SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Family death and thoughts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Family death and thoughts Login/Join 
posted
We've all been through it probably.
Last Sunday my sister in law died. It was a very sudden and brutal weekend. I'm left feeling angry and sad.
My SIL went up to University Hospital in Cleveland on Friday of last week. The medicine she was on for her heart made her gain some water weight and she wasn't feeling good.
She had been dealing with some heart problems for about 3 months now. Supposedly it was being dealt with by medication. There was talk of a pacemaker but never happened. From what I gathered from my brother, the doctors said it wasn't really necessary.
By Saturday night, she was in a coma. I had just walked into a place to watch the Penn State vs Iowa game when my youngest brother texted me that he needed to call me. I stepped outside to take the call and was told that I needed to get up to the hospital quickly. I also needed to pick up my 2 neices and my nephew to bring them up to the hospital.
About an hour drive from where I live to Cleveland so I hustled and got the kids.
On the drive up, I called my daughter who lives in Akron and told her to come up to the hospital also.
Arrived at the hospital and greeted my family and then went with my daughter to go to the room where she was. She was on a ventilator with wires and tubes everywhere. I pretty much lost it.
The doctor had talked to my brothers while I was driving and they were going to give her some medicine directly in her IV that could possibly help. Basically, if she didn't get the medicine, there was a 100% chance she would die. They put 40% that the medicine would work.
Hour by hour was the way the doctors were handling this and by midnight Saturday, she was still hanging on. Slight improvement but not much.
I ended up going home, along with some other family.
No phone call or text overnight.
9:30 Sunday morning the phone rang. As soon as I saw it was my youngest brother, I knew.
Flew up to Cleveland in the car with my daughter and at 12:30pm, they took her off life support. Brain function was all but gone and the machines were keeping her alive.
My brother was married to her for 27 years. Now an empty bed. My neices are 18 and 16 years old, my nephew 15.
Arrangements have already been made and both me and my 2 brothers have handled everything from the casket to the church services.
I'm sad for my brother and his kids. I'm sad for my SIL's parents. Sad all around.
Also angry that this has happened and that my neices and nephew no longer have a mother.
She was active in their lives from swim team to band at the high school they attended. She also was special to my daughter. My SIL would take all the kids to Cedar Point every Summer. Didn't happen this Summer as she had the heart problems for about 3 months.
I'm the intimidating brother. I'm the mean one. I'm the tough one. I'm the oldest brother of 3. Now I feel helpless.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your family's loss. Peace to you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, prayers up. Hang in there.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I know that helpless feeling. Condolences to all.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for you, and your families.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Been thru this myself, very sorry for your loss.

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I went through this, earlier this year.
If you pray, it can be of enormous help and relief.
If not, then know that others are praying for you.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Condolences to you & your family. I'm certain that your SIL knew she was well loved and will rest in peace.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My condolences to your family.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
so very sorry...

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Joatmonv, all you can do is comfort those you love.
Prayers for you and your family.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry for your loss. You're family will be in my prayers.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
peace be with you and your family. prayers sent.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I hope you, the family, and others impacted find peace. I am sorry for your loss.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Really sorry for your loss, especially the shock of everything happening in such a short span of time. Prayers sent.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My condolences to all of you.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this.

Q

Posts: 26373 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for all affected....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My condolences. Hang in there..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences. Best wishes for your family and you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post