SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a laundry solution for a closet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a laundry solution for a closet Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Replaced the belt. Put the dryer back together. No joy. Drum is the same - twitches a bit then stops. Just electrical hum.

I guess I need to research the motor replacement.

And need to figure out how to remove the drum.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Ugh. Replaced the belt. Put the dryer back together. No joy. Drum is the same - twitches a bit then stops. Just electrical hum.

I guess I need to research the motor replacement.

And need to figure out how to remove the drum.

Do yourself a huge favor and just go buy new front loaders that stack.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea - buying new is tempting and less work for now.

But it's $1500. I found a decent unit that seems to be reviewed well (Whirlpool) but not sure about reliability - seems they all need repairs after a couple of years. So I'm thinking I'll be out $1500 and also back in the same boat as now in 2 years.

Found out that the washer pump was replaced. So, replacing the dryer motor should make the unit almost new again. Last another 5-10 years?

I would like to get separate but stackable units but my siblings for whatever misguided reason are against it (they don't like front loaders but I've been happy with them for 20 years). So, if I go that route, likely I'll be paying the full price (whereas we would all pitch in if we get a stacked unit).

I've got the motor and blower/wheel parts ordered. I think I'll need to pull the unit out of the closet to remove the drum unless I can figure out a way to lift the drum w/ the unit in the closet. I'm weak so I'm not getting enough leverage to lift the ball out of the socket.

Any way, parts arrive tomorrow. I'll go back Sunday to try and replace.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Replaced the motor and blower unit. Motor was frozen stuck. New one rotated freely.

The friggin spring clips to hold the motor in place are a bitch. Hate those things.

But anyway, $160 and 8 hours of labor and all seems to be working.

Thanks for the help!!!

posted Hide Post
I gotta tell you , I have a lot of admiration for a fella that will tackle a job like that and wrangle it through all the way until completed , w/o putting a fist through the wall board.

I can do the one ,two or three step mechanical stuff , but all kinds of muti-step procedures get me frustrated and anxious.

great for you and your patients .

three pats on the back for you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Haha, thanks. I admire the folks here who know how to do this kind of stuff. I watched videos and had to walk through this slowly and figure stuff out along the way. Luckily I could change the parts w/o removing the drum because I couldn't for the life of me get it out.

It's not so much patience (I swore under my breath a number of times; especially w/ those friggin motor housing spring clips). But learning out of necessity. I don't have much money to spend on hiring people to fix this kind of stuff and especially buying new appliances each time they break. And expecting to be much more frugal when I retire.

So, this is more out of necessity and learning how to do this so that I can as much as possible as funds get tighter and more limited.

But thanks for the pats - with thanks to the helpful people here and videos, I'm shamefully proud of myself too. Smile