SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Subaru for a tall man
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Subaru for a tall man Login/Join 
posted
My son recently had his Toyota Avalon die a slow and miserable death. It was a wonderful car, but he has read glowing reports about Subaru products in Consumer Reports. My question for you current or past owners is - which of the various models would best be suited for a 6'4" 270# male? He lives in Nebraska and drives 100 miles round trip daily for work - thru the snows of winter and the heat of summer

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Detailed Subaru specs, photos & dimensions here:
Cars101.com

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outback (Legacy) or Forester would have the most headroom.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Ascent.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'5" and drove a WRX for a number of years. I was probably 240ish at the time.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Forester has .6 inch more head room in the 2018 models.
others are about the the same or larger in the Outback

https://www.truedelta.com/Suba...s-comparison,251-253

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Legacy, Forester, or Outback without a sunroof is the way to go. Sunroof steals ~1.5 - 2" of headroom.

I'm 6'8", and had no problems in a 2005 Legacy GT wagon, or the 2011 Legacy sedan that followed it.

My Hyundai Genesis is even better - more leg room and head room, and still AWD.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Sorry, misread that as ma'am....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Outback has a lot of room. The newer Crosstreks (2018 and up) have much more room than the earlier ones. I may end up trading in the Outback and getting a Crosstrek before I retire.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
My brother who is 6'5" bought an Outback about a year ago. He's been happy with it. He went with the 4 cylinders for price and MPG.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
just saw something on youtube about the best / worst cars for tall people......

https://youtu.be/xpYXjkIgYhA

Also, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

This message has been edited. Last edited by: x0225095,

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’m six foot and 270, my wife’s 2018 forester has plenty of room and the seating position is upright, similar to a truck. We got the XT version and I’m pleased with the turbo 4.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Why not go to a dealership and sit in various models? Could sample new and late model used and go from there.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'5" and my wife made up her mind to get a Legacy several years ago. Went to sign the papers and fortunately sat down in it first. No go on the headroom and legroom for me. Ended up with a different brand.

I have no idea how anyone 6'5" or more could fit in one of those!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m 6’1” and have a 19’Outback and a 14’ Forester. The Outback has more room

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Outback is a bigger vehicle than the Forester.

An all-new Outback is going to be announced later this year and will be based on the new Subaru Global Platform which will be both bigger and stiffer than the current body, and will be offered with the new Turbo Four-Cylinder that is currently available in the Ascent.

If I had to pick a vehicle today, it would be the Ascent which has both the Global Platform and Turbo Four. Otherwise, I would wait until for the new 2020 Outback.

If the Ascent is out of the budget, I would pick the Forester which is currently using the new Subaru Global Platform, but with a more basic engine.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Im 6’1” and have a Crosstrek. The cabin is fine but I feel I need a little more cargo room going forward so I’m looking towards a Forester or maybe the new Honda Passport with AWD.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'3" and didn't have any headroom problems with our '14 Outback with sunroof. I don't know if the newer generation has any changes to that. The middle console seemed to eat a bit more right legroom than other cars though.

Posts: 2513 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
tons of room in a crosstrek, but hell, hit a dealer and have a seat.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2014 outback, I am 6/3 and around 230, I have to wiggle my legs a bit to get by the steering column but after that it’s no problem.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post