SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto Techs -- A Moment -- 1995 Ford F150 Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto Techs -- A Moment -- 1995 Ford F150 Question Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
My younger daughter drives "Tink" the truck. It is a great truck. Except the cigarette lighter does not emit electrons nor hold a charging cord for the phone.

I would love to hear how you all might attack this problem. Dashboard area repairs are always so much fun, I'd love to have a few tips before attempting.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd go to Vato Zone or NAPA and buy a dash mounted power port and screw it onto the bottom of the dash and wire it in. Youtube has several videos showing how to do that, and some on diagnosing and repairing dashboard ziggy butt lighters, too.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
A) Check Fuse.

B) If fuse is problem, purchase adapter for lighter to USB

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
If it is the one in the ash tray (unsure on a '95), the ash tray assembly comes out with 2 screws. Then you can access the 12v plug, 2 wires. After years of use with the lighter, I am betting the plug is burned up. Get another 12 volt plug from the auto parts store and rewire it. Of course, check the fuse too.

A fairly simple repair, and shouldn't involve the whole dash removal. Good luck!

ETA: Here is the dash diagram from LMC Truck (very useful, imo):

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=37

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Lots of great insights thanks. Both sockets are D-E-D. Will work on ashtray first with LMC insights.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
You say "both." I am not seeing a second one in the dash diagram. Is it possible someone added a second, and piggybacked off the first? If so, was probably overloaded and blew the fuse.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post