SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The political consequences of Harvey—?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The political consequences of Harvey—? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I don’t want to turn the main Harvey thread into a political debate, but I’m curious what those in the know think about the possible political consequences of the storm. I never learned too much about Katrina and some of what the Federal government was blamed for as far as support response has always been a little vague to me. Is there much likelihood of that’s happening again? “Trump should have made everyone move out of low-lying areas years ago,” “Why doesn’t the Government do something about storms like this?” “Only people of color had their houses flooded,” etc.?

I’m obviously being a little factious, but I’m truly curious. Are there things that should have been done, or could be done now that could be laid at the feet of the politicians and/or others who have responsibility for such things?

I also see in the other thread that the Texas Congressional delegation is supposedly resisting Federal disaster assistance; does that make sense?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I never learned too much about Katrina and some of what the Federal government was blamed for as far as support response has always been a little vague to me.

That was 100% a liberal attempt to make President Bush look bad. Nola fell apart and descended into total anarchy, and instead of allocating blame where it belonged (the citizens of Nola, and the entrenched democrat city and state govt), they blamed Bush instead. And all the idiots in the msm and the sjws played along.

quote:
Is there much likelihood of that’s happening again?

It's always possible, but I doubt this one will have the staying power that Katrina did. This wasn't NEARLY as bad as Katrina, and since it's Texas (not a liberal crap-hole), they managed the crisis relatively well, all things considered.

quote:
Are there things that should have been done, or could be done now that could be laid at the feet of the politicians and/or others who have responsibility for such things?

Liberals LOVE a) shifting blame, and b) taking away personal responsibility from the citizens and giving it to the govt. I didn't see any 'big govt' issues this time around (like the failed levees from Katrina). People who failed to evac their homes in a timely manner have themselves to blame. So, too, do those who didn't stockpile food and water, or prepare a bug-out-bag in advance. Of course, the leftists aren't over-burdened by reason and logic, so ANY misfortune libs face in this storm will be "Trump's Fault."

quote:
I also see in the other thread that the Texas Congressional delegation is supposedly resisting Federal disaster assistance; does that make sense?

Self-sufficiency is The American Way. It's refreshing to see it in action.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always - personal responsibility trumps 'Government Action'.

Realistically - how is the city government supposed to evacuate 500,000 to 1 million people?

As soon as they announce the order - 'You Must Evacuate' the very next question is 'Half a million low income people don't have a method... Mr Mayor - what are you going to do for them??'.

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Realistically - how is the city government supposed to evacuate 500,000 to 1 million people?

As soon as they announce the order - 'You Must Evacuate' the very next question is 'Half a million low income people don't have a method... Mr Mayor - what are you going to do for them??'.

Even so, personal responsibility by itself is likely inadequate in a situation of this magnitude.

There is just no way to move that many people on their own, and no place to move them even if they could.

In areas where there are facilities, there are already people. In areas where there are no people, there are no facilities.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen pictures/videos that go both ways.

Those darn Texas racists, you know those white, black, oriental and hispanic Texans working together, risking their lives to save someone they don't even know. Yep racism in America. [/Sarc off]

But then there was an image of a retirement village/ nursing home where elderly were sitting in wheel chairs with water up to their chests. Something failed very badly in this case.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The media is already reporting Trump Failed in his hurricane response.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Would they do otherwise under any circumstances? You know the answer.

That being the case, who cares?

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Interesting video on the weather channel.

https://weather.com/storms/hur...t-ordered-in-houston

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
The media is already reporting Trump Failed in his hurricane response.

If a masive storm went through and the only impact was a dead bird in the road, the fake news media would be cranking out breathless news reports about the FEMA failures, bitching about state and local incompetence and the racism of evil Trump.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Bush lives in Texas.
Harvey hit Texas.

= it's Bush's fault.

What don't you understand?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Does any here- anyone at all- think for a single second that the news media would have ANYTHING positive to say about the President or his handling of ANY situation? That's nothing but a fantasy.

You know the answer. If they're behaving exactly as we know they will act and we know that they have no capacity to do differently, why is anyone surprised??

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting for the global warming/climate change crowd to pipe up. They never miss an opportunity to advance their agenda, regardless of the weather event.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Even so, personal responsibility by itself is likely inadequate in a situation of this magnitude.

There is just no way to move that many people on their own, and no place to move them even if they could.

In areas where there are facilities, there are already people. In areas where there are no people, there are no facilities.

I don't want to minimalize the magnitude of such an evacuation. But in the other thread someone describes and earlier evacuation and how it was boogered-up, and that it may have worked better had it not been. It's actually a very good post if anyone has not read it.

But I can't understand effectively doing nothing for a category 4 hurricane with 40 plus inches of rain forecasted. "Shelter in place". I lived on the coast and went through several hurricanes, providing Emergency Services during and in the aftermath. I just can't fathom that directive with the information they had.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to trivialize thing but the death toll is 3 I think. Amazing knowing how stupid people are.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
This is an ongoing emergency, hopefully we can wait until Monday morning to start armchair quarterbacking....wishful thinking I know.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Not to trivialize thing but the death toll is 3 I think. Amazing knowing how stupid people are.

I expect that will go up considerably.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a simpleton, it must be Trumps fault.

Out of the Presidents control, will be the gouging, fraud & thievery...on second thought, this also could be President Trumps fault, he will never be a competent enough leader for the DC Swamp. Hang tough Mr. President, God Bless ya!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I can't understand effectively doing nothing for a category 4 hurricane with 40 plus inches of rain forecasted. "Shelter in place". I lived on the coast and went through several hurricanes, providing Emergency Services during and in the aftermath. I just can't fathom that directive with the information they had.

I believe the fact that Houston is actually 40 miles inland made a huge difference in the impacts of the hurricane, from wind and surge anyway.

The rain is a different matter, but as others have said evacuation of the 4th largest metro area in the country is nearly impossible.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
They (the leftist twits) will try shift as much blame as people will let them. The problem is social media and a real fear of not being liked if you say anything that isn't in lock step with "the cool kids". Nobody wants to be the one that comes out and says that Trumps has handled the problem exceedingly well considering the magnitude of this event, for fear of losing Facebook friends, or Instagram and Twitter followers. Seems a persons value anymore is tied to how many likes, friends, or retweets one can get, rather than their morals and values!

As far as there not being a mandatory evacuation for the Houston area....Who was stopping anyone from going? The government cannot do all things for all people and for anyone to say otherwise doesn't understand the concept. Even if there had been a mandatory evac order, a lot of folks would have stayed, thinking they're smarter than the governor or simply just to spite him.

Politics should be the furthest thing from anyone's minds right now, but you know how Democrats use any crisis they can to play upon peoples emotions to elevate their platform. It truly sickens and repulses me but it's already happening and will continue for the foreseeable future.

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The political consequences of Harvey—?

None.

If you actually think any of this is Trumps fault.... you are already so brainwashed that you think everything is Trump's fault.

It's not Trump's fault, it's not Governor Greg Abbott's fault, it's not even the Mayor of Houston's fault. It's an act of nature.

Two more things:
1. Texans are much more independent minded than those in NOLA affected by Katrina.
2. Even so, there will be huge costs to both the State of Texas and to the federal government.

Will that have any political consequence? Probably not.... the federal government will continue to borrow from the future.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post