SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    J C Penney to close 240+ stores
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

J C Penney to close 240+ stores Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been in a JC Penney in at least 10 years. And I only live about 10 miles from the Mall of GA so there is one close by. But these “lockdowns” have obviously hurt a bunch of retail companies that were already hurting. Sad to see, no doubt.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:Pay close attention to what your local governments start doing as a result of the lack of those tax dollars.

They end up using police to start ticketing people for minor violations like going 4 mph over the limit, speed traps, and start having more fees and other ways to milk residents. Things like village registration for cars for $50/year. The old town my MIL lived in charged $20/year for a fee if you have a security system at home. Their justification was it was for false alarms and they had to send a squad car out to take a look. I mean, not that it’s the job of the cops anyway.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing about this makes sense,
Stop to think a minute,

How much buisness was done through all those giant expensive catalogs, over a 50 year time period.

This inner net was supposed to make lives better,easier and profitable.

So , w t.h. ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
J C Penney, Sears Roebuck, and Montgomery Ward. The places of a time gone by.

Indeed. And just slightly before was Woolworths. That pretty much sums up the retail of my town in the late 70's early 80s's.

Interestingly, Woolworths is going strong in Germany.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Part of the blame goes to Marvin Ellison, former CEO, and before that VP at Home Depot. He went to JCP from Home Depot, where he tried (unsuccessfully) to copy Home Depot by stocking JCP stores with appliances. Hey honey, forget the shoes, look at the washer and dryer! Now he's CEO of Lowes. Boy, these fuckers just circulate around.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I was a kid going to these retailers with my family was a real treat. Buying hot spanish salted peanuts from the hot peanuts and snacks island in Sears. Buster Brown shoes from JC Penny at the beginning of each school year. My Dad bought tires for the car and other automotive stuff at Montgomery Wards, I loved that store. Car tires, batteries, motor oil, and 22 rifles.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

When I was a kid going to these retailers with my family was a real treat. Buying hot spanish salted peanuts from the hot peanuts and snacks island in Sears. Buster Brown shoes from JC Penny at the beginning of each school year. My Dad bought tires for the car and other automotive stuff at Montgomery Wards, I loved that store. Car tires, batteries, motor oil, and 22 rifles.

Yes...everything you just said....and

Toughskin jeans

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

When I was a kid going to these retailers with my family was a real treat. Buying hot spanish salted peanuts from the hot peanuts and snacks island in Sears. Buster Brown shoes from JC Penny at the beginning of each school year. My Dad bought tires for the car and other automotive stuff at Montgomery Wards, I loved that store. Car tires, batteries, motor oil, and 22 rifles. Oh yea, don't forget Sears Ted Williams branded rifles and shotguns, made by all the big gunmakers, winchester, marlin, stevens. Back then I believed those guns were actally manufactured by Sears, real Sears guns ! I even had a Ted Stevens canvas winter hunting coat that was the coldest hunting coat I ever owned. That pos coat let every bit of wind into the coat, I froze my ass off in that coat many times. Fond memories.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I think many if not most of us wore JCP briefs, right?
They were the best.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Part of the blame goes to Marvin Ellison, former CEO, and before that VP at Home Depot. He went to JCP from Home Depot, where he tried (unsuccessfully) to copy Home Depot by stocking JCP stores with appliances. Hey honey, forget the shoes, look at the washer and dryer! Now he's CEO of Lowes. Boy, these fuckers just circulate around.

Bob Nardelli is a great example of a piss poor fucker circulating in CEO roles from company to company. He shit on Home Depot for years and they had to pay the bastard over $200 million just to leave. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
For myself, who grew up with the JCP Christmas catalogue, this is like losing An old pet.

Same here...love to find one from the mid eighties just to show my 8yo. Pretty sure all were used as kindling.....

They have been circling the drain for years though. B&M has a place but ,at least for me, a limited one.

When I need something today they are great.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 70’s and early to late 80’s shopping malls were the center of teenage culture and I doubt any of us who grew up I. That pre Internet era would ever imagine what they would look like today. Wife and I went to our local mall yesterday- ghost town, and not just because corona.
The mall has been on the edge of closure/death for years now, often when I go there I can count less than 30 people in the place. Usually a couple old folks doing laps for exercise and a few sitting back with cheap coffee from the food court.
In this era about the only thing I can think of that can’t be bought on line and delivered directly to your door is modern firearms.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s sad, but sometime back in the 90s, someone at corporate decided they didn’t want to serve my needs any longer; they became the Dollar General of department stores.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post