SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With Gas Prices Now??
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Is Going On With Gas Prices Now?? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My already way-too-expensive gallon of gas jumped from $2.35-2.40 here in PA to $2.60 in less than 48 hours.

What's the latest excuse?
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Story just published today!

AAA: Gas prices are on the rise for spring

All signs point to higher gas prices, according to information released by AAA, The Auto Club Group.

Gasoline demand is surging while inventories are beginning to slip. Meanwhile, refineries are getting rid of excess winter blend gasoline as they continue to push summer blend fuel into the market, which is more expensive to produce. Today the national average for a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline is $2.32, an increase of 3 cents from last week, up a few fractions of a cent from one month ago, and 26 cents more than this time last year.

"Motorists should expect more volatility at the pump in the coming months," said AAA spokesman Josh Carrasco in this week's fuel price report. "Declining gasoline inventories, like we saw last week, normally trigger a rise in gas prices. But increased domestic oil production could put a ceiling on historic springtime increases at the pump."

Wholesale gas prices rose 7 cents last week as demand rose and gasoline supplies fell. The dip in supplies is normal for this time of year, as refineries try to sell off their remaining winter blend gasoline. Refineries have until May 1 to complete the switch to summer blend gasoline. AAA projects the national average for a gallon of gasoline will increase 40 cents this summer, peaking near $2.70, which is 70 cents higher than it was last summer. Whether gas prices reach that peak will depend on the direction of oil prices, which hit their highest price point since March 7th on Friday.

Georgia gas prices averaged $2.20 on Sunday - 4 cents more than a week ago, 2 cents less than one month ago, and 16 cents more than a year ago.

The most expensive metro markets in the state are Atlanta ($2.226), Savannah ($2.218), and Valdosta ($2.196)

The least expensive metro markets in the state are Augusta-Aiken ($2.131), Macon ($2.133), and Columbus ($2.136)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The magical summer gas mix cost more Wink

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
And what, pray tell, is the difference between the winter and summer blends?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
The magical summer gas mix cost more Wink

Wait til fall.....then the magical winter blend will cost more.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

About 1 MPG for each of my vehicles. I average 16.5 in the jeep with summer blend, 15.5 with winter. The Suzuki does 25/24. Like clockwork my MPG goes up in April and down in November. I have been measuring every tank for a couple of years and tracking it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

Wait til fall.....then the magical winter blend will cost more.

Mike

Especially if a refinery just happens to be undergoing PLANNED maintenance.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I have been measuring every tank for a couple of years and tracking it.

Just a touch of OCD. Nothing to worry about. Razz

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Supply vs demand.

At least you aren't one of those people who dries around for an hour looking for cheaper gas....

"Oh look, I saved 20 cents a gallon!"

"Yeah, but you drove 20 miles and spent an hour, burning a gallon of gas...".

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
When I passed Chevron yesterday, it was $2.55 and climbing Frown Here in my area of Oregon, regular really never dropped in the past year.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

I can tell when they switch. The winter blend has noticeably less power and I get worse MPG to boot. I drive a big block 496 (8.1L) , and I can really feel the difference when they switch. I hate winter gas.

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I guess I can't complain, at least about gas, our's went from $1.97 to $2.04.

OTOH, bacon prices have gone through the roof. Picked up some regular ol' bacon yesterday for almost $5.00 a pound Frown

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
About time for a refinery fire, that always takes one out of the loop to raise prices as well.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
About time for a refinery fire, that always takes one out of the loop to raise prices as well.

Expect the refinery fire about a week before Memorial Day weekend.

Or, an uprising somewhere in the Middle East. Those are rare, thankfully. Smile

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
$3.10 in the SF Bay area....

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
from AAA What is the Difference between Summer- and Winter-Blend Gasoline?

Every spring gas prices seem to skyrocket to the highest prices of the year. Why does this happen? In explanation, we hear the experts say that many of the refineries are “down for maintenance while transitioning from winter-blend to summer-blend gasoline,” but what does this mean?

The difference between summer- and winter-blend gasoline involves the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) of the fuel. RVP is a measure of how easily the fuel evaporates at a given temperature. The more volatile a gasoline (higher RVP), the easier it evaporates.

Winter-blend fuel has a higher RVP because the fuel must be able to evaporate at low temperatures for the engine to operate properly, especially when the engine is cold. If the RVP is too low on a frigid day, the vehicle will be hard to start and once started, will run rough.

Summer-blend gasoline has a lower RVP to prevent excessive evaporation when outside temperatures rise. Reducing the volatility of summer gas decreases emissions that can contribute to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. A lower RVP also helps prevent drivability problems such as vapor lock on hot days, especially in older vehicles.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer. However, the summer-blend is also more expensive to produce, and that cost is passed on to the motorist.

The switch between the two fuels happens twice a year, once in the fall (to winter-blend) and again in the spring (to summer-blend). The changeover requires significant work at refineries, so oil companies schedule their maintenance for those times when they will already be “down” for the blend switches.

As a consumer, the main thing to understand is that there are real reasons for the switch from winter- to summer-blend fuel, even if it results in some pain at the pump.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It is Spring Break here lots of folks traveling.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says...
Oops, you lost me right there. I believe nothing these liars publish.

quote:
...conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer.
And what would mileage be without that ethanol crap EPA mandates be added to fuel? Yeah. Roll Eyes

quote:
As a consumer, the main thing to understand is that there are real reasons for the switch from winter- to summer-blend fuel, even if it results in some pain at the pump.
Uh, no. Most cars on the street today have fairly sophisticated ECM's to adjust virtually ever aspect of the vehicle's ignition system. I'm sure the ECM could adequately adjust for temperature deviation without the need to reformulate the vehicle's fuel.

IMO this summer/winter blend crap is total BS (maybe it had some relevance 30 years ago when cars still had carburetors), Just smoke and mirrors created by EPA and the petroleum lobbyists.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
from AAA What is the Difference between Summer- and Winter-Blend Gasoline?

Every spring gas prices seem to skyrocket to the highest prices of the year. Why does this happen? In explanation, we hear the experts say that many of the refineries are “down for maintenance while transitioning from winter-blend to summer-blend gasoline,” but what does this mean?

The difference between summer- and winter-blend gasoline involves the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) of the fuel. RVP is a measure of how easily the fuel evaporates at a given temperature. The more volatile a gasoline (higher RVP), the easier it evaporates.

Winter-blend fuel has a higher RVP because the fuel must be able to evaporate at low temperatures for the engine to operate properly, especially when the engine is cold. If the RVP is too low on a frigid day, the vehicle will be hard to start and once started, will run rough.

Summer-blend gasoline has a lower RVP to prevent excessive evaporation when outside temperatures rise. Reducing the volatility of summer gas decreases emissions that can contribute to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. A lower RVP also helps prevent drivability problems such as vapor lock on hot days, especially in older vehicles.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer. However, the summer-blend is also more expensive to produce, and that cost is passed on to the motorist.

The switch between the two fuels happens twice a year, once in the fall (to winter-blend) and again in the spring (to summer-blend). The changeover requires significant work at refineries, so oil companies schedule their maintenance for those times when they will already be “down” for the blend switches.

Usually AAA has much better articles on this. They have neglected to say several things. By federal law,
  • The US is broken up into PADD regions.
  • Each PADD region has its own date that the gas station must meet the summer RVP. As you go up the supply chain, the date starts backing up because you have to convert the distribution terminal, you have to convert the pipeline tankage, you have to convert the refinery, etc.

On average, it takes 2 to 3 cycles of drawing the tank down as low as possible and filling it up before the tank tests meet summer RVP. That has to happen for every tank at distribution terminals, pipeline facilities, refineries, etc. The implication is that in the same consumer market there is now twice as many products with the same amount of tanks. Once the tank has been converted to summer RVP it is foolish to go back so there is a temporary supply and demand back imbalance. To add to that, most refineries sell to multiple PADD regions which means their supply imbalance is over a greater amount of time.

If you don't like it, bitch to your congressional critter. They make the laws that the oil and gas has to follow or we get fined.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
    Husband, Father, Aggie,
    all around good guy!
    Picture of HK Ag
    posted Hide Post
    $1.99 around NW Houston last time I filled up.

But as was mentioned the new blend will be coming. My understanding is that there is still a refining bottle neck. We need President Trump to issue a bunch of refining permits quickly so that we can free up refining capacity.

I will yield to someone in the oil and gas industry if my understanding is incorrect.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post