SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia International Raceway - Pics & Vids From My Event
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia International Raceway - Pics & Vids From My Event Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
This was my second time and VIR and I really learned how much I don't know about driving fast on a track. Braking confidently was my biggest issue because I always feared I would fade and go off. A lot to work on but I was putting a hurting on a lot of BMW M cars Big Grin.

The VR-4 fares pretty well for a 22 year old GT car.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That was awesome! That one guy parked it in every corner, didn't he? How long do tires last, 10 minutes?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Awesome! That's one of the best tracks in the country, hands down. What tires are you running?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That looks like so much fun!!! I love the 3000GT VR4. My brother has a pearl white 3000GT SL with a 5-speed manual, it's such a sweet car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I've always loved the 3000GT! Very nice. Big Grin

I'm still learning VIR on Forza 6 haha... What you've gotten to do is nothing but a far fetched dream for me. Enjoy it. Smile

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
The place looks wrong with the oak tree gone.

3000gt are fun cars.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot guys! I'm running new Potenza Pole Position S-04's. It definitely worn them down a bit but I expect at least 5 track days out of them. They rank under Pilot Super Sports and are street tires. I'm trying to learn how to drive before going with stickier rubber.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you were "smooth" on the track... Much more important than horse power. That was a good piece of driving my friend,

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Well done for your second time. You tagged most of the corner marker rumble strips while maintaining smooth. The better you get, the worse your stock brakes will feel/perform. For starters, I would change to DOT 4 brake fluid and steel braided brake lines.
This is a slippery slope. As you progress eventually you'll realize that the stock brakes don't cut it at all. LOL
Nice Job.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Upgrades get addictive ... Cool

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks like a lot of fun, nice driving!

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
DSM, FTW.

I had a '91 Talon, no turbo, FWD- but I set it up to handle. Always enjoyed blowing away the big-turbo, AWD Mitsus and Subies through the corners. Had matched-rate set of springs, KYB adjustable struts and shocks, big tight struts bars, and Dunlop Sport 225/50ZR16 in front and 255/50ZR16 in rear (they fit with substantial unibody vs tire-sledgehammer body bubbaing). I could take decreasing radius off-ramps at 75+, top end of 3rd, and into 4th and off like a rocketship after the apex. Took one turn so hard I snapped my windshield (backed the strut bar off after that).

Ah, the days of being really young, working a cash job, and feeling invincible.

Nice piece of driving, I have had some wheel time with a 3kGTVR4 and they can be a handful of understeer! Good job keeping the rubber on the road Big Grin

Enjoy your brake upgrade LOL. It is a slippery slope.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The upgrades are definitely addictive. I have been building the car with supporting mods since I bought it 7 years ago to prepare for a turbo upgrade. This is what I've done so far. The stock brakes actually did pretty well this time with track pads, shims, and extra cooling from the deflectors.

Track Prep:
RBF600 flush before every track event
New rotors
Carbotech XP10's front and Hawk HP+ rear
0.5mm titanium shims front
GTO MR Brake Ducts
New ball joints

Mods:
Turbo back exhaust (no cats) [precat eliminators, DNP downpipe, 3SX test pipe, M2 catback]
Halman RX Pro boost controller set at 14psi
1 stage colder plugs and new wires
3SX Single Pass Radiator
DSM side mounts
Power antenna delete
Wiper fluid bottle delete
Enkei RPF-1's (40lb loss over stock wheels)
Tein S-Tech springs with 3SX rear control arms
Poly motor mounts
3SX fuel loop
Evo MR BOV (recirc)
3SX Preturbo pipes
3SX Stinger fiberglass hood (not installed yet) 15lb loss
3SX lightweight stock size pulley (5lb loss)
BigTyla ground kit

Mods before next event:
Stainless brake lines
ADDCO front way bar
Full poly bushings kit
EGR and Vac delete

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!

I have been autocrossing a bit the past couple months in my new Camaro. Track days increase maintanance costs substantially so I keep the big gal dodging cones...but someday I wanna buy something light and bonkers for track and time attack events...

Real life Gran Turismo!!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
That certainly looks like fun!

... but it's a lot of wrenching for a few hours of driving, huh?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post