SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jerry Van Dyke, comedian and actor, dead at age 86
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jerry Van Dyke, comedian and actor, dead at age 86 Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Jerry Van Dyke, comedian, actor and younger brother of Dick Van Dyke, died Friday afternoon at his Arkansas home at the age of 86.

Van Dyke’s wife, Shirley, confirmed her husband’s death to TMZ. Shirley said her husband’s health began deteriorating after they were both involved in a car accident two years earlier.

TMZ reported Dick Van Dyke visited his brother at his home during the holidays.

Jerry Van Dyke was a well-known comedian who used perform at various military bases and appeared on television programs. The comedian made his debut on his brother’s hit show, “The Dick Van Dyke Show” and also appeared in “The Ed Sullivan Show” and “The Judy Garland Show.”

Van Dyke was also known for his role on “Coach” where he played Assistant Coach Luther Van Dam. The role garnered him four Emmy nominations. His latest television appearance was on ABC’s hit show “The Middle" in 2015.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace.

Just saw his episodes on Andy Griffith a few days ago.

Posts: 6365 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Testing my non-Google-assisted memory... wasn't he also in "My Mother the Car"?

I always liked him... great comic timing..

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:

Yes. Another notable role was in McLintock!, a 1963 John Wayne comedy/western.

Posts: 27960 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I thought he was great in 'Coach'. He made me laugh in every episode.

Does anyone know if 'Coach' is on Netflix or Amazon Prime? I'd like to watch some of those again.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP. I most remember him from Coach.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
RIP

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, RIP

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I loved him in Coach, too. Always made me laugh.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP

One of my favorite shows to this day is Coach.
Luther Van Dam was an awesome character.

That character spoke to me, especially the part of him liking to eat and pie.

I have Netflix and Hulu and it is not on either of them YET...

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He played a pretty mean banjo back in the day. I believe he played it in at least one episode of the Andy Griffith Show.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Frown

RIP

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:

Yep. He turned down the role of Gilligan to do MMTC.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
He played a pretty mean banjo back in the day. I believe he played it in at least one episode of the Andy Griffith Show.

I think he also played it when he appeared on the Dick Van Dyke show

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I knew him as the coach. RIP.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
RIP

One of my favorite shows to this day is Coach.
Luther Van Dam was an awesome character.

That character spoke to me, especially the part of him liking to eat and pie.

I have Netflix and Hulu and it is not on either of them YET...

Coach was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I always enjoyed his character.
Coach is available on Amazon video for $1.99 an episode
The entire DVD series is available at Amazon for $30. Well worth it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I remember him from McClintock! and Coach, but I also remember him playing banjo on the Dick Van Dyke show.

RIP, sir.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
RIP Jerry, the great actors are dwindling.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked him on coach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...B3THjTj5vvYswGOZTKoM

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post