SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much was your turkey.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much was your turkey. Login/Join 
posted
This is the first year I bought a fresh turkey. Meaning not frozen not a butterball etc.. It was 25lbs and $82. I thought that was pretty outrageous but I've never bought fresh before. Is that a normal price for that size turkey from the meat market.

Definitely looking forward to the entire Thanksgiving meal since this is by far my favorite holiday.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Somehow we veered in our Thanksgiving family tradition - go to the beach, have turkey sandwiches. But the main course is the next day I cook prime rib. I just spent $105 on a prime rib roast.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Back when my wife was raising and selling fresh turkeys for Thanksgiving she was losing money at $3.00 a pound dressed. Therefore she doesn't raise turkeys to sell but we have some for ourselves including the one that graces our Thanksgiving table.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Back when my wife was raising and selling fresh turkeys for Thanksgiving she was losing money at $3.00 a pound dressed. Therefore she doesn't raise turkeys to sell but we have some for ourselves including the one that graces our Thanksgiving table.
Well then $82 for a 25lb turkey is entirely reasonable then.

This is the first year that I won't be going to my parents for Thanksgiving so I guess I didn't realize turkeys were that much $$.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Last year I bought an absurdly expensive free range, air-chilled, heritage breed turkey from D'Artagnan ($160 for an 8-10 pound bird).

It was really super, easily the best turkey I have ever cooked.

This year, we aren't doing Thanksgiving at home and have limited cooler/fridge/oven space so I bought a much less expensive bone-in breast to smoke.

I liked last year's bird enough that I actually tried to find an air-chilled, heritage breed breast for this year, but wasn't able to, only whole birds.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I know someone that sold them fresh for $3 a lb. Fresh as they were walking around maybe an hour before.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Honeysuckle White - .79/lb x 24 lbs. I’ve never tried a fresh turkey

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I can't believe what some people pay for a turkey. Ours was .89 cents a pound.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
.49 for Publix house brand.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
30 something for a 9.5lb but its a fresh air chilled marys turkey slaughtered last week.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Sometimes they are free ranging. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Butterball. .99/lb yesterday. I think I want to find a fresh one. I smoke over mesquite, skin on of course.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
.49 for Publix house brand.

Ditto, $.49/lb. frozen at Publix and Kroger in Savannah.
Billy

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Place I got my turkey from was $4.29/lb (I assume they hand fed them, massaged them, and sang them kumbaya (or other sweet nothings) daily for this price) -- my practice turkey on Saturday.. smallest they has was 12 lb.

Largely as I'm not use to a fresh bird and got leery that it would last until Thursday (only because the meat dept rep I was talking with suggested freezing it for a day if I planned on using for Thursday). If it wasn't for that it would have been my t-day bird.

One I picked up today 14 lb (smallest available).

More local farm has fresh turkeys for $3.35/lb but the smallest currently available has been 18-24lb, which is just too big for just 2 people. Not that 12 lb or 14 lb is exactly the right size for 2 people.

Overall, the practice bird was a good idea as the dry brine had issues (was following serious eats directions, but applied the volume of salt (1/2 cup kosher + Tbsp baking powder) to my test bird before scrolling down and reading that I shouldn't expect to use anything beyond 1/2 of the mix... SOB!!!!.... Still edible.. but too salty.. and just off and not where I would want it to be.

Still debating if I'll go with a dry brine or revert back to a normal brine (wet) for the 2nd one.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
4lb Turducken roll from Cajun grocer.com. $55. Small gathering this year so we did not need a 10-15lb Turducken

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ribs and Brisket man, Ribs and Brisket.

I guess I'm a bit of a contrarian.

I'll eat turkey, but it's not one of my top 100 things to eat. It's dry and bland. I'll eat the turkey, but I just really don't enjoy it. Just to be clear, I don't hate it, I don't dislike it tremendously, I just don't prefer it.

I love all the other food items that go onto the dining table at Thanksgiving. The dressing, the side dishes, the deserts, etc etc etc.

I just really like to have ribs and brisket, mainly brisket, at Thanksgiving.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
We skip Turkey. Went to a ranch, picked out a 64lb pig and Wilbur is cooling down in my cooler. Tomorrow we do injections of Mojo, sit until Thursday morning then Caja China (roaster box) Thursday. Have some friends bringing a smoked turkey so we will have. My pig was 2.50/lb or roughly $175 cleaned and dressed. Yeah, turkey is expensive these days

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Fresh Butterball at Costco was 99 cents a pound. Got a 20 pounder to BBQ.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.29 cents a pound, frozen 25 lbs.

And it gets better...

...a free one, 17 1/2 lbs. from Texas Roadhouse!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
We skip Turkey. Went to a ranch, picked out a 64lb pig and Wilbur is cooling down in my cooler. Tomorrow we do injections of Mojo, sit until Thursday morning then Caja China (roaster box) Thursday. Have some friends bringing a smoked turkey so we will have. My pig was 2.50/lb or roughly $175 cleaned and dressed. Yeah, turkey is expensive these days
post pictures. Always wanted to try this.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post