SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Appliance brad... if you have a moment.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appliance brad... if you have a moment. Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
The house we bought a few months ago came with a whirlpool French door refrigerator. The mode number is WRF560SEYM02. It seems to have a leaking issue, maybe 3-4 times a week there will be a one or two trails of water coming from underneath. It seems to happen randomly. I'm not sure if it's related, but about once a month I haven been having to chip away a thick sheet of ice from the floor of the freezer.

It seems like a quality refrigerator, and it definitely wasn't cheap. Any ideas?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
The drain hole from the defrost heater is plugged, Broccoli floret seed is my guess, The ice forms when the water builds up during a freeze cycle, and runs out some exit at other times. BTDT.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
The drain hole from the defrost heater is plugged, Broccoli floret seed is my guess, The ice forms when the water builds up during a freeze cycle, and runs out some exit at other times. BTDT.

That could make sense. Is there a way to test that without disassembling everything?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Chip out the ice.
Find the hole.
Poke hole with tooth pick.
Pour very hot water in bottom of freezer.
You may need to pull fridge from the wall
and examine the path/pipe from freezer to
the catch pan.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
You need a Duck Bill Kit. It's a common issue with the french door bottom mounts made before they changed the defrost drain. The kit is free but you have to have an authorized servicer install it and you are responsible for the labor.

Basicly, the water doesn't drain away fast enough and it freezes in th edrain. Every defrost cycle after that, the water freezes on the floor of the freezer until it runs out under the door onto the floor.

You happen to have an Uncle in the appliance business, look for an e-mail.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post