SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    J C Penney to close 240+ stores
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

J C Penney to close 240+ stores Login/Join 
posted
No surprise, giving the current situation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...onavirus/5214439002/

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
J C Penney, Sears Roebuck, and Montgomery Ward. The places of a time gone by.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was going to happen, Covid or no Covid. Terrible management is the root cause.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yeah when they decided a few years ago they wouldnt have sales any more, and started some new werid color code pricing, we called them dead.

Stupid management and an unforgiving business climate killed them, not COVID

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yooper JC Penny tanked several years ago.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty surprised that 249 stores isn’t even a third of their locations.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't know they had 240 stores left...

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Didn't know they had 240 stores left...

Not to mention more implied by the the +...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
J C Penney, Sears Roebuck, and Montgomery Ward. The places of a time gone by.

Indeed. And just slightly before was Woolworths. That pretty much sums up the retail of my town in the late 70's early 80s's.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Yeah when they decided a few years ago they wouldnt have sales any more, and started some new werid color code pricing, we called them dead.

Stupid management and an unforgiving business climate killed them, not COVID

This. Outside managers overthinking and applying new ideas without testing in target stores. Outide management overtime cripples many business that can't weather repeated stategic errors. Particularly true in service based business.

Remember back when they stopped the sale promotions strategy and how it really tripped them up.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
The writing has been on the wall for Penny's - we went there last Christmas Eve. When I was a kid, Christmas Eve at Penny's was a jam packed mad house. Christmas Eve 2019, there was about 10 people total counting all three floors...

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
B&M's will tumble everywhere. Thank you internet.(sarcasm alert)

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
For myself, who grew up with the JCP Christmas catalogue, this is like losing An old pet.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Nieman Marcus is in dire straits also.

They recently filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy. COVID certainly didn't help, but neither did their approximately $5 billion in debt. In 2018 just the interest on the debt exceeded net profit.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you look at B&M retail's costs be sales dollar, they're vastly higher than on-line. Of course it's augering in, especially retailers that specialize in goods that aren't necessary immediately (think grocery.)

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
One of my last jobs before the Great Lockdown was in a JC Penney, I had to double check with my boss and ask if they were still in business then, this doesn't surprise me one bit. That job was in an already dying mall, I'm guessing I won't be completing that job.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Victoria's Secret is closing 250 stores, however their stock went up.

Victorias Secret Closing

On top of these store closings, we're going to see the closing of many on the edge malls across the country since rents will be gone...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Over my 40+ years of banking, I wore a suit and tie for the first 15 years, a sport coat and tie the next 15 years and dress slacks and oxford shirts the final years. Nearly all of my early suits, and 90% of my shirts were Stafford. I could buy short sleeve shirts in the fall/winter dirt cheap and long sleeve shirts in the spring/summer dirt cheap. When I retired, I had over 200 shirts in every color and pattern and sleeve length. They were quality clothes and I still have many of them that will last the rest of my life.

Today I buy only my white dress shirts from them. For the money, I can't beat their Stafford Super-Shirts for Sundays, weddings and funerals. It's sad to see them go.

We've got a near empty mall now, a large vacant K-Mart, a large vacant Shop-Ko, a large vacant Herbergers and now a vacant Pier 1. JCP is still holding on here- for now.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
It's true. Online transactions have put many local businesses (you know, the ones who pay taxes locally) out of business. The wuhan is going to speed that process up.

Pay close attention to what your local governments start doing as a result of the lack of those tax dollars.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Most of their clothes have turned to absolute crap. Used to wear their Arizona jeans because they were the only ones that fit right. Stopped buying them because they fall apart in a couple months.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post