SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stealing from the Dead
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stealing from the Dead Login/Join 
posted
CEDAR RAPIDS — A Cedar Rapids man is accused of stealing brass vases from more than 100 gravesites at Cedar Memorial Cemetery.

According to the Linn County Attorney’s Office and Cedar Rapids public safety spokesman Greg Buelow, officers pulled over Michael A. Carroll, 40, no permanent address, around 1:07 a.m. July 11 in the area of First Street and First Avenue West for a faulty brake light. Buelow said Carroll was ultimately arrested for providing false identification, violating a no contact order, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, failure to provide proof of financial liability and no driver’s license. He also had two warrants out of Cedar County for child endangerment.

Police said when they took inventory of the contents in the 2001 Chevrolet Suburban Carroll was driving, they discovered 33 vases commonly found on gravesites. The following day, the police department received a report from Cedar Memorial informing them that 118 brass vases had been stolen, dating back to the end of June.

Buelow said the vases were valued at approximately $25,000.

Investigators learned that a majority of the vases had been sold to recycling centers, including 72 to Marion Iron. Buelow said Marion Iron saved the vases and cooperated with police in the investigation.

“They knew something was unusual about this transaction,” Buelow said.

Police ultimately recovered all but 13 of the vases, Buelow said.

Carroll was arrested again on Aug. 10 and faces one count of first-degree theft, a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone needs to get beat with a brass vase.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange things happen in cemeteries at night.

Like complete beat downs.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have my grandfather's bronze grave marker here at the house. It was given to me by my cousin who picked it up after a visit revealed a mower had knocked it loose and damaged it.

Beautiful Catholic cemetery here in St. Louis surrounded by the hood today. He didn't want a local taking it to the scrap yard.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The raccoons must have been involved.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Sounds like someone needs to get beat with a brass vase.

Yep. This guy sounds like a real winner.
Stealing from a graveyard, that's just wrong on so many levels.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During the last run up in metal prices the bronze vases and any thing of value not bolted down was being swiped in cemeteries including my grandparents vases

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a large cemetery on my beat and it had an amazing number of folks skulking around it after dark. When I ran across a skulker, they often told me they were grief stricken and wanted to visit the grave of a recently deceased loved one.
Minor problem: Skulker could not name the deceased or take me to the grave. Since the bone yard was clearly maked as closed after dark, Skulker was cited for trespassing.
Creepy.
I also had a Marianist Seminary on my beat that had a Grotto. Lots of really odd folks in the Grotto after dark. Funny.... very few were Marianists.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local mortuary here in town which, is the primary mortuary for minorities, used to sell gallon jugs of gold teeth to the pawn shop down the street from his business. Is that even legal? Long time ago I might add.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People steal anything that isn't nailed down, folks buy artificial flowers to put on graves and jackasses steal them, people put a toy on a kids grave, it gets stolen. Me thinks that someone needs a class a ass whipping.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
used to sell gallon jugs of gold teeth to the pawn shop down the street from his business. Is that even legal?

When I worked at a pawn shop in high school the local crematoriums brought in gold teeth once a year. Not a gallon jug full, but still a fair amount.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift. So what would be an appropriate punishment for this excuse of a man were he to be found guilty on all the charges he is facing. I am asking this in all sincerity so please consider this in your responses.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:
Slight thread drift. So what would be an appropriate punishment for this excuse of a man were he to be found guilty on all the charges he is facing. I am asking this in all sincerity so please consider this in your responses.

quote:
Carroll was arrested again on Aug. 10 and faces one count of first-degree theft, a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Sounds like the longer the better for everyone with this guy.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I ask because a person at the dog park and I were having a conversation about just this type of person. She was a feel good liberal and I took a more conservative view.

Her..... well he was just trying to survive, no home, non violent, we should help him get back on his feet with programs not jail, the cost of incarceration would be too much, can't lock up everyone, his situation might not be his fault, needs more social programs....

Me ..... he is a total loser who has repeatedly made horrible choices and proved again and again that he refuses to obey the laws of society. Should lock him up for a long while to protect hard working, law abiding members of society and their property. It would be cheaper to lock him up than to pay the huge costs of all his petty crimes, burglaries, car break ins, shoplifting, car accidents, drugs, diseases and associated costs that go along with the crimes a non employed or employable person does each and every day to survive. Sucks to be him.

Now in reality he might need a little of both, but damn I'm tired of people who think they can do anything with absolutely no consequences.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It's far too common. Seen a couple stories where people catch these idiots with game cameras. My family experienced a similar theft, but it was a LED light up cross that definitely did not blow away. Some of the sorriest people.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:
Now in reality he might need a little of both, but damn I'm tired of people who think they can do anything with absolutely no consequences.

"Help" is what you look for BEFORE you decide to steal and rob. I will help you find it if I can.

If we catch you AFTER, I haven't the slightest interest in "helping" you. My priority becomes giving society a vacation FROM YOU, for as long as possible.

But I'm cynical and jaded.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post