SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What quality product do we like for leather-care that won't darken leather?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What quality product do we like for leather-care that won't darken leather? Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I bought some very nice leather slings for some rifles. Should get them shortly. Two are tan leather with white stitching. One is black leather with white stitching. And one is a mix of tan and black leather with white stitching. I want to use something to preserve them and everything I've ever used in the past has darkened the leather some. I want to avoid that and definitely want to avoid staining the white stitching.

I think neatsfoot oil is out. For me, that has always darkened leather and somewhat discolors stitching.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I like Bick No. 4. I have not noticed that it darkens leather, but, in fairness, I have never tried it on a raw leather. I use it on cowboy boots which have fancy stitching on the shafts, and on a leather flight jacket. All of these leathers are already pretty dark, so I don't know how lighter leather would be affected.

In your circumstances, and given that one wrong product could permanently color the leather, I'd call the manufacturer and ask.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Question: you mention that both have white stitching; are they both made of two pieces of top-grain sewed flesh side to flesh side?

That aside, my inclination would be to stay away from oils of any kind and instead use a cream or paste type preserver that has bee’s wax for its base.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Bicks Number 4. No question.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Renaissance Wax is recommended by several top leathersmiths. I have been using it for years on not only leather but guns also.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Question: you mention that both have white stitching; are they both made of two pieces of top-grain sewed flesh side to flesh side?

That aside, my inclination would be to stay away from oils of any kind and instead use a cream or paste type preserver that has bee’s wax for its base.

Not sure of the terminology. The two-colored sling is tan leather framing underlying black leather. Smooth side of both is up. Suede sides are down.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Okay, Bick No. 4 looks good.

https://www.amazon.com/Bickmor...nished/dp/B001CS2Q4M

Renaissance Wax. Never heard of it. Amazon has that for $25 per 200ml jar. Looks like that is more of a metal wax. Looks like some people use it to polish hard, formed leather. Is it useful on leather that needs to stay pliable?

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
The following is based on my experience on my leather bag:

This took green sharpie off of my saddleback bag:

Followed by this to add moisture back to it:
This doesn't appear to darken the leather once dried.

Start:

Cleaned:

Conditioner added:

All done:

Lesson learned, don't rub quite so hard, let the cleaner do the work. If I showed you the bag today, you wouldn't know it had green sharpie on it.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

I saw Chamerlain's on a website showing the "10 best" leather conditioners.

One of the others I saw is Lexol Deep Conditioner. I forgot, I actually have some of that in the garage that I use on my wife's car leather seats.

I'll have to find some light tanned leather to see how it does. The leather seats in the car are finished. Tanned leather seems more likely to soak stuff up and discolor. I'll test it.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Thankfully the chamberlains took the sharpie off the bag. I wasn't happy when the youngin opted to put it there. I try to go over the gear about once a year, and it seems to do well. I am satisfied with the results. This thread might prompt me to clean it over the weekend. Will post before/after if desired.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
The best? Leathrique is the best.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 239 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Griot's that you can buy at Autozone.

It's a spray leather cleaner and conditioner that does all that but doesn't darken the leather.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Chamberlains. I use it on my briefcase and all my shoes.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Lexol darkens while it is wet, but then it dries and is absorbed and the item returns to its previous color.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:

One of the others I saw is Lexol Deep Conditioner. I forgot, I actually have some of that in the garage that I use on my wife's car leather seats.

I'll have to find some light tanned leather to see how it does. The leather seats in the car are finished. Tanned leather seems more likely to soak stuff up and discolor. I'll test it.

I use Lexol on my boots and leather furniture and it does not darken the leather. Works well and it's easy to apply

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:

I use Lexol on my boots and leather furniture and it does not darken the leather. Works well and it's easy to apply

I'd recommend Lexol also, they make a non darkening formula now that is in a white spray bottle (instead of brown) just for light colored leather. You can find it at Advanced Auto parts and similar places.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post