SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attack of the kidney stones! Part Deux! In original OP
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attack of the kidney stones! Part Deux! In original OP Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
They're vicious little bastards. I hope it goes as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
Going through it now with a 6mm x 5mm stone lodged at left kidney and just inside the ureter. ER visit last Thursday and admitted to private room throughout weekend for pain control. No relief from the pain even with Norco and Dilaudid in my IVs.

Can't sleep, no relief from pain, no appetite, can't lay down, can't sit down, can't walk around, constant abdominal pain, left kidney area in my back feels like it's been kicked by an angry mule, etc. Nothing works. I'm 48 and the pain took me to my knees. Sue me!

Had emergency lithotripsy procedure Monday morning with the hopes of putting it behind me. Nope! Major complications including swollen feet, ankles, calves, and legs from not being able to urinate, still in unrelenting pain, multiple visits per day to doctor's office for follow-ups, still can't urinate on my own, major constipation, and have been in and out of catheters which doesn't help my already softball size prostate. I come off the table when the tube is pushed up into my bladder. Response from nurse --> "Yeah. I had a devil of a time getting it past your prostate." Gee, you think!?!

It's absolute hell.

Posts: 76 | Registered: November 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Laptop:
Going through it now with a 6mm x 5mm stone lodged at left kidney and just inside the ureter. ER visit last Thursday and admitted to private room throughout weekend for pain control. No relief from the pain even with Norco and Dilaudid in my IVs.

Can't sleep, no relief from pain, no appetite, can't lay down, can't sit down, can't walk around, constant abdominal pain, left kidney area in my back feels like it's been kicked by an angry mule, etc. Nothing works. I'm 48 and the pain took me to my knees. Sue me!

Had emergency lithotripsy procedure Monday morning with the hopes of putting it behind me. Nope! Major complications including swollen feet, ankles, calves, and legs from not being able to urinate, still in unrelenting pain, multiple visits per day to doctor's office for follow-ups, still can't urinate on my own, major constipation, and have been in and out of catheters which doesn't help my already softball size prostate. I come off the table when the tube is pushed up into my bladder. Response from nurse --> "Yeah. I had a devil of a time getting it past your prostate." Gee, you think!?!

It's absolute hell.

I feel so sorry for you! I'll pray for you to have a speedy recovery!

I thought that this sucked, but dude you win by a huge margin!

I'm also 48 years old, I have had like 28(?) episodes of kidney stone attacks. I'm fairly pain torrent, but damn! These fuckers hurt!

Like I said before, I will pray for your speedy recovery. Get better my invisible friend!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
The journey continues. Doctor didn't get all of the stone so an uncrushed part of it is still lodged in the tube going down to my bladder causing pain, retention, and possible renal failure. Lucky me!

Xrays show it hasn't moved, still in unrelenting pain, can't get comfortable, and haven't slept in I can't remember when. Yet another surgery has been scheduled for me on Sept 11th. Let's hope my urologist gets it all this time. I can't keep doing this.

To make matters worse and because I work for a large school district in Texas, our insurance started over Sept 1st so I'll owe ANOTHER $6,000. I've barely started paying on the surgery from August, much less the multiple ER visits and humiliating medical apparatus that seems to be an everyday part of my life.

posted Hide Post
so what are your plans to avoid
getting more kidney stones?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Here is the source of so much suffering. This is my first attempt at using Imgur.

That might be the biggest picture ever posted on this forum.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Thursday I went and had my stent removed. That didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. It wasn't any fun mind you, and it wasn't pleasurable but not bad.

I did almost piss on my urologist! At least he's a good sport and said it was normal.

I spoke to him about this, as when he did the procedure. He only got the two 5mm stones. I was told in recovery that I had "alot" of very small stones by his surgical assistant. He said that they were too small to grab.

He said that I should pass them when I urinate with little to no problems.

I'm still in very minor pain. Maybe .5 out of 1 to 10. I have been in pain for almost a month. At three weeks and acouple of days. So far this has been the top 5 most suckest kidney stone attacks I have ever had. This makes like #28ish.

It had to come at a very lousy time. We just got back to school and don't have enough bus drivers. I'm one of the sub drivers, and they really need me. It's all hands on deck!

Not only that, I'm one of the main field trip drivers. Which has really hurt the field trip coordinator. I'm the guy that she can count on to be there!

So with this, the first attack happening on the bus on my AM Elementary run, scaring the kiddos, me missing a total of 8 3/4 days (I never miss work). Being short on drivers, and missing a bunch of field trips (extra money that I could have made). Which also hurt work/teams. I feel lousy.

I have physically felt bad, plus I feel like I let work/kiddos down not being there.

As a sub drivers driver, in our district it's a position that's over regular route drivers. You have to apply for it, you have to meet higher criteria, have a minimum of three years on a route (I only had 2.5, before the Transportation Director recommend me, as I had provided to be reliable, safe driver and good with the kids). So I feel like I let them down.

I'm in a little funk because of that and I missed extra income. I'm trying to save up for a down payment on a car, as my two are almost done with.

Now on top of that, I have to pay for the ER visit, three doctor office visit and out patient surgery. WOW that's a way to get ahead!

I wish my SIG forum imaginary Friends that are suffering from kidney stones a speedy recovery. I literally feel your pain!

ARman

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I had kidney stones about 40 years ago. I thought I was a goner before they figured out what was causing my problem. I was dang sure in no shape to drive.

Get better soon.

ditto one of my first stones (figured I had had one years prior,, but did not know)

wife came to work and drove me to the Doc, they rolled me across the parking lot to the hospital, and I passed it while waiting for results,
pissed it out that night,

several years later, I passed my 23rd stone on the road,
shook it loose on the way to a rifle match, turned around to go home instead, and passed it while driving about 2 miles from the house,
got home, pissed it out (only hurt then from the kidney to the bladder, never hurts when I pass them out of the bladder)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its not uncommon for stones to actually damage the kidneys

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
its not uncommon for stones to actually damage the kidneys

Very true. Unfortunately, my stone was so large that it got stuck where the ureter meets the kidney, refused to move, and was blocking any flow. Pain was off the charts and beginning to affect that left kidney to the point where it had become inflamed, infected, and needed immediate attention. If left untreated and allowed to fester, it could have caused serious kidney issues and possible failure.

My 2nd surgery is scheduled for Sept 11th where they hope to perform yet another lithotripsy procedure to break up the remaining piece of the original stone lodged in my ureter which is closer to my bladder but hasn't moved in 2 weeks.

I'm high as a kite on some good meds, trying to not wet myself, doing my best to avoid another catheter, but spending most of my time in or near a bathroom. My life is quite pathetic and I'd give just about anything to be done with this and get back to normal.

You can bet a dime to a dollar I'll be drinking nothing but water with fresh-squeezed lemon juice like it's going out of style. Can't get any straight answers from anyone, but apparently the consensus is that the acidity in lemon juice keeps calcium deposits from linking together thus making larger stones. I don't mind passing grains of sand, but those large stones are the devil's spawn and can go back from whence they came!

I was nearly killed in a motorcycle accident back in '01 and I can tell you the pain from that accident was NOTHING compared to the pain I've experienced from these kidney stones.

Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
On a side note, what do you think I can get for a slightly damaged left kidney on the black market?

Asking for a friend...

Smile

posted Hide Post
Damn Mr Laptop. I will say you did out do me. I was close to the same situation, but mine turned out alittle better.

I truly pray that you will be on the mends soon! I have been doing this for three weeks and a handful of days. I have gone completely stir crazy! At least with the good meds, I did a lot of sleeping.

Today was the first day I was feeling good enough to be somewhat active and I am feeling kinda of bad right now. I didn't think that I over did it, but I'm hurrying a little bit and I'm really tired.

On the value of your kidney, not much. I ever tried to convince people that mine was "jewel encrusted" with no takers....oh well, at least I tried!

Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
When I meet with my doctor in the morning before they give me the "goofy juice" and whisk my naked body to who knows where for social media photo ops, I'm going to beg him to start using the lithotripsy machine up at my brain (thereby giving me a lobotomy) and work it down to my toes. I don't want him to miss anything this time!

I'm anxious and worried I'll go into retention again and need another catheter. I'm praying that doesn't happen because it's beyond uncomfortable and humiliating.

Thanks for the prayers. I'm glad you're on the road to recovery and beginning to feel human again. I would give anything for that to happen to me tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
I hope so! I'll keep you in my prayers and on my mind tonight and tomorrow. Keep me posted on how things are going.

I still have "a lot" of very little ones, from grain of sand to a couple of grains of sand, by what my "dick smith" told me Thursday when he removed the stent.

Said that they were small enough that I shouldn't notice them passing. He has me on Flomax for the next few months.

I have had at a half dozen people diddle with my junk in the last month and none of it has been fun or pleasurable.

Get better my friend. I wish you all the best and luck and my prayers are with you!

ARman

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Stints suck too. I tried to tough out a backpacking trip with a stint in and man did I learn a tough lesson. The stint rubs against the bladder all the time. I did learn that I'd rather have the stint WITH a string than without. With a string they just grab and pull hard and quick. Without a string they have to use a scope to go up into the bladder and grab the stint and then pull both scope and stint. Give me the string! Ask your Doc if you're type of stones would be stopped or slowed with Potassium Citrate. Best thing they ever did was start me on Potassium Citrate.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Stints suck too. I tried to tough out a backpacking trip with a stint in and man did I learn a tough lesson. The stint rubs against the bladder all the time. I did learn that I'd rather have the stint WITH a string than without. With a string they just grab and pull hard and quick. Without a string they have to use a scope to go up into the bladder and grab the stint and then pull both scope and stint. Give me the string! Ask your Doc if you're type of stones would be stopped or slowed with Potassium Citrate. Best thing they ever did was start me on Potassium Citrate.

Well so far. It's been determined that I get calcium, cystine and uric acid kidney stones. I'm a lucky genetically producer. By the test years ago, which was a blood test and 48 hours urine test just about everything that I eat, drink, smell, taste or touch causes them. I had a three and a half page, front and back of the things that were listed stay away from completely or very, very little to not so bad but watch my intake (that list was a shortest part on the bottom of the half page). I followed a very restricted diet and two meds (don't remember which one's) for better than two years. It did not change a thing. I got them (which at that time in my life, two to four times a year) with the same frequency. So I said fuck it and stopped the very restricted diet and meds. Why suffer and also pay money for something that didn't seem to work?!

This is the first one that I have had in something like 7 to 9 years, so I have that!

Yeah, the stent was very unfun! I guess that I lucked out that I had a Dr. put one in with a rip cord! That hurt, but not as bad as I thought it would. Again unfun!

I know that I couldn't find a comfortable position with that damn thing in! The moment the Doc got it out I felt 90% better!

I'm still a little sore, but I have no infection or anything, so I'm not sure why. I didn't ask the Doctor, but it might be from all the poking around in there with that confounded contraption!

This is in the top 5 most suckest kidney stone attacks that I have had, and I could do without any of this again!

ARman

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The worst part of my "adventure" was flying home from Oahu to Maui after my ESWL (lithotripsy) with a stent in my ureter, a Foley catheter in my bladder, and a (full!) leg bag. Hawaiian Airlines didn't give me a seat next to my wife. The woman I sat next to didn't want to switch, we finally prevailed on her to do a three-way switch, my wife gave her twenty bucks. What a b$tch.

I described previously my other highlights: having the diamond-sharp calcium oxalate shards descend into my ureter; and having the stent pulled out by surprise (ready? On three...one, two...oh, it's out!) My wife heard a yell, then a big laugh.

I'm now growing a couple little ones, so I'm on a lemonade diet.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I used to produce 5-10 stones a year and sometimes had a couple surgeries a year. First one got stuck in the ureter in Infantry School Ft Benning. I finished Infantry School and a couple weeks of Airborne School before they sent me to ATL for the early version of lithotripsy in the metal tub of water. I've lost track of how many surgeries but it between 25-50. Seriously sad that Ive had that many and quit counting. One Dr talked me into a PCNL and cut the renal artery. After almost a week I'd bled out and almost died. Spent two weeks in ICU where they finally stopped the artery up killing 75% of my left kidney in Spring 2001. In 2009 I kept loosing function and when it dropped below 20% they took that kidney via robotic nephrectomy. Left the hospital the next morning hurting pretty good. Now I take the Potassium Citrate and drink water like a fish. Don't make many stones anymore and haven't had to have surgery for stones since 2009. Hope all goes better for you guys.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
2nd surgery was performed at 6:30am CST this morning. I'm in a LOT of pain but nothing like my first surgery. Hoping I don't start retaining fluids and need a catheter. I'm high as a kite, can barely type a sentence, but it's better than the alternative. Keeping my fingers crossed for a better outcome.

After surgery, I immediately went downstairs to my Urologist's office, winked at the girl who typically inserts my catheter, and said, "I'll be back" in my best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice. My wife was not amused and was so embarrassed that she ran out and got a box of mini-cupcakes for the doctors and ladies in the office. They deserve them for putting up with my antics.

What really gets me is that such a tiny thing in the body can cause an ungodly amount of pain. It's hard to describe to others who've never suffered. I would never wish this pain upon my worst enemy. Well...maybe...but I digress...

I think it's time for me to buy stock in lemons, 100% real lemon juice, and lemonade.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Laptop, I have had you in my thoughts and prayers! I'm wishing for the best for you!

Yeah, I'm kinda of a jokester. Especially when I'm in pain, upset I try to take my mind off of it with a little levity. The poor nurses, they had to endure the onslaught. I told my cousin that took me to the hospital that they (the nurses) were lucky that I wasn't an old guy, cause I would be pinching the nurses behinds. My cousin laughs, this is with in ear shot of acouple of nurses, cousin (afew years older, female) say yeah, why old guy. I said that I most likely would get a way with it! About then one of the cuter ones walks in and I wink at her.

The nurse just laughed and said that she never saw someone that was in that much pain be able to crack jokes like me. I said that I was being serious!

I have been drinking a lot of cranberry pomegranate and lemon juice concentrate mixed together with a little bit of ginger ale, or club soda to give it a little fizz. I prefer ginger ale/beer. With ginger beer it's even better!

ARman