SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Tire Expert Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Tire Expert Question Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I finally need new tires on my 2011 Nissan Armada SL 4x4. It has low miles and is really only driven in bad weather (snow) and when towing our JayFlight travel trailer. Thus, I need a good tire for snow and for towing. It's a 4x4 but it isn't going to Moab to play with the Jeeps. That being said, I would like a decent looking tire. Thanks in advance!

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either of these from Michelin. Run them on our 2015 Seqouia and ran the MS2's on other trucks. MS2's are hard to beat.

http://m.michelinman.com/US/en...efender-ltx-m-s.html

http://m.michelinman.com/US/en...oducts/ltx-m-s2.html

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do a little research on tirerack.com .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Michelin fan, for 'ALL Weather, all TERRAIN' I run Michelin AT/2's and they really grab the road no matter if its raining, snowing, sleeting, etc. They're not loud, provide a good ride and they wear really good to boot.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Look at the Nokian Rotiiva HT tires. I have the Rotiiva AT tires on my 4Runner, and very impressed.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am a big fan of Michelin and have had the ltx MS/2s on my expedition for 5 years and 50k miles or so.....never once lost control in anything.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I just bought a set of the new Firestone Destination A/T's for my truck, and really like them. Good sidewall to avoid rock holes (most of our side/neighborhood streets up here in AK are still gravel/dirt) back in September. I have been impressed with them. They've handled the winter very well, so well in fact, that for the first time I didn't even bother switching out for my winter tires (normally I run Blizzacks during the winter).

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have bought nothing but Yokohama Geolanders for years now.
Great in the snow. I only tow a 4wheeler and have had zero issues.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
The Firestone Destination A/Ts that came OEM on my Cherokee, aside from being the #1 rated LT A/T tire on TR at the time (which is why I didn't replace them) have gone for an unbelievable 73K miles and I'm not to the wear bars yet, although I will be replacing them before winter weather hits next year.

Ride and noise are excellent. Sidewalks are too thin for actual rock crawling, but for general driving and off-road capability when necessary (I can get anywhere on the farm without difficulty) they've been excellent!

That said, when I replace them, it will be with TR's currently #1 ranked LT A/T pick, which I believe is the BFG A/T KO2. Don't buy purely on brand. Read reviews and rankings. ALL manufacturers make excellent, average, and shit tires.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I sell more Mastercraft (private label of Cooper) than any brand. I run them on my own vehicles because of their fantastic value and great performance. Most people would go with the Courser AXT in your application. I might even consider the less aggressive HSX. It depends on where you live and the typical road surface you operate on in the winter. (there is a rebate program on right now too)

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Michelin LTX A/T 2s lasted 30,000 miles on my F-350 with 50% of that towing. They wore evenly, they were rotated, and the alignment was checked twice. YMMV, literally. What I don't like about the A/T 22s is there are two different tread depths. At around 50% wear, you wind up with a highway tread. They also chipped and chunked. I literally had entire blocks of tread tear off.

For your use, I'd go with the Defender LTX M/S which is Michelin's newest version of the tire. If it were a big savings, I'd be tempted by the Cooper Discoverer SRX or Mastercraft Courser HSX. More agressive treads tend to be less stable for towing, but if you really want an all terrain tire, I'd look at the Cooper Discoverer A/T3.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I've heard great things about Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. If I was putting a set of tires on a light truck or SUV, that's what I'd go with.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
I've heard great things about Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. If I was putting a set of tires on a light truck or SUV, that's what I'd go with.

I was just going to recommend these. If they make them in the size you need, I wouldn't hesitate. TireRack doesn't carry them though, IIRC I got mine from DiscountTireDirect.

They've been excellent on my 4x4 Suburban.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a Michelin fan.

Firestone Destinations and Yokohama Geolanders are the two I see recommended everywhere.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The Michelin LTX A/T 2s lasted 30,000 miles on my F-350 with 50% of that towing. They wore evenly, they were rotated, and the alignment was checked twice. YMMV, literally. What I don't like about the A/T 22s is there are two different tread depths. At around 50% wear, you wind up with a highway tread. They also chipped and chunked. I literally had entire blocks of tread tear off....

I had a similar experience on my work truck. They lasted about 39K, but there were chunks missing from the outer tread blocks.

For cars, I love Michelin. For trucks, not so much.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tokyo Open Country ATII or for something more aggressive looking and even better in snow the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I love "What tire?" threads, thirty posts thirty different suggestions!

I'm a Hankook dealer and have run them on many vehicles over the last 25 years, take a look at their Dynapro ATm's. I have those on my Pilot and the MTs on my Rubicon.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post