SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a laundry solution for a closet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a laundry solution for a closet Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Parent's laundry system is broken - the dryer doesn't turn on (push start, hear some hum as the drum tries to turn. It moves a twitch but that's it. But I can turn it manually. May belt?).

It's a stacked Frigidaire unit that fits into a closet (OEM by Electrolux (which sounds reputable)). Not sure if we should hire someone to try fix or not. Guessing about $300 to fix something like this?

Any general recommendations? Fix the Electrolux? Recommendations on brand for stacked unit? All-in-one unit?

Other option is to buy a new stackale unit but they all sounds like crap (function and/or reliability issues for $1200).

How are these all-in-one units? Single unit that washes and dries? Work well or stay away? Something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirl...-Cashmere/1000575625

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How old is their current unit? If it's over 10 years old, probably best to replace, it does sound like a belt though.

My solution would be to buy new Whirlpool or Maytag front loaders and stack them with the stacking kit. Much larger capacity, cheaper to operate, and better at cleaning.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
The way I look at things is what harm is it to take it apart look at things inside. Explore if you can’t find anything out then you either have it taken apart for a the tech or it’s easier to move. It might be something as easy as a belt. In my RV my all in one washer/dryer the heating went out in the dryer side I open d it up and found the part that went bad was no longer available. I chose to trash it and get a new one it was a great decision. New unit works so much better with new features the wife loves. But it did not hurt for me to pull it apart and explore.

Just do it unplugged! Or in the words of Elmer Fudd “Be VERWY VERWY CAREFUL,” Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
The way I look at things is what harm is it to take it apart look at things inside. ...

Just do it unplugged! Big Grin

If it is a belt, it's a relatively cheap fix. Except for the Advil or Tylenol you'll need after contorting yourself to get to the vent disconnect. (Yes, voice of experience here, but my contortion was with an RV stackable unit, which is an installation of a different breed, which Ozark can attest to.)

Either way, cheap to figure it out, and you may learn things too. I'm with Ozark.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a stack unit by Kenmore that we got about 16 years ago. I have made no less than 10 repairs to it over the years for various things and it just continues to chug along.

I have been able to find videos on youtube for pretty much everything I have had to fix so that is probably your best bet if you want to fix yourself.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about taking a look. But i'm no spring chicken, I'm not as good at this kind of stuff as ya'll are and my parents are 2+ hours away (so multiple trips - troubleshooting and the ordering parts and then fixing).

I'm leaning toward trying this if they have been otherwise happy with the unit. If they weren't all to happy anyway, then maybe time to buy (but sounds like we'll be buying something every few years).

I want to try stackable units (separates but stackable) instead of integrated pre-stacked but not my siblings aren't on board. I love front load, they don't seem too.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of full size units that stack by Whirlpool/Maytag (family of 6 though). Full disclosure, I’m an employee. That said, I’ve had nothing but luck with my Maytag front load set. My whole extended family has them. Check your email, I sent something that may be helpful.

Regardless of brand, if your issue is a belt it’s a cheap fix if you’re up for it.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
I’ll Let ya know when I’m done.
Installing a GE stacking unit for my tenant. It has issues out of the box. We are literally dealing with it coming out of the weekend.

It’s $1300 unit down from $1500 at Home Depot....

Cheers.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I suggest you stay away from the All-In-One units. They don't seem to do either wash or dry very well.

Consumer Reports Reviews

Unless, of course, there have been remarkable advancements in the product.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, I looked at a few videos. I'm going to drive to my parent's house and see if I can troubleshoot a bit. New models sounds like crap and likely have to fix something in a couple years anyway.

Since the drum twitches when I push Start, I'm assuming that the system is basically functional but something is binding such that the drum won't rotate. I'm guessing either something wrong w/ the belt and/or the ball socket in the back is bad. Any other ideas?

If I want to check at least these two things, can you give me some hints on how to start?

Do I need to disconnect the unit (water lines, vent line, power, drain) and pull the whole unit out of the closet? Hope not because that sounds like a pain. Not even sure how to access the rear to do that.

Or can I just remove front panels from the dryer and maybe the panel between the dryer and washer to access all that I need? Maybe use a ladder to go over the top of the dryer to reach the back panel? Will the dryer support my weight?

Hints, tips appreciated.

posted Hide Post
You're going to want to pull it out of the closet to access the back. The electric cord and hoses should all be long enough for it to come out past the door enough to disconnect or re-connect as needed. Without taking the back cover off you're just pissing in the wind. It could be the motor, belt, a pulley, a tensioner...….try turning the dryer drum by hand a little bit, then try start....see what turning the drum by hand feels like...….it could also be the door switch. Depress it with the door open and see if the light goes off inside. Also check the circuit breaker for the dryer.

I have a set of Whirlpool duet front loaders that are stacked that I bought in Feb 2010, I put 30 loads a month through them till December 2013, till I moved and my tenants have been using them ever since, they have never failed to work nor needed a service call. Not all new products are junk. I bought a set of Whirlpool cabrio's in Jan 2014, they too have been perfect for the 5 years I've owned them.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Okay, I'll try to pull the unit out of the closet - hope it's light enough for weak old me to handle.

I tried getting the drum to turn before. I opened the door and would hit start both w/ and w/out pushing the door switch. With the door switch pushed in, the drum would twitch and maybe move a few millimeters or so; I'd hear some electrical hum. Without depressing the door switch, nothing happens and no sounds. So, I think the door switch is okay.

I tried rotating the drum manually and it was a little hard but I could do it in one direction. The drum wouldn't rotate in the other direction.

I'm guessing that something mechanical is preventing the drum from rotating but to be honest, I don't know enough to determine what might be wrong based on the symptoms I'm seeing.

But I'm guessing the twitching and the hum is a relatively good sign. I saw some video of the belt coming off the drive wheel. Maybe that's this case?

So, pull the unit out and start by taking off the back panel?

I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Konata88, where abouts do you live? Maybe some local folks will volunteer to assist.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Some of the appliance parts sites on the internet have some very could help and repair videos.

Look-up your machines belt and watch a couple repair videos, then you can get an idea of what's involved in the disassembly and assembly of your unit. I changed the belt in a similar dryer once and it wasn't that tough after watching some videos.

Posts: 1541 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the belt was broken or off of the pulley. I would think the drum would turn very easily in either direction. I'm not expert, but it sounds more like an issue with the motor that turns the drum. Not sure if they have a start capacitor to get them going or don't need one.

posted Hide Post
Check out www.repairclinic.com they have a ton of useful info. You should be able to search by problem and they will reference the replacement parts.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys. We'll see what kind of rabbit hole this ends up being for me. Smile

I've been looking at the RC website - nice place. I wish there was a little more of "if you're seeing this, this and this, test this" kind of thing. But still, lots of good info there. It's what leading to actually take a look.

posted Hide Post
looks a lot like my unit that I've had apart 4ish times (drum bearing, heating element, door seal, fixing oops, etc)

-You won't need to move it out if you can get the screws on top out - looks like plenty of space.
-Flip the breaker, no need to unhook the rest.
-Plan to vacuum all the lint out.

Unscrew the angled panel above washer. wiring diagram was behind this panel on mine.
Unscrew control panel
Unscrew top
Remove door
You basically have the dryer apart.
Drum is awkward, might need a 2nd set of hands to get belt off.
Does it heat when it tries to run?
Did it squeal for a while before stopping completely?
In order of likelihood (IMO): drum bearing, belt tensioner/belt, motor.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Multiple times? Lucky you. Smile

If this is really the same type of unit (it's a Frigidaire OEM'ed by Electrolux - model FLSE60RGS1), then really appreciate the tips.

I'm bringing a Fluke DMM, a set of screwdrivers (slotted and phillips), a set of wrenches, a set of socket wrenches, a Milwaukee M18 drill.

After pushing Start and the little drum twitch (and a little hum), nothing happens. No rotations, no heat, no other noise.

I hope it's the drum bearing and/or belt. The motor might be hard for me (I'll need to look at videos on how to troubleshoot and replace).

Mom likes the unit so will be trying to fix it before buying new.

Are you busy on Friday? I'll buy steaks and beer. Smile Actually, after watching videos, as long as I can get access, I think I can fix this.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Now I know what you meant by vacuum the lint out. Maybe all the lint prevented the motor from turning.

Ok. The unit had no symptoms - it just stopped working.

I tried to start and it turned a little (1/8 rotation?) then stopped. I took the front panels off and the drum seems to rotate easily on the rear ball support.

The belt looks a little worn but is intact.

The blower rotates but is a bit stiff. Easier to rotate the drum.

How do I check if the motor is ok?

How do I remove the drum from the rear ball support? I can’t pop it loose. Do I need to remove the top panel and lift the drum from the outside top? I’ve been trying to lift the drum from the inside.