SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Miata thoughts? -- Valuation question (+ PICS!) Pg. 3
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miata thoughts? -- Valuation question (+ PICS!) Pg. 3 Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Made the mistake of driving a buddies Gen-1 Miata. Now I have the bug for a roadster. Kicking around picking up a used Miata or even a BMW Z3/Z4. Not terribly afraid of repairs on a mid-2000s BMW. Owned an 05 325i for years and it gave me no trouble and was easy to service. Not sure the BMW would feel as sporty though. Certainly more power with an i6 plant. It's just on the mind right now as I seek diversion from work stress. Wondered if anyone here has experience or advice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I believe Dusty78 has a BMW Z - not sure which one. He might be able to help you out.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been researching the same market. 16 and newer Miatas went on a 200 lb diet so they're 1000 lbs lighter than a z4. Z4 in 4-cylinder is 85 more hp.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I was looking at roadsters when I bought my 325ci convertible coupe.

The others were just too small for me and I am nowhere near a large person.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend has a Z4 and my sister has an S2000, I barely fit in either one and I am an athletic 6'1" 200.

I bought a 2006 M3 instead.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
S2000 is the best of both. More power and nicer all the way around than the Miata and more reliable than the BMW. If you do go BMW, get a Z4. The Z3 was a turd.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2006 Z4 M Coupe. The car drove great and was no slouch with the 333hp inline 6. However the Z4 M cars are not as common and harder to find. It was a little cozy for me too - I am 6'2' 210 lbs.

My wife owned an S2000 for 9 years and loved it, however it just didn't have any torque. Yeah if you kept it in V-tec(over 5500 rpm) it did ok but it just wasn't for me. Really cozy as well.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just sold my wife's 2007 z4m 2 months ago.
The car was fantastic, the only thing to break in 10 years was one of the cup holders and BMW fixed for free. That car flat out moved, no comparison between it and the Miata or the 2000. Those are just toys compared to the beamer. If you get one just make sure to get rid of the run flats if it has them, they suck. She got rid of it to move up to a Porsche.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I had an 06 Miata. I really miss it. My only complaint was that it was loud for a DD.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I had a 2003 low miles Z4 that was great no issues. I traded up for a 2012 recently that also has been great. First question is how much are you looking to spend? Issues with the first and second generation Z4's is the top motor can get flooded and stop working. The motor can be bypassed and the top can be opened and closed manually. If you clear out the drain holes for the top once a year that becomes a non issue. As for the Z3 they are a little too small for me but her is one locally here I was thinking of getting but likely won't. The Z cars are easy to work on and he engines are bullet proof.

You can find some great deals on the Z's. I have seen some Z4's with less than 40k miles in the $9k range.

Check out cargurus and do a local search. Use the advanced search option. I will say that summer time is the wrong time to buy as most dealers inflate prices. I got my 2003 with 29k miles for $11k in February. I've seen similar cars sell for $13-15k during the summer months.

The old

And the new

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Miata Is Always The Answer

Have driven a few Z3s in the past & was disappointed in the performance in comparison to a Miata, apart from an M Roadster.

I'm patiently waiting for the day I can get a Miata in the garage. Would love an ND Club, but am thinking it'll be a late model NA or late NB.
Never was a fan of the NC.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those are just toys compared to the beamer.

Sorry the BMW-Nazi in me (since 1978 and still own the car) > it's BIMMER. Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Yep...that's what got me started.

I started with a 1999 Miata base. Loved it but made the mistake of looking at a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata. Loved it. The factory turbo really made this a fast car.

Next I made the mistake of driving my buddy's 2006 S2000 that was coming off lease. I bought it in 2009 for the residual with 5,000 miles on it.

I still drive it in the summer and hope to never part with it. I have 40,000 trouble free miles on it and just marvel at the way it drives.

Oh, by the way, the reason my buddy leased the S2000 is because he made the mistake of driving my Mazdaspeed Miata in 2006. I pointed him towards a new S2000 in New Formula Red instead.
(Red is the fastest color, you know.)

The reason the car had only 5,000 miles on it was due to him getting married and having a child during his 3 year lease. Kid Safety seats don't fit too well in a roadster.

Sure there are better, faster, quieter, cooler cars out there, but I'm a happy happy guy in my S2000.

Be really, really Careful what you drive.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Following this thread! Deep down I have a desire for this style car. Keep the opinions coming!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Triumph TR-6, an Austin Healey 3000, two MGBs, a BMW Z-4, and two Corvette convertibles. I do not fit in a Miata and they are underpowered for me. My current fun car is a 2011 Corvette convertible. Corvette hands down. BMW M roadster or Z-4 second.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I test drove the new Miata RF and really really liked it.

BMW and Toyota are coming out with the new Z4/Supra soon. I'll wait to look at those.

In the end, I might end up with a BMW 430 or 440 hardtop convertible since I think I still need a backseat. Even for a fun car.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Like Marzy said, those are small cars. I almost literally can't get in a Miata, but I am a large person.

Be sure you can be happy in a very small car.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure on too big for a small car, but I'm 6'0" ~160lbs & have never had any issue driving any car, aside from hitting my knee on the roof of a Lotus Elise when getting in.

I'm comfortable in any generation Miata, S2k, Z3/4, Triumph Spitfire, Datsun 1600.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
http://www.motortrend.com/news...he-downshift-240445/

You can thank me later Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
http://www.motortrend.com/news...he-downshift-240445/

You can thank me later Smile

Bruce

There's also a group working on adapting the GM LFX V6 for swap into the NA/B cars as well.