SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well this is a form of Identity Theft I did not expect
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well this is a form of Identity Theft I did not expect Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
My wife's HR department told her someone was trying to file for unemployment under her name. This has happened to about 20 employees over the past year or so. A group in Florida was busted somewhat recently but it is happening again.

She had to contact the state and also has to file a police report at our local department.

I signed myself up for credit monitoring and will do the same for her, however, that will not help with this type of theft. I am aware of a client having a similar issue with someone filing a tax return under his name.

For some reason these types of identity thefts have happened to a lot of hospital employees.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is crazy. It is amazing at how many different schemes scammers will use. I hope it works out for her.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I signed myself up for credit monitoring and will do the same for her, however, that will not help with this type of theft. I am aware of a client having a similar issue with someone filing a tax return under his name.

For that kind of thing you need identity theft protection, such as offered by LifeLock or IdentityForce.

After having researched it I have come to the conclusion that it's better to have identity theft protection and freeze your reports at the major credit reporting agencies and ChexSystems, rather than have credit monitoring.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post