SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microwave bacon cooking...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microwave bacon cooking... Login/Join 
posted
*Gasp*
I know cooking bacon in the microwave isn't ideal but sometimes it has to be done. I've been looking into the ceramic/pottery coffee mug looking bacon cookers but read a lot of mixed reviews on them breaking. Anyone know a great brand or potter for these where I don't have to worry about quality issues?

Posts: 764 | Location: Middle GA | Registered: May 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I have used this one for years, and it makes some pretty crispy bacon and clean up is easy since all of the grease stays in the bottom of the tray.

http://www.miniinthebox.com/mi...b509MCFcWOfgodKe4MFQ

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Eh, I put down a brown paper bag (yes they still exist, but finding one with no printing is hard) and three to four layers of paper towels, bacon on top, cover with another paper towel. Cook one minute per slice, usually a bit more, say six for five slices. Let sit one minute remove and set it on another paper towel while I reset for the next batch. I can get two or three sets per paper bag depending how thick or lean the bacon is. In a pinch I have skipped the bag and increased the paper towels layers, but only if I intend to clean up the microwave anyway afterwards.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just boil it instead? Wink

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
Eh, I put down a brown paper bag (yes they still exist, but finding one with no printing is hard) and three to four layers of paper towels, bacon on top, cover with another paper towel. Cook one minute per slice, usually a bit more, say six for five slices. Let sit one minute remove and set it on another paper towel while I reset for the next batch. I can get two or three sets per paper bag depending how thick or lean the bacon is. In a pinch I have skipped the bag and increased the paper towels layers, but only if I intend to clean up the microwave anyway afterwards.

My wife does the same thing except we don't us a bag at all.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
I have used this one for years, and it makes some pretty crispy bacon and clean up is easy since all of the grease stays in the bottom of the tray.

http://www.miniinthebox.com/mi...b509MCFcWOfgodKe4MFQ

I have a microwave bacon cooker similar to this one, named "Makin' Bacon". Didn't like the results. The bacon never got as crisp as I like, and it made a strong smell in the microwave that lasted for days.

Now I cook my bacon in my Breville Smart Grill. It comes out flakey crispy, and utterly flat. Important for me, since I mainly eat bacon in sandwiches.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My wife uses a bacon tray exclusively. I think it works great. Ours is similar to this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Litton...g%3ALxMAAOSwax5YxI7N

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have been microwaving bacon for a few years now. We put a double thickness of paper towels on a microwave safe dinner plate, then place slices of thick cut bacon on the paper towels. Use another double thickness of paper towels on top, then into the microwave. Microwave on high for 1:30 minute to 2:30 minute. Flip bacon and towels over, and repeat for the same time. Bacon comes out , let it sit. Most of the bacon grease is in the paper towels which is discarded. We do cut the bacon pieces in half which seems to help, fits the plate and paper towels easier. No special cooker needed, popping grease is contained by the paper towels. We do have two special cookers for eggs. I can simulate hard or soft fried, or make a small fritata muffin in each. With a slice or two of toast, we make a breakfast for two, a breakfast sandwich, and much less mess!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It can turn out great as long as you don't mind the microwave smelling like it for a month! I have a plastic slotted thing with skewers.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I pretty much do the same thing...no grease splatter from the pan Eek

Plus, you don't have to hover over the pan, constantly flipping and moving the slices.

quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
We have been microwaving bacon for a few years now. We put a double thickness of paper towels on a microwave safe dinner plate, then place slices of thick cut bacon on the paper towels. Use another double thickness of paper towels on top, then into the microwave. Microwave on high for 1:30 minute to 2:30 minute. Flip bacon and towels over, and repeat for the same time. Bacon comes out , let it sit. Most of the bacon grease is in the paper towels which is discarded. We do cut the bacon pieces in half which seems to help, fits the plate and paper towels easier. No special cooker needed, popping grease is contained by the paper towels. We do have two special cookers for eggs. I can simulate hard or soft fried, or make a small fritata muffin in each. With a slice or two of toast, we make a breakfast for two, a breakfast sandwich, and much less mess!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mentioned coffee cup / ceramic. We cook bacon on a stoneware plate covered with paper towels. Has always worked just fine. Be warned, though, that the plate come out hot enough to burn off fingerprints!

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I just use paper towels when I cook it in the microwave.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
So easy to bake bacon that I'd never mess with a microwave. Line a shallow edged cookie sheet with foil and arrange your thick sliced bacon. Turn oven to 400 and put pan in for 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels. I save my greasy paper towels and use them to light my charcoal chimney. A couple will do the trick and you don't have newspaper ash to deal with.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
So easy to bake bacon that I'd never mess with a microwave. Line a shallow edged cookie sheet with foil and arrange your thick sliced bacon. Turn oven to 400 and put pan in for 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels. I save my greasy paper towels and use them to light my charcoal chimney. A couple will do the trick and you don't have newspaper ash to deal with.

This^^ Except I use Pyrex.

Microwaves only have four purposes in my mind:

1) Melt butter
2) Heat leftover rice or pasta
3) Microwave popcorn
4) Cook broccoli (still way better steamed)

Other than that I don't use the abomination, food is meant to be cooked, not nuked. Gross. I usually reheat all left overs in oven, grill, or pots/pans minus rice or pasta. Those things ruin food and turn it into chewy mush.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I get up Saturday mornings, turn on the oven, perform a few minutes of chores, put some bacon on foil, place foil on cookie sheet that was preheated with oven, place cookie sheet in oven, make coffee, and fry eggs. Coffee, eggs, and bacon are all ready approx the same time.
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Microwaves only have four purposes in my mind:

1) Melt butter
2) Heat leftover rice or pasta
3) Microwave popcorn
4) Cook broccoli (still way better steamed

Use this recipe for stovetop popcorn and you'll never buy that crummy microwave popcorn again. I've recently made it even easier (no measuring) by buying these delicious all-in-one pouches from Amazon.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
In the oven just like doublesharp described. I do 385 degrees, 20 minutes. Sometimes I flip them towards the very end. I do not preheat the oven. Place the pan with the bacon on it and THEN turn the oven on, set timer.

before:

after:

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
Hormel Black Label Microwave Ready bacon. Available at WalMart.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:

Add a cookie rack to the pan to let the grease drain away and you will have reAlly crispy flat bacon and still have the nectar to cook with

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:

Add a cookie rack to the pan to let the grease drain away and you will have reAlly crispy flat bacon and still have the nectar to cook with
I used to use a cookie rack, but it was a 1/4" mesh which made it a PITA to clean. I switched to a preheated cookie sheet, and the bacon is just as crisp.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post