SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shop Lighting Tip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop Lighting Tip Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
If, like me, your 16 year old ambition is being hampered by 60-mumble year old eyes, you know that lighting is critical.

I started with 100 watt incandescents in my garage. Better than a coal oil torch, but not much.

Then I heard about cold-start T11 fluorescents. MUCH better, and will start down to near zero, but do need some time to come up to full brightness.

Now I've discovered 4 foot LED strips. The fixture looks just like an old-fashioned chain-hung fluorescent fixture, but the light comes from a double row of LED's. HOLY DAYLIGHT, BATMAN!

MUCH brighter, 34 watts power consumption and WalMart has them for less than $20 per fixture. What's not to love?

Oddly, it's not listed on their web site, but its the Hyper Tough 4 foot Hanging LED Shop Light, SKU 755277813005

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Costco carries something similar. I see loads of them go out the door and think I may jump on board soon also.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put 8 of them in my shop, I no longer care if the light shines in!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have converted my whole townhouse to LED. It has been excellent. I had compact fluorescents for a while. They sucked.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I converted 4 different 4 foot fluorescents to LED just recently.
It was a little work but great afterwards.
They look great too, cleaned up the old ones, took out the ballasts and painted a cool looking black.
Used Hyperikon Tubes from Amazon > 4K color temp is just right for me.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Put 3 4-footers from HD in my sister’s garage. Now she wants to live out there, I think. 2000 lumens each.
At least 4 going in my new garage.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just changed over most of my inside from CFC and incandescent to LED that looks like a normal bulb. So much more white lite and less power and way longer life. I may switch over the garage to these shop lights. Same club.com lists one for 35$ by Honeywell linkable to 10 units for 4500 lumens. I think 10 of these in my garage would be great.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lahilljack
posted Hide Post
Got the same 60+ eye problem! Found a local source for LED shop lights-got 2 8ft with 6ft cords at $25 each. Can't believe how bright they are!

Mike

Posts: 692 | Location: Adams County, Ohio | Registered: June 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Obviously, I'm a little late to this party. Big Grin

I've been aware of LED shop lighting for some time, but the prices were a deal-breaker for me. No longer.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now we'll all run out and cause a shortage of LED garage fixtures, and all the mice living in our garages will be ordering sunglasses.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I put two of the Commercial Electric shop lights from Home Depot above my work bench and it made one heck of a difference. I love them.

Home Deopt also has replacement LED bulbs for the T8 flourescent lights. Didn’t like those and would not recommend them. Well, they wouldn’t start up cause apparently my lights don’t have the correct ballast for them. They did light up if I changed the bulb with the light energized.

Commercial Electric 3’ Shop Light

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Sooooo, going forward from now on, you'll ...

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I converted 4 different 4 foot fluorescents to LED just recently.
It was a little work but great afterwards.
They look great too, cleaned up the old ones, took out the ballasts and painted a cool looking black.
Used Hyperikon Tubes from Amazon > 4K color temp is just right for me.

Some of the Hyperikon ones require changing the sockets and rewiring them to have 120v at them. I don't suggest using this kind, as you can short them out changing the light bulbs or shock yourself. We don't use them in commercial spaces because the employees are too dumb not to shock themselves.

For most people I recommend using direct replacement ones that use the existing T8 ballasts. You loose a fraction of the efficiency due to heat loss in the ballast, but who cares about a watt or two between friends? Or just replace the who fixture with a LED fixture.

PS I am an electrician and I only have a couple LEDs in my house. They don't last as long as advertised and don't save much money in electrical costs either. I am going to wait until there is an industry standard on the products and some with longevity. They change every two months so if you have one prematurely die, you can't buy a replacement that looks exactly the same a few months or a year later.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Upon replacing fluorescents in the shop with LED's, my limited drywall finishing skills were brought to light.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I hung up eight of these Feit LEDs on the 14ft ceiling. It lights up my 30X40 shop better than daylight even from 14ft up. I dang near need sunglasses in there.

Amazon wants $44 each, but I got mine on sale at Costco for $19 each. Cool part about them is they each have a male and female plug so you can link them together.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I might screw an adapter into the socket on my openers and plug one of these LED fixtures in place of two bulbs. I would think I should work as low as the power consumption is on the strips.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I replaced all the fluorescent bulbs in the five garage fixtures with LED bulbs from Costco last year. Had one fixture would overheat and shut down. Bought a proper replacement at Lowe's. Now all the lights come on, full brightness, right away, even at temps in the teens.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I put two of these at over 13,000 lumens each in my garage. I love them.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
The first time I put led in my shop I tried to put the bulbs in with those little white plastic covers on, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out they needed to come off. total dork moment Big Grin they are great lights I ended up with some industrial grade ones from platt electric buddy of mine is a electrician.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I changed to these in Kitchen (2 fixtures) and bedrooms (1)
Lithonia FMLRL 14 20840 M4

They are not fancy, but do a great job.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/prod...54455/LITH-0044.html

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post