SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LEOs confuse bird poop and cocaine, College quarterback arrested and suspended, and college QB vindicated
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEOs confuse bird poop and cocaine, College quarterback arrested and suspended, and college QB vindicated Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I'm a big supporter of the men and women in blue, but this story rates a big WTF?

IMO, the wrong person was drug tested and the officers should have been the ones drug tested. Why would you even field test bird poop for suspicion of cocaine on a car you just stopped for speeding?

I'm betting they're hounded mercilessly at the station for confusing bird shit and cocaine.
quote:
College quarterback has suspension lifted after white substance found on the hood of his car that cops at the scene claimed was cocaine turns out to be BIRD POOP
By Lauren Edmonds For Dailymail.com

Published: 17:07 EDT, 9 August 2019 | Updated: 17:26 EDT, 9 August 2019

Drug charges have been dropped against the Georgia Southern University starting quarterback after police officers mistook bird poop for cocaine.

Prosecutors in Saluda County, South Carolina told the Savannah Morning News on Thursday that possession of cocaine charge against 21-year-old Shai Werts has been cleared.

Werts was originally arrested in his hometown of Clinton, South Carolina on July 31 after police officers pulled him over for speeding.

He was charged with a misdemeanor for cocaine possession and speeding. Following the news, he was suspended from Georgia Southern University team activities.

That suspension has now been lifted.

In dashcam footage of the arrest, officers are tailing behind Werts' 2016 Dodge Charger before pulling him over.

After Werts steps out of his car, officers arrest him and place him in the back seat of the patrol car. Officers then proceed to search Werts car, paying particular attention to the hood.

An officer approaches Werts and asks, 'What's the white stuff on the front of your hood, man?'

To which Werts replies, 'bird s**t'.

The officers don't believe Werts claims and repeatedly ask what the substance on his car hood is.

The officers administrated a field test to verify the substance and told Werts the results were positive.

'I swear to God it's not [bird poo],' the officer says, 'because I just tested it and that turned pink.'

Officers tell Werts the substance tested positive for cocaine.

'I have no reason to lie about cocaine,' Werts said, 'I play football. Sir, I don't do cocaine.'

The Southern Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) announced that they had tested to alleged sample and detected no controlled substance.

Deputy Solicitor for the 11th Judicial Circuit, Al Eargle told Savannah Morning News, 'After I extensively looked at everything that law enforcement presented to me, I came to the conclusion that I couldn't meet that burden of proof.'

Werts' attorney, Townes Jones IV, said, 'They'd have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt' that Werts was responsible for the substance's presence on his vehicle.'

Jones also said the prosecutors couldn't prove Werts knew the substance was on his car.

Although the drug charge has been dropped, Werts is still being charged with speeding.

Jones has advised Werts not to seek a public apology from the Saluda County Sheriff's Office.

'They had a pretty credible basis for pursuing, and ultimately stopping him and that is speeding,' Jones said.

He continued,' Then they didn't do anything wrong by attempting to collect evidence, or what they saw as evidence even though they had no basis from looking at him and looking at the inside of his car to think that he was transporting drugs.'

Werts was alerted of the news on Thursday around 5.15pm when Jones called him.

The Savannah Morning News reported Werts was,'happy to hear the news' and 'confident that's what would ultimately happen.'

The Georgia Southern University athletic director, Tim Kleinlein announced on Friday that the team was 'elated' to hear the news.

Werts is no longer suspended from team activities.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I usually carry my coke around on the hood.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I thought you had pallets of it with an unregistered SBR sitting on top? Wink

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I thought you had pallets of it with an unregistered SBR sitting on top? Wink

Duh, and how do you think I carry it around?

It’s the old banana in the tail pipe gag.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I was Chief of Clinton PD, everyone involved would be laterally transferred to the city dump.
Probably a good opportunity for field testing bird poop there.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I’ve been in LE going on 20+ years now and I can’t believe stuff like this happens.

First, the guy gets cuffed and stuffed for speeding? Unless it was to a degree that resulted in him being charged with reckless endangerment, I don’t understand their reasoning.

Then, tossing the car, because he was cuffed and stuffed? Just what is the basis for the search? What are you looking for? What fruits of the crime?

And yeah, I always look to see if there is drugs on the outside of the vehicle.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coke sticks really well to the hood of a speeding car!

WTF?!?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
So the bird had cocaine in his system?

Suddenly “surfing bird” by the Trashmen makes a whole lot more sense.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Damn a sad story about shit,that chief need to have a serious talk with these clowns

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
So the bird had cocaine in his system?

Suddenly “surfing bird” by the Trashmen makes a whole lot more sense.

Everybody knows about the bird.....

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I’m confused, not only about mistaking bird poop for cocaine, but the geography too. The town of Clinton, SC is not in or even close to Saluda county, SC. The story is full of fail on multiple levels.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
This article makes more sense: https://www.ajc.com/news/crime...MK0OSSK3K5ioToa57pN/

He had left his grandmothers house, which is in Clinton. He was stopped and arrested in Saluda County. Clinton Police Dept had nothing to do with this case.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
I’ve been in LE going on 20+ years now and I can’t believe stuff like this happens.

First, the guy gets cuffed and stuffed for speeding? Unless it was to a degree that resulted in him being charged with reckless endangerment, I don’t understand their reasoning.

Then, tossing the car, because he was cuffed and stuffed? Just what is the basis for the search? What are you looking for? What fruits of the crime?

And yeah, I always look to see if there is drugs on the outside of the vehicle.

Sounds like these guys mistook their badges for crowns.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t know shit from shine-o-la.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Damn a sad story about shit,that chief need to have a serious talk with these clowns

I have immense respect for good police officers!

Having said that, these idiots need to be FIRED!

Anybody that stupid should never have been hired in the first place. Anybody else smell a law suit?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You have to wonder what really motivates some of these LE to do stupid shit like this?
I remember someone getting arrested for icing of a donut on his floor in his car a while back?
Pressure to come up with arrests to validate their importance maybe?
God, I love these guys but it makes my head shake with amazement. Confused

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
The officers administrated a field test to verify the substance and told Werts the results were positive.

'I swear to God it's not [bird poo],' the officer says, 'because I just tested it and that turned pink.'

That there is a quality test, that is. Eek

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those officers need to be de-certified and fired.

Speeding, yes. But why pull him out of the vehicle, cuff and stuff him? Why search the vehicle at all?

I guess there's the old standby in the South - driving while black?

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Junkie Challenge- Snort cocaine of the hood of a speeding car.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:

I guess there's the old standby in the South - driving while black?

Welcome to Georgia.
The motto- Well, we're not as bad as Alabama.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post