SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you pay this medical bill ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you pay this medical bill ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Is it a bill from the hospital or a bill from a debt collection agency? I wouldn't pay it either way since it's impossible to know after 17 years if it was paid by you or your insurance company. Check your state laws, each state is different, but most states have a 3 or 4 year statute of limitations on debt collection. The debt never goes away but after the statute of limitations period passes the collection agency can not sue you in court to recover the debt. Unless of course you pay any amount towards the debt then the clock resets and they can sue you in court. Type up a letter advising the debt collector that the statute of limitations in your state has been exceeded and not to contact you again in the future concerning the debt or you will pursue legal action against the collection agency.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the finger heal properly? How much is the bill?? Do you plan on using the hospital or doctor in the future?

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I had an old bill from surgery for the anesthesiologist. It was years old. I never knew about it. The only reason I found it is because my credit rating went from 845 to 680. They were sending it to my childhood address. I got it resolved. They will ding your credit.

For something this old, notify the credit bureau to remove it, or ding their credit.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For something this old, notify the credit bureau to remove it, or ding their credit

How do you ding someone's credit for a debt not paid?

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
For something this old, notify the credit bureau to remove it, or ding their credit

How do you ding someone's credit for a debt not paid?

Credit bureaus receive reports from creditors, banks, card issuers, etc tax agencies, landlords who sign up for the services. Sometimes they check public records for judgments, liens, etc.

I doubt they express any opinion about the validity of the debt claim, or the accuracy of the information. Many times, when dings are found, it is the result of error, similar name, already paid but release not provided, etc.

I don’t make threats I am not completely prepared to act upon, but you might need to explain to someone reporting a debt like this to the bureau that there may be adverse consequences from their foolishness.

You might get jhe to write a letter. He writes real good letters, expensive, but real good.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It wasn't from Linebarger and Associates, was it?

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Credit bureaus receive reports from creditors, banks, card issuers, etc tax agencies, landlords who sign up for the services. Sometimes they check public records for judgments, liens, etc.

I doubt they express any opinion about the validity of the debt claim, or the accuracy of the information. Many times, when dings are found, it is the result of error, similar name, already paid but release not provided, etc.

I don’t make threats I am not completely prepared to act upon, but you might need to explain to someone reporting a debt like this to the bureau that there may be adverse consequences from their foolishness.

You might get jhe to write a letter. He writes real good letters, expensive, but real good.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you for the information and help.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
It wasn't from Linebarger and Associates, was it?

Dewey, Cheatem and Howe...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't disregard the notice but I wouldn't pay it either.
Call them if it's the hospital, send back a no debt owed letter if it's a collection agency because a non-reply can make a big mess.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
What is a "no debt letter" ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
What is a "no debt letter" ?
It tells them to pound sand.

Basically, "I don't owe this -- there is no debt."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
because a non-reply can make a big mess.

Sometimes a reply can make a bigger mess. Right now it's not messy. It's a bill. Until it's reported to the credit bureaus or a lawsuit is imminent it doesn't mean a thing.

Any reply is a risk. Maybe you tell them to pound sand, they realize the error of their ways, and they start pounding. Or perhaps you respond, they realize you're alive, they've found a good address for you, they have your number on their caller ID, and they DO decide to actively attempt to collect the debt.

In the past I've ignored these types. A few have reported it, but a quick nastygram to the reporting bureaus gets it zapped lickety-split. You know who doesn't want to be named on a FDCPA suit? Credit bureaus.

One of the things that will restart the SOL is acknowledging the debt exists. You can't acknowledge that if you don't communicate with them.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I hope you properly file that (in the round file)

17 years? Nonsense. I wouldn't even respond.

If I did somehow respond, I would say something to the effect that my records show the bill was paid in full. And my records are better than your records. Try to prove otherwise.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Tonight after 5:00 pm I went thru the mail that was delivered today. There was a bill from a hospital that was dated 3/30/2001. As we look back, my son did break his finger back then. We had excellent insurance back then. My question is, would you pay that bill today 17 years later? Maybe the hospital screwed up the billing, but we don't keep records this far away from the event. And why contact us now? We have lived in the same house for 26 years now.
Are we obligated for a bill 17 years ago?
I did call their billing department which was already closed for the day.

Do not talk to them on the phone!! They will record the call. If they call again, ask them to pose any questions in writing. Or better yet, do not answer the phone! Anything important must be in writing.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
Curious, what's the amount? If you want to pay it, and it's 3rd party, it's negotiable.

For me, I wouldn't pay it. The original supplier has some obligation to bill and collect in a timely manner. To stick it to you this many years later because of their own administrative shortcomings is their problem, not yours.

They want $793.00.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
Is it a bill from the hospital or a bill from a debt collection agency? I wouldn't pay it either way since it's impossible to know after 17 years if it was paid by you or your insurance company. Check your state laws, each state is different, but most states have a 3 or 4 year statute of limitations on debt collection. The debt never goes away but after the statute of limitations period passes the collection agency can not sue you in court to recover the debt. Unless of course you pay any amount towards the debt then the clock resets and they can sue you in court. Type up a letter advising the debt collector that the statute of limitations in your state has been exceeded and not to contact you again in the future concerning the debt or you will pursue legal action against the collection agency.

The bill is from the "Childrens Hospital" not a collection agency. His pinky is bend, they were not able to get it completely straight. If IIRC is was a soccer accident.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
How much is it?

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
How much is it?

$793. Two posts above ya'.

And heck no, I wouldn't pay that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
How much is it?

$793. Two posts above ya'.

And heck no, I wouldn't pay that.

Ah, missed that.

Yea, not a chance I’d pay. Unless they could prove. A lot. And even then I’d put up a big fight.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No, but not sure I would just ignore it. Jallen or one of our other legal experts advice is how I would proceed.

But no I would not pay it and it is outrageous that they would send one.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19183 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post