SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Happy 244th Birthday, fellow Marines!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy 244th Birthday, fellow Marines! Login/Join 
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted
MARINE CORPS ORDERS
No. 47 (Series 1921)
HEADQUARTERS U.S. MARINE CORPS
Washington, November 1, 1921

759. The following will be read to the command on the 10th of November, 1921, and hereafter on the 10th of November of every year. Should the order not be received by the 10th of November, 1921, it will be read upon receipt.

1. On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name "Marine". In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

2. The record of our corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of its existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the Battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home, generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas, that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

3. In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term "Marine" has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

4. This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the corps. With it we have also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

JOHN A. LEJEUNE,
Major General Commandant
75705—21

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, Jarheads!!!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to my fellow Devil Dogs!

Semper Fidelis.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday to my brothers, those here and those gone.

S/F

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Semper Fi brothers!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
On the Marine Corps birthday 53 years ago, I was still in boot camp at Parris Island......we were allowed to eat a piece of birthday cake at the chow hall. Good times!Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birtday Marines.

Semper Fi brothers.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday...now don't eat the candles!! They are NOT "sparkly crayons"!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Semper Fidelis to my brothers and sisters out there...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plan of the Day:

Brunch - Pot of coffee and 3 eggs scrambled, crab meat added.

Dinner - Bone in ribeyes, grilled. Red wine to render honors.

Post dinner - Scotch, maybe a cigarette. Salute to our fallen brothers.

"Carry out the plan of the day."

"Aye, Sir!"

Semper Fi Brothers. Let us each find our own way to celebrate our memories of serving the Corps.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to all my fellow Marine Corps brothers and sisters.

Semper Fi...

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, Marines! (From a USAF retiree)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday Marines!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Born in a bar.

Semper fi

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday, from a Navy guy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to rebuild the Tun Tavern so Marines can drink for free.
Happy birthday!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” Eleanor Roosevelt.

Happy birthday, USMC.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday Marines!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle Sam’s misguided children. I am glad we have you. Happy birthday from a Coastie. Semper Fi. God bless.

Posts: 279 | Location: Northeast Ohio  | Registered: August 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday Marines!

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post