SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Credit card wallet car key
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit card wallet car key Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Instead of the regular key fob remote, does anybody have the remote that's in the shape of a credit card that you can keep in your wallet (it includes a mechanical key as well)?

With proximity sensors (which I might ask to disable in which case this will not be relevant), I'm thinking it might be convenient to have the credit card key. Easier to carry, don't need to find keys, etc.

Any downsides? Breaks easily, whatever?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Mazda CX7 that we used to own had that. While it was roughly the shape of a credit card, it was a bit too thick to be kept in a wallet. (About the same thickness as 5 or 6 credit cards stacked on top of each other.)

It was handy to slip in your pocket, or tuck in the wife's clutch purse. But it's not something I'd shove in a wallet and sit on. You'd need a huge Costanza wallet to hold something that thick. And big wallets like that tend to curve a lot, so I'd be very concerned about the flimsy plastic shell breaking.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I also have a CX-7, and no, I would not put that monster in my wallet!!

Also, if you have a RFID-blocking wallet, the key won't work.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just carry a spare door key with the plastic grip shaved off for each vehicle. Don't carry any of our key fobs...enough crap in my pockets already.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I liked the credit card key saturns came with.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I liked the credit card key saturns came with.

My first truck, a 1991 Ford Ranger, had the same thing. Great idea IMO.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Just tape the door and ignition key to a business card.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2017 Subaru has never heard of a car key.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post