SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ever deal with Bob's Watches?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever deal with Bob's Watches? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hapevo:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
Since it's a Rolex they don't depreciate that much at all and depending on the age they go up in value.

It isn't age. It is the model. A 40 year old Datejust won't be very valuable. The first reference number of a GMT will be valuable. Certain Submariner variants can be very valuable. Age alone won't make a Rolex valuable.

Again, Bob's offer is not a low-ball. It is what you expect by selling to a re-seller. It will be a lower price than you get by selling it yourself, but you save the trouble of selling it yourself. I have no interest in Bob's Watches, but he isn't cheating you with that offer.

Thanks jhe888. It's a GMT I bought new in 1991.

If it has the coke bottle bezel it is sought after. But in general Bob is going to sit on a 1991 rolex for a while before it sells. Post a picture of it here and what you want or are willing to take for it and one of us might snap it up and save you the hassle. Sounds like you have a few interested people in this thread.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks jhe888. It's a GMT I bought new in 1991.

That is a nice watch, and people like GMTs a lot, but they won't be beating down the door to get a 1991 model. I like the older ones better than the ones they are making now - the cases are sleeker and much better looking than the current model.

Condition is everything. A 1991 model isn't worth any premium to a collector - it is just a good watch. The first GMTs from the very early '60s go for a lot more money.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
If it has the coke bottle bezel it is sought after. But in general Bob is going to sit on a 1991 rolex for a while before it sells. Post a picture of it here and what you want or are willing to take for it and one of us might snap it up and save you the hassle. Sounds like you have a few interested people in this thread.[/QUOTE]

It currently has a black bezel installed, but I have the Pepsi bezel also. Once I zero in on a value I'll list it.

Thanks!

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The "Pepsi" bezel in blue and red is the original color scheme. There were all black ones early on, too. When the GMT Master II came out in the mid '80s, they came with the black and red "Coke" bezel and the Pepsi was unavailable for a while. In the late '80s, another revision came with the Pepsi again.

There have been other variants available at various times - the brown and gold "Root Beer," the solid color bezels when they switched to ceramic bezel inserts, and some very rare variants. Now there is the "Batman" blue and black version and a solid black version. I am no expert, and am not familiar with the dates and which models could be had in which ways.

In the current models, the Pepsi bezel is only on the white gold models, which are very pricey.

The Pepsi is the oldest color scheme, and to my eyes the most attractive. It is probably the one that is the most popular over time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't want it to seem like re-sellers are going to rip the guy off but at the end of the day they are in it to make a buck off the re-sell so of course depending on the party they will try to purchase it for as low as possible. Unless desperate and need of cash ASAP it's best to sit on it and sell for the right price and to the right buyer.

Pretty much any Rolex is going to be worth more than what you paid for it new back in the day, I just had a lady come in with her Husbands Oyster from the early 50's. I would have to really research it but depending on the condition and demand I've seen them go for up to $1,500 and up easily and he probably spent like 300 dollars for it back then. So 3-4 times minimum your purchase price for something old and worn is not a bad deal.

Had another customer again husbands watch a Breitling Chronomat from the early 90's really good condition after looking into it at most $1200.00 if she finds the right buyer. Which is sad he probably paid at least double that price if not more over 25 years ago, it's just the nature of most brands they don't hold their value like a Rolex or Patek.

As for Hapevo's watch depending on the condition, bezel mint or scratched, does it have the sun burst/spider effected dial, original hands, needs a service or polish, box and papers etc will determine the value.

The Coke and Pepsi Bezel GMT's from that era are really collectible right now since the current new model only comes in 18k white gold and at this years Basel Watch Convention, Rolex didn't release a steel version like many people had hoped. So if you want a Steel GMT Coke or Pepsi you have to go vintage.

On average for a mint or really good condition example you can easily get $5,000 - $6,000 for it maybe a little more anything close to $7,000 is the upper limits it can sell for.

I had a customer with a mint Coke Bezel model from 1987 no box but he had the original receipt and papers and he paid $1,800 and change for his and he was offered at a local Rolex AD 6k on the spot cash. Unfortunately the guy was greedy and wanted a lot more. I told him 7k is pushing it and meet somewhere in the middle. So over 3 times what he paid for something he only wore a handful of times and has had it sitting in the closet unworn and bought 30 years ago is not a bad deal for a guy who now only wears cheap Casio watches and wouldn't mind some extra cash.

I'll have to check my settings but my email is cman1701@yahoo.com

Over heard about a dealer awhile back who had a Pepsi New in Box never worn that was lost in the vault and uncovered, they have it listed at $8,500 bucks with no takers even hardcore collectors. So this gives you an idea on what the market says at that price even for one that is still brand new.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dfens,

Posts: 966 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

If it has the coke bottle bezel it is sought after. But in general Bob is going to sit on a 1991 rolex for a while before it sells. Post a picture of it here and what you want or are willing to take for it and one of us might snap it up and save you the hassle. Sounds like you have a few interested people in this thread.[/QUOTE]

It currently has a black bezel installed, but I have the Pepsi bezel also. Once I zero in on a value I'll list it.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

It's the original bezel color (based on reference that will largely determine its desirability -- along with condition and completeness of course). I'm in the market for a Coke GMT, or a polar Explorer II.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A Polar Explorer II is a handsome choice. I need a white-faced watch.

posted Hide Post
I just bought a 3186 movement polar EXP 2 16570 2 weeks ago. I plan to keep it forever so i wasn't concerned that it didn't come with box and papers. love it.

I think unless you are in a hurry to sell it today, if you hold out for a private sale you will get much more than a shop will offer you.

one other thing to consider is that unless you can prove it was serviced recently, preferably by a rolex service center, any buyer ( especially a reseller) has to build in a cost of a service to the tune of $500-$1000

whatever you decide, the good news for you as a seller is the price of the GMT has really shot up in the last few years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post