge to declare the pardon invalid.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Charges dismissed by the same judge that convicted him in the 1st place!

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest the democrat men who were hoping for his conviction be treated the same as Sheriff Joe reportedly treated prisoners - put the in pink clothing, and chains - but they'd probably like that. Eek

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Three outside legal advocacy groups had also requested that the pardon be declared invalid or unconstitutional

That's funny. With all the shit we put up with that's not in the Constitution- The Presidential Pardon is!

quote:
The President...shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

ARTICLE II, SECTION 2, CLAUSE 1

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
The President...shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Sounds like a plenary power to me.

Edit to add:

Not that it is fully authoritative, but the following is from Wikipedia's explanation of "Plenary Powers":

quote:
A plenary power or plenary authority is a complete and absolute power to take action on a particular issue, with no limitations. For example, the granting of federal pardons in the United States is one of the plenary powers of the President.[1][2] It is derived from the Latin term plenus ("full").

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The verdict of conviction would not usually have been entered as a judgment until sentencing. The rulings are interlocutory, not final.

With the pardon, and no judgment of conviction, it’s like it never happened, I believe.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thread drift: Interesting. Given that last bit, I'm now wondering how Ford managed to pardon Nixon.

RE: the Dems objecting to Arapio's pardon without legal standing or grounds, in order to pander to their base. There's nothing in their behavior that implies even passing acquaintance with the Constitution, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
quote:

Thread drift: Interesting. Given that last bit, I'm now wondering how Ford managed to pardon Nixon.

RE: the Dems objecting to Arapio's pardon without legal standing or grounds, in order to pander to their base. There's nothing in their behavior that implies even passing acquaintance with the Constitution, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Nixon wasn't pardoned in a case of impeachment. He resigned before impeachment proceedings could be brought. Ford pardoned him for any criminal acts he may have committed.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
quote:

Nixon resigned BEFORE 'Articles of Impeachment' could be brought before the House.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pardoning arpaio was pandering. He's guilty.

It's the pardon that's unpardonable.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
A federal judge in Phoenix formally dismissed the criminal case against former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio Wednesday, accepting President Donald Trump's pardon of the controversial lawman.

Is that some kind of formality, to seal the deal, in a manner of speaking? The president's pardon power is pretty much absolute.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

What was Arpaio guilty of?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
quote:

I believe he was guilty of doing his job.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Is that some kind of formality, to seal the deal, in a manner of speaking? The president's pardon power is pretty much absolute.

Yes, but as in other contexts, the job isn’t over until the paperwork is done.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:

Leftists believe that it is a crime to enforce laws that they don't like. Or pretty much do or say anything that they don't like.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:

Leftists believe that it is a crime to enforce laws that they don't like. Or pretty much do or say anything that they don't like.

My bad. Arpaio did no wrong as far as I'm concerned. Just wondered why sns3guppy said he's guilty, and pandering by the President. We need more Sheriff's to follow Arpaio's lead.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post