SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Am I Crazy For Considering Saving A Ten-Year-Old Truck?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I Crazy For Considering Saving A Ten-Year-Old Truck? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Save your money to fix the stuff that really matters, like fuel line or brake line rust.

I had an independent mechanic go over the vehicle right after I bought it. He identified a couple rusted lines and the dealer cut me a deal to replace them.

quote:
Sorry for the rant...I got a little carried away, but the direction of the auto industry is a pet peeve of mine.

I don't blame you. I figured on swapping the TrailBlazer for a Basic Pickup Truck, as, with me retired, vehicle diversity seemed like a good idea, and I have Plans for home renovation and yard work.

Did you know that nobody makes a plain old half-ton pickup with a plain old cab and 8' bed any more? Nope. Crew cab is the closest you can come, then you get only a 6½' bed. Want a full-length bed? Got to go heavy duty Mad

quote:
TL/DR: Embrace the rust. Keep the trailblazer.

I'm still considering it.

quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Check into some stuff called Fluid Film, get some and stop the rust in it's tracks. Save your money and enjoy a few more years.

I wonder if that's the stuff my wife said she'd read about? Supposed to "neutralize" rust. Sounded like a liquid form of naval jelly?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had an independent mechanic go over the vehicle right after I bought it. He identified a couple rusted lines and the dealer cut me a deal to replace them

Good to know. If that stuff has already been taken care of, even more reason to hang on to the truck.

I hear ya on the pickups, too. I think if I HAD to buy new, I'd look for a fleet dealer and try to pick up a base model work truck from a cancelled corporate or .gov order...I think that's pretty much the only way you can get a basic truck anymore.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth one of the managers at work has one of these with like 230k on it. The power train is robust.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Oh man, I WISH I owned a 10 year old truck. Big Grin

There are three little trucks in my life... 2001, 1995 & 1988. Ten years old would be like brand spanking new! Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my 18 y.o Pontiac grand prix had 8o,000 miles on it when an engine gasket went out, it allowed coolant in too the engine, where it was not supposed to be.

$1,200.00 was the estimate to fix, better than new to have it fixed.

I sold the car "as is" to a fella who had to have it.

he and his brother worked on it for three weeks and put $120.00 worth of parts in it. and he drives it like he stole it , daily . Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I had a '77 Pontiac grand prix, two tone silver, with all the bells and whistles including a built in CB radio and something like a 400 cid engine... damn that was a great car.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Have a 1997 Toyota Corolla parked in my garage. Until the monthly repair bills start costing as much as a new car note + insurance, I'll keep the Corolla. I'm nowhere NEAR that monthly cost. Oh...and I'm pushing 179,000 miles on it and considering a $2,000 paint job to keep it going for another 179,000 miles.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm driving a 2004 Silverado Z71 crew cab which I bought new. Haven't had a car payment for 10 years. A year and a half ago I had the rusty cab corners, rocker panels and rear bumper replaced for $2,200. That's the largest single repair expense I've had. I've been meticulous about maintenance and will continue to be so. Average repair costs over time are way less than a new car payment. Still a great looking truck and runs like a top. It has 209,000 miles now and I plan to drive it to 300,000 miles. Sure there's some risk but the truck has been trouble free and dependable so I feel pretty good it.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
S

quote:

Did you know that nobody makes a plain old half-ton pickup with a plain old cab and 8' bed any more? Nope. Crew cab is the closest you can come, then you get only a 6½' bed. Want a full-length bed? Got to go heavy duty Mad

Not true Sir, see link

http://www.maxieprice.com/Vehi...nville-GA/2878116503

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
S

quote:

Not true Sir, see link

http://www.maxieprice.com/Vehi...nville-GA/2878116503

I stand corrected. Cool! Thanks Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohioup:
I'm driving a 2004 Silverado Z71 crew cab which I bought new. Haven't had a car payment for 10 years. A year and a half ago I had the rusty cab corners, rocker panels and rear bumper replaced for $2,200. That's the largest single repair expense I've had. I've been meticulous about maintenance and will continue to be so. Average repair costs over time are way less than a new car payment. Still a great looking truck and runs like a top. It has 209,000 miles now and I plan to drive it to 300,000 miles. Sure there's some risk but the truck has been trouble free and dependable so I feel pretty good it.

Nice price on the work. I just got quoted $3k just for the rockers. Hence the reason I am probably going to go the LineX route.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
My truck is 18yrs old.
You can guess which side of the decision I'm on.
I've had 13yrs without a truck payment.
Doing the math, a person can bank some decent money that more than covers any repairs that Will be forthcoming.
I'm averaging $550 a year in repairs.
That's cheap to own in my book.
But the thruck is no longer my daily driver either.

Freshly clay barred & waxed.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well...

I bought $100 worth of speakers (three), yesterday. (Front left mid-bass woofer and left rear full-range are dead.) I'll install 'em myself and leave the existing Bose system in place.

I'll swap back windows and side-view mirrors with my wife's soon-to-be-junked 2003 TrailBlazer. That'll fix my rear-window defogger problem and give me heated side-view mirrors.

If the insurance company will fix the right rear bumper/tail-light problem I'll pay to get the tailgate and front bumper repainted. Those things will address 99% of the visible external cosmetic issues, other than some relatively minor parking lot door dings.

Total cost to me: Est. $1,000, max. If I come in much under that, perhaps I'll pay a nearby place to have it detailed, inside-and-out.

If I can drive it for another two-three years before it starts getting ugly or something major breaks I'll be both happy and money ahead.

Thanks again for all the follow-ups, everybody!

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Or Houston....used car capitol of America.

quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I say drive it as is until it starts costing you money. You live in MI, everybody has at least one rusty shitbox

You could drive down to GA and buy a rust free one for the amount you are talking about investing.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post