SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Am I going to have problems doing this w/ Windows?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I going to have problems doing this w/ Windows? Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted
My little nephew's laptop is full of malware as he clicks on most everythig w/ no concern. It's a Win8 w/ that upgrade to Win10. He can't do much, not even connect to the internet.

My new build has a Win10 USB stick.
I'd like to wipe his drive and install w/ my Win10 stick but enter his Win keycode.

Am I going to run into a problem doing that? I think I have Malwarebytes on his comp. but the little bugger doesn't keep anything up to date, so if I can't get online, I can't update it. And frankly, I'd like to start fresh.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to wipe his drive and install w/ my Win10 stick but enter his Win keycode.

Yes, you can do that.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
As long as your winstick is the same version as his it won't be a problem. If yours is 10 Pro and his 10 Home, his key won't work.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks.

I guess he won't have a product key. found this:

"You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1."
=Digital license

I'm not sure how that works.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cool, thanks Tavman. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I use this free utility to grab the keys. Even easier than the windows method.
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post