SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP hose question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP hose question. Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
I have been using the CPAP for since October. Every 90 days my insurance provides a new mask and hose. Early on the CPAP machine burnt out and I was given a new unit which they gave me a new house and mask.
None of the hoses has made it to the end of the 90 days before I receive a new one. This past Tuesday, I put on the new hose and mask, (3rd time), and again the hose was broken at the connection where it couples. This hose lasted 5 days before it cracked at the end at the rubber connection that attaches to the machine or mask. I toss and turn all night so I can see that I put some extra stress on the connections, but 5 days is a little quick to break. I'm going to put a piece of duct tape at the connection, but it will probably break at the end of the duct tape,
Anyone have this problem, or is it just the way I turn all night? It has so far broke at the machine twice and last night at the end near the mask.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
I toss and turn quite a bit at night. I am still on my original hose I got a year ago. I’ve ripped the machine right off of the table I keep it on without issue. My insurance was sending me new supplies every 3 months till they stopped paying for the items. I replace the mask only now and just clean the rest.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
the only problem I've had with the hose in the last 10 years was one of our cats chewing on it and creating a bunch of tiny holes. That was solved with a hose cover.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've had a CPAP for 12 years and I've never had that happen. Like ugeesta, cats have been the only detriment to hoses.

What is the model of CPAP Machine? I'm due for my 3rd unit and it sounds like one to avoid.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
In early 90s I was on the CPAP nose-hose Patrol. It saved my life.

The original hose lasted the entire 10 years I used the machine. The various masks were replace regularly, as sometimes what was working at first came to fail in various ways within a few weeks or months.

The original machine worked well for that time period as well. When finally deemed 'no longer necessary' I retired all my CPAP gear; after a few years of ready-standby I donated it back to the CPAP program that was needing used units.

It took a while to readjust to the absence of the pleasant little 'white noise' wwhhhoooosh all night long. I'm told new models are pretty silent.

As relatively a then-new therapy expanding dramatically, I suspect the earlier parts were more robust than recent often-replaced non durable components. Certainly some of the mask designs were abysmal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: signewt,

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have the ResMed Air Sense 10. The hose is a coil type and it splits open in between the coils at the rubber end connection. I just duct taped it and it works fine. I have a spare hose, but don't want to install it yet until I find out why they are breaking so easy.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Strange. I have the same machine and it first came with the small hose which was chewed up. Then went back to the regular sized hose.

Maybe your supplier found an old box of hoses and has been sending them to you. I would check with t=your supplier to see if other people are having the same issue.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a hose that went bad that soon. My last hose lasted a year at least.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have been using a CPAP nachine since 2011. Never have had a problem with a hose. Before my wife died she never had a problem either.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have to turn on a bright light and where the hose meets the rubber adapter at the end, flex the hose from side to side and you can see where the hose is broken. without my glasses and a good light, I would not see the cut in the hose between the ribs. I call CS, but it being the weekend they only have emergency service on duty.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
Low bid equipment from provider? If your cpap machine uses a generic hose try another brand.

Hoses & Tubing

another site - Hoses $ Tubing

Amazon list Hoses too.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Airsense 10 here and no issues with the hose or on any previous machines over the last 10 years.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Every 90 days I receive at no cost a new mask, head band, hose and filter. I just ordered a hose from Amazon in case this one fails.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:
Low bid equipment from provider? If your cpap machine uses a generic hose try another brand.

Hoses & Tubing

another site - Hoses $ Tubing

Amazon list Hoses too.

I check out the sites. Very good pricing and free shipping. I'm going to bookmark them for the next time this happens.
Thanks,
Rich

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
I’ve had a run of bad hoses the last 6-9 months, through the years like other consumer items, have gotten lighter, thinner, etc. That leads to more premature failures. I’m continuing to use the last patched hose, plenty of electrician’s tape. I plan on having two replacement hoses at all times going forward.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I am running an AirSense 10 and never had a hose issue, usually use mine for a year before replacing. I use the heated hose though.

Real curious what the problem is, sorry I can’t help

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been here in Philippines for the last 3 weeks on a family vacation. Temps in mid 90’s and high humidity. Been mostly in the provinces dragging the CPAP whereever I go. First trip to for work in year 2000. I pack extra mask, heated and non heated hoses and critical parts including duct tape so I can make repairs as needed. Never had the hose issues you’ve had. I also pack a IFAK with emergency meds. This trip had to pop into my CIPRO to treat myself.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have to say in the 10 years I’ve been using a cpap I’ve never broken a hose.

If you’re tossing and turning that much I have to wonder if the therapy is working that well for you. This is something you should mention to your doctor. You might need a higher air pressure setting (not moisture setting).

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
If you have an Airsense CPAP with non-heated tubing, make sure you are using the plastic 90 degree elbow that is supplied with factory tubing. The aftermarket/generic tubing are not supplied with it.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
I have to say in the 10 years I’ve been using a cpap I’ve never broken a hose.

If you’re tossing and turning that much I have to wonder if the therapy is working that well for you. This is something you should mention to your doctor. You might need a higher air pressure setting (not moisture setting).

Kinda my thoughts too. I've never broken a hose or had one tear ('cept for the animals maybe mistaking one for a plaything). I have a Respironics, but mine are pretty tough hoses. YMMV, unfamiliar with your brand.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post