SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My son is pretty fired up about ice hockey
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son is pretty fired up about ice hockey Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
He played in ice hockey leagues from 5 years old until he was 15. He started playing high school hockey until at one practice one of his friends broke a rib and another got a concussion. Without fanfare, I just quit taking him. A factor was preventing injury to his hands since he played violin.

He missed hockey and in hindsight he considered choosing being a distance runner like his sister during high school was stupid. He determined that even the practices were fun when he played hockey. I hoped he would play as an adult and he finally did when he lived in Aspen Colorado one winter.

He's resumed playing now that he's living in central Missouri and not on a sailboat in Maine or Panama. I loved watching him play when he was a kid, and was so glad he latched onto one of my favorite sports. He has thanked me several times for taking the time assist his participation in many sports and instilling love of sport in him.

He's pretty busy and independent so my wife and I don't talk to him a lot. We finally talked to him the other night and we had several things to catch up on. He stops us just after the hello and asks if he can first tell us about the goals he scored in his last games. It is the best of life to have him describe in detail and with great enthusiasm the skating moves, the passes and how he exploited a goalkeepers mistakes.

He plays on Sunday nights, his text when I looked at my phone this morning: "1 goal and five assists"

Posts: 7455 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story! How old is he now? Is he playing in a men's league? The joy of skating quickly returns, no matter how long you have been off the ice that's for sure.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Does he have a mullet yet? That's when you know they're serious. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
He's 27. Yes he's playing in a men's league.

No mullet. He looks like a GQ model. He was at some dinner engagement and the host's teenage daughter called him Ken, like Barbie's Ken.

I began playing organized hockey in the 1970's when hockey hair was in it's prime. I had no mullet then, but admit to one later.

Posts: 7455 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love beer league hockey, I play twice a week. it is a blast.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
I love beer league hockey, I play twice a week. it is a blast.

I quit about 12 years ago. I have always had trouble sleeping after evening hockey games due to getting yipped up. Which means I don't recover from an hour of fun until after the second night. I decided the payoff wasn't worth it.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Ice hockey is a beautiful sport. I love to see good hockey skaters at public open skating. Much more entertaining to watch than figure skaters.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
My son played from 4 yo all the way through high school. He was pretty burned out and only played a couple of times a year but now plays when he gets the chance. Love watching a great skater play!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I still play in an adult league. Our last game was at 10:20 pm. Don't love the game times but still lots of fun.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:

No mullet. He looks like a GQ model. He was at some dinner engagement and the host's teenage daughter called him Ken, like Barbie's Ken.

I began playing organized hockey in the 1970's when hockey hair was in it's prime. I had no mullet then, but admit to one later.

You saying he's got a big afro?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I played in a men’s league for quite a few years. We would also just get a bunch of guys together and play when ice time was available which was like 1:00AM.

I will never forget scoring what I thought was a meaningless goal and looking up into the stands to realize there was one person actually in the stands at 1:30AM on a Sunday morning. That one person was my dad.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:

You saying he's got a big afro?

The stereotype GQ model, not the affirmative action one.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm another guy that played in men's leagues in the '70s. I had long hair and was likened to Derek Sanderson, wore #16, Bobby Clarkes number.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
The All Hockey Hair Team is one of my favorite parts about the annual Minnesota High School Hockey tournament.

When Barry Melrose calls your state "Minneflowta", you know you're doing it right.

ETA: trying to post this video from my phone. Clearly things have gone wrong. Attempting to fix.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zcPTba-oUOs

------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.

Posts: 70 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post