SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attack of the kidney stones! Part Deux! In original OP
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attack of the kidney stones! Part Deux! In original OP Login/Join 
posted
Well today started out like most other days. I woke up, put out some water and breakfast for the pup. Got ready for work.

I take my pup outside before I leave and come in, turn on the TV to her favorite morning show and head to work.

I get there and feel a little pain as I pre trip my bus, nothing really. Time to depart for the route.

Going along picking up the kiddos and about 75% of the elementary route done (BAM!) severe pain!

I called dispatch and told them what was going on. Pulled over in a safe place and tried to reassure the kiddos that everything was ok.

As I sat in the drivers seat, with an almost full bus of elementary school kids in terrible pain. I was worried about upsetting them.

As I sat there a mother of one of the kiddos saw the bus stopped with the hazard lights on and drove down to check. I told her what was going on and she drove the neighborhood that I was in and told the parents and children standing outside what was going on.

After a while the assistant director and another bus driver showed up, I got off the bus and the other driver finished the route.

The boss man rushed me to the ER where it was confirmed that I have a kidney stone. Actually two, 5mm stones in my right kidney. After a while before they gave me anything, the pain subsided greatly. It was/is still painful but no where what it was on the bus. They gave me something and I felt much better. I'm home now, trying to pass them now. I physically feel lousy. The pain is just there, not too bad now with a little meds. I also feel emotionally lousy, as some of the kiddos were quite worried. Plus we are desperately short handed, I feel like I let them down.

I can't wait to get this finished up soon and back on the road again.

I guess that I just feel bad about the kiddos. I guess it's stupid, but I feel like I worried them.

ARman

So it continues! Laser Lithotripsy/Cystoscopy....

Update, I worked all week except for today where I went in for out patient surgery. I had that gibberish above done with a stent insertion with stone basket.

So I went back to work Monday, still in pain but it was low enough where I was able to function. I felt like shit every day and didn't sleep well, but enough to get by and be safe. Monday I talked to the kiddos and without going into great detail explained what happened.

Some were worried about me. Some could care less. Some were very helpful and the great people that I work with were helpful (though it added extra work for them) and very supportive. I can't relate the greatest of my coworkers!

So I suffered all week with a couple of attacks at night, that had me sweating, swearing and praying at the same time! Lord I repent! I was scheduled for today's procedure on Monday. If I passed the stone then I could cancel. If not well time for some fun!

So last night I had another attack, it was pain level 5, but I didn't sleep well at all. Probably 2 hours total. My cousin picked me up early and we arrived at hospital at 7:45 AM for my 8:00 AM pre-op. Surgery scheduled for 10:00 AM. It went off on time. I woke up in post-op and before long was on my way home. With a stop off to get more meds.

I was told that the Doctor removed one (1) 5mm stone, but there were a lot of really small stones in both of my kidneys. The Doc. said that with the stent and Flomax that I should be able to pass the remaining stones in the next few days.

I hurt still, but it's not that intense pain that I have had. The stent is not very fun and some of the side affects isn't all that great/fun.

I'm still fairly doped up but functional (I believe, I'm not legally responsible for what I say, if it makes no sense or poor spelling/grammar. So I apologize in advance. Or Razz)

I'm really for this to be over. This last two weeks have sucked. To top it off the hospital didn't want me to be around any animals, so yesterday I had to take my pup to my friends house. I'm waiting for her to come home now! My friend should be here soon with my little girl. On top of that my friend told me today that my little girl is sick! Damn! I just can't catch a break! I hope my pup gets better soon. She just got over it UTI 3 weeks ago.

So there you go. I'm feeling better, still have some pain and discomfort but heading in the right direction. I have had great surport from my kiddos (including their parents), co-workers, friends (even my invisible SIG forum friends) and family. My cousin is great! I'm going to have to do something for her. Just don't know what yet.

I can say that though this hasn't been any fun, I had great surport from everyone. I feel blessed for that! I'll give an update later on.

ARman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ARman,

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had kidney stones about 40 years ago. I thought I was a goner before they figured out what was causing my problem. I was dang sure in no shape to drive.

Get better soon.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Good for you for stopping safely and making sure the kids got to school safely.

Hope you pass the kidney stones as fast possible.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess that I just feel bad about the kiddos. I guess it's stupid, but I feel like I worried them.

Yep. I am sure you did. Be sure and have a talk with them about what happened. You sound like a very conscientious person, I would be happy to have you driving my kids around.

Kidney stones are no fun, and the pain is some of the most intense you are ever likely to experience. Good luck, and post back.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My best to you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
My gosh those hurt! Glad you are well.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The dreaded "piss nuts". Sorry to hear. That reminds me; gotta drink more water!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Ouch! I feel for you sir. Last one I had was "only" 2mm and the pain had me puking. 5mm...no thank you! Hope you pass it soon.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Twins!

I was relieved when I found out I had a kidney stone. Up till then I had thought I was dying.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. These aren't my first. I knew that I had them back in June, I would have sharp pains every once in a while.

In June I had a check up and the Doctor did a blood and urine test. It indicated that I might have a kidney stone.

I'm usually able to predict them passing better. Yet today it took me a little but surprise, though I woke up and had mild pain in my back and side, I figured that it would pass.

I started my route and it had almost gone away the BAM! out of nowhere intense pain. I tried to forge on but I realized that I wouldn't be safe to do so, so I called dispatch and told them that they needed to send someone to get the bus and kiddos.

I feel bad that I may have worried them, and that I caused them to not only be late to school, but getting home because they had to double that route and it's a long route.

I have been napping and drinking plenty of water and lemon aid. Still feel like crap! I hope that I pass them soon and get back to work!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was running alot but not drinking enough water. Pretty sure I was gonna die, AND wanted too!

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I can sympathize. I had a kidney stone back in the 1990s--it was very painful.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Had my first last fall. The pain is pretty exquisite. My portion of the hospital bill was nearly as painful.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
pissed out number 8 or so a couple months ago, about that size,, (kept it, need to measure it I guess)
barely felt it,, guess you get used to them,,

try to catch it when you pass, and take it to a uro and find out what it is,

I have Calcium somethinganother stones, and I am a producer, (inherited that from my mother,,,,)
as in last Cat or Mri of my kidneys had at least 10 small stones in each, thankfully none in the tubes,,

if yours are the same,, drink good beer (dr;s advice) lemon, grapefruit, or orange juice, and lots of water,
the acid in the juice is processed in a way that helps coat the stones and makes them come out quicker and easier (as in smaller)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I had blood in my urine the night before and was so freaked out about it I said nothing to my wife thought I would wait I until I went again to see if the issues was gone. later that night I thought I was going to die it hurt like hell and doubled me over.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
After somewhere around 50 kidney stone related surgeries and the loss of a kidney, I feel your pain. My first came in Infantry and Airborne School at Ft. Benning GA. I've had them so frequently I can work through most of them. Always feels like someone is jamming their thumb in my back. Once it's passed into the lower passage it's like a constant kick in the nut on the side it passes on. As counter intuitive as it sounds I found moving while drinking tons of fluids and meds helped. Walking or mowing grass helped speed it along. Over the years I've had Drs try different things to decrease the amount produced and with my type of stones Potassium Citrate has been a God send. It's expensive out of pocket. It worth it. I take over 1000 mg of Potassium Citrate 2x a day and for years I've had very few. A big change from 5+ stones per year. Might be worth a visit to the old dick smith (Urologist) and get a work up to determine what yours are made of and go from there. Best of luck passing them.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I have felt your pain too. Hope you pass them soon and are back to feeling well. You did the right thing.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
You absolutely did the right thing!
I've been an even more empathetic doctor since having my own kidney stones. Apparently I'm nursing a couple more tiny ones. I've added citrate (lemonade) to my diet.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I hope you pass the stones quickly and without issue, and feel better soon.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Here is the source of so much suffering. This is my first attempt at using Imgur.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post