SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much was your turkey.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much was your turkey. Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
.99cts per LB for a 14lb frozen butterball. Prefer a smoked or fried turkey that has been stuck with the flavored needle. No matter which one is used the best part is when the bird goes into the stock pot and is turned into home made soup with pasta noodles.. But the Best part will be the birthday cake for dessert which every couple of years falls out on turkey day. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Got a free fresh one from some friends who raised several. Apparently it was walking around last Friday.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
We usually buy a Greenburg smoked turkey each year that runs $65-75 delivered but the Greenburg plant burned down about a month ago and all production was lost so no 2020 Greenburg Smoked Turkey this year.
https://www.cbs19.tv/article/n...f1-9134-afdcb731d392

Greenburg just announced they are breaking ground on a new facility for 2021;
https://tylerpaper.com/news/bu...76-8311c11b50ed.html

Son-in-law is trying his hand at smoking one and as always one of the daughters cooks a regular one in the oven.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
This is the first year I bought a fresh turkey. Meaning not frozen not a butterball etc.. It was 25lbs and $82. I thought that was pretty outrageous but I've never bought fresh before. Is that a normal price for that size turkey from the meat market.

Definitely looking forward to the entire Thanksgiving meal since this is by far my favorite holiday.
Thanksgiving is one of my favs as well. I paid close to your price for a 22lb turkey. For years I've gotten fresh turkey and whole holiday hams and other items from the same local, family-owned and operated butcher shop that's been around for more than 100 years. It can be pricey for some items, but the service is exceptional and the meat sources are always local as well.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I am not much of a Turkey fan, especially the white meat. Instead, I have 4 full racks of baby back pork ribs to go into the smoker tomorrow. Of course, there is the REQUIRED Bloody Mary to watch it smoke and be sure that all is well. I will then vacuum seal the left-overs for later.

I see no problems with this.
I agree and I love turkey.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
$0.99/LB at Costco 5 minutes ago - Fresh

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
$31 for just the breasteses. 6.3 lbs. of breast (fresh though).

Normally we get a whole fresh turkey. Since it's smaller gatherings this year, I asked the butcher if they were going to do half turkies. They were afraid they wouldn't be able to sell the other half. Roll Eyes

Goodluck trying to sell 24 lb. turkeys to groups of less than 10.
And now I ain't got no dark meat!

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Free after spending $400 six weeks before the close out date. Some years we earned 2 and would give one away to the food pantry.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
$.39 a pound for a 20# frozen turkey. We had Thanksgiving dinner Tuesday due to conflicting schedules. Brined the turkey 24 hours in a Firehouse Subs pickle bucket, rubbed with John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler rub, smoked beer can style on the Big Green Egg, 2.5 hours at 350. This has to be the best turkey we have ever done, and at .39 a pound a real bargain..

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A 20lb turkey in 2.5 hours at 350 degrees, that's awesome. I'm going to have to look that up. I don't have an Egg, but I'm wondering if I can replicate the method on my grill.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Ours cost $120.00 this year. The wife and I have both had knee replacement this fall. So we decided to purchase a complete precooked
dinner, suppose to feed 8-12. Them fools have have never watched me Thanksgiving dinner! Just the 2 of us (plus dog) for dinner so we have some leftovers.

Side note, my grandfather, who was a farmer his whole life, one made the comment that when buying a turkey get at least a 20# bird. The meat to bone & innards makes it the best deal. Don't know if he was right but he was certainly one of the smartest people I ever knew.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frozen turkey, 78cents per pound

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
scanning this thread, there is one point I am missing...

Are Turkey prices up or down this year??? I mean, in general.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent $400 since October 1 at the stop and shop here so mine was a free 21lb bird

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
$30.99 for a 18.34# 'Fresh' Butterball ($1.69/lb)

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever we paid for the chicks in spring, and a few sacks of feed. Family eats a turkey on a regular basis. Thanksgiving dinner will be had this Saturday, and will be the steer we butchered today.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
A 20lb turkey in 2.5 hours at 350 degrees, that's awesome. I'm going to have to look that up. I don't have an Egg, but I'm wondering if I can replicate the method on my grill.
The egg is hotter near the top of the dome than at the grate. When you stand it up on the ceramic beercan cooker, the thickest part of the bird is up where it is hotter. The beercan cooker is filled with beer and steams the bird from the inside as well, which shortens the cooking time. Internal temp (165) is what counts more than cooking time.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Free turkey today.
The role of Tank was played by my daughter....

I am thankful. But why couldn't she have been this industrious before she left the nest? Big Grin

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post