SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Miata thoughts? -- Valuation question (+ PICS!) Pg. 3
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miata thoughts? -- Valuation question (+ PICS!) Pg. 3 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
http://www.motortrend.com/news...he-downshift-240445/

You can thank me later Smile

Bruce
Flyin' Miata has been doing V8 retrofits for years in Miatas. The problem is you need to own a Miata then give them $50k Eek

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Z4 M is on my short list of desired project cars

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'll put a shameless plug in for a Porsche Boxster.
One of the best handling cars ever made with enough HP for any legal road you want to drive on.
The Boxster S has more HP, bigger brakes, tires etc...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2001 LS Miata (6 spd.) that was an absolute joy to drive!

Sold it only because of family needs / lifestyle.

IMHO, the Miata, at least then, was THE perfect balance in terms of the car's front-to-rear weight ratio, power, drivability, cost of ownership (purch price, insurance, sticky tires, maintenance, etc.)

I usually drove that car like I stole it. Easy to shift up to redline in early gears without having to worry too much about drawing too much attention.

Snickety, snick snick snick, up thru the gearbox - so much fun!!

I raced in a bunch of auto-x's with it, stock class, and learned a lot, had a ton of fun and made new friends!

DIY mods are also relatively easy to do and affordable (intake, headers, exhaust, trim jewelry, etc.) if you are into that.

As some will say, "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."

If you go with Miata, Miata.net is the go-to forum. I also belonged to lvmoc.net (lehigh valley miata owner's club) for many years.

A Miata may not carry the big badge panache factor as some of the other brands mentioned here, but it is a damn fun car, and very capable car to drive!

Good luck with your decision!

Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cookster,

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Drove the new Miata, last year. LOVED the car, but simply too small for me at 6'-3". Plus so little storage space I couldn't get by with using it when I shoot trap or especially LR rifle. NO room for all the junk.

Between the BMW and Miata.....go MIATA. Lighter weight, more of a traditional roadster than the overweight Bimmer.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I owned and raced two Miatas. I currently have a STi and go through waves of wanting a Miata on a regular basis. Miatas are affordable in every way. I do like the BMW Z3 and would buy one. If you are going to hammer on it I would go with the Miata if you are worried about costs if not go with the BMW.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Get an older Miata and drop a 289 in it. Have more fun all day long than a barrel of monkeys.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How tall are you? I'm 6'3" with long (36" inseam) legs.

A friend offered me a ride in his Miata. I could not fold my legs enough to sit in the passenger seat.

I also had the same problem when I was thinking about a new XKE back in the early 1960s. I wound up with a Porsche 356B, which had more than ample leg room for the driver.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've had numerous sportscars over the years starting with a '58 Triumph TR3A with it's 121.5 cu in engine bored out to 150 and the SU carbs replaced with Weber sidedrafts among other tweaks.

To the point of this thread I had and thoroughly enjoyed a '96 Miata and currently own a '03 S2000 I bought new. As an aside I "auditioned" all the then available convertible two seat sportscars and for me the Honda won with the Boxster coming in second. It is a true enthusiasts car with its rear wheel drive, 50-50 weigh distribution, and oversteer handling... not for the careless or novices. Mike (mcrimm) is spot on about the joy the S2000 provides. Only error he makes is about stating red is fastest. Not true. Sebring Silver with all red leather interior trounces all comers! LOL

Both the Miata and Honda were/are utterly reliable. The S2000 was a significant step up from the earlier Miata. The new model Miatas are attractive and worthy of a good "look see" and appear to still be the best bang for buck in the sportscar category.

Those who decry lack of torque and 0-60 speed miss the whole point of these two seaters. It's the joy of their handling in twisties with the top down that makes them special! Smile That said my S2000 is not only faster in the curves than "normal" cars but was straight line quicker than my '73 Dodge Challenger!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st Generation Miata's are inexpensive, inexpensive to maintain, and easy to maintain. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3056 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
currently own a '03 S2000 I bought new.

And, being an AP1, you get that 9k redline Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
currently own a '03 S2000 I bought new.

And, being an AP1, you get that 9k redline Eek

Damn straight! hahahaha

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Take a drive in the Subaru BRZ. It's worth a look.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Miata = always working
Z4 = usually broken

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Take a drive in the Subaru BRZ. It's worth a look.

Bruce

The BRZ is a fun little car, but, not a convertible.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Youngest son has had two Z4's. They have been solid.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
Miata = always working
Z4 = usually broken

They are actually considered some of the most reliable bimmers out there so not sure where you are seeing that.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We own a 2008 MX5; and we have a friend with a 2009 Z4. We can tell you that the Mazda is far cheaper to keep and operate. The Z4 is more powerful and has a higher "cool factor." Our MX5 has 146K and has been absolutely bullet proof.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm working on a contact that knows of a 91 Miata with 31k miles that may be available. It's a few states away, but maybe worth the flight. The guys is said to be meticulous, so it sounds cherrie.

NO IDEA how I could/should value such a unicorn. -- Pointers there?

At least, I've no idea on one with a manual transmission. If it had an automatic, I'd have no problem valuing it.... $0.00 Wink .

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Honda S2000. I have had 2 of them. I used to run track days with the Porsche and BMW clubs (They would rent out racetracks and if they didn't fill up they'd invite other clubs to come in and help defray costs.) Usually by the end of the day it was just a couple of S2000's and Miatas going lap after lap, all the Porsches and BMW's parked/towed in the pit vomiting forth various fluids. I have also owned 2 variations of the 911. I doubt I'll ever buy another Porsche.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post