SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Survey regarding your hand tools
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Survey regarding your hand tools Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
6pt on sockets, 12pt on wrenches. If it needs more torque than the 12pt wrench can handle, then it's a boxed 6pt crowsfoot, or something else that I can get in there.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Joe123 said, 6 pt on sockets but not on wrenches. When I was a yacht mechanic, I used six point wrenches often because of the numerous corroded fasteners.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
No love for spline sockets? My first choice is spline or 6 point.

Posts: 1549 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
No love for spline sockets?

Not love, exactly. I have a set of box ratchets of this type …

… that are spline drive. They do work equally well on 6-pt., 12 pt. and external Torx, as advertised. Unlike the claims, they do not work on a fastener that has been rounded off even slightly. They also tend to bite in and get stuck, and because this particular type isn't reversible, can be annoying at times. Nevertheless, they are one of my most used tools and I have been unable to break them. So, like a lot, but not love. These are my only spline drive tools.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
I have both; tend to think of six point as stronger,twelve point as a little more versatile. Why do you ask?

I needed a 1/2 drive deep metric over the weekend but didn't have any so I want to buy a set of either 6 or 12 pt but not both, just trying to decide.

I'm thinking if I can upgrade a ratchet with a smaller arc (more teeth), then I could get away with 6pt most or all of the time. I'm not a pro just a duffer but I do most maintenance on my four vehicles.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
No love for spline sockets?

Not love, exactly. I have a set of box ratchets of this type …

… that are spline drive. They do work equally well on 6-pt., 12 pt. and external Torx, as advertised. Unlike the claims, they do not work on a fastener that has been rounded off even slightly. They also tend to bite in and get stuck, and because this particular type isn't reversible, can be annoying at times. Nevertheless, they are one of my most used tools and I have been unable to break them. So, like a lot, but not love. These are my only spline drive tools.

I don't understand spline drive. I've heard about it but don't know what that is. Are regular traditional wrenches still the go to for everyday auto nuts ? Or is this spline geometry taking over completely ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only use 12pt under two circumstances. One, when I can't get the ratchet situated in a tight spot. Two, when I have an insurmountable desire to round a nut off.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Spline tools can be a socket or wrench. The inside has splines kinda like straight gear teeth instead of flats or radius teeth as in 6 or 12 point. The spline sockets can work on semi rounded off nuts and bolts too. Spline sockets are used alot in the aviation industry. Proto tools has a good write up on spline sockets and the benefits. I'm on a phone so I can't provide a link.

Posts: 1549 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Until recently, spline fasteners and sockets were primarily in the aircraft industry. A few decades later, the sockets & wrenches became more prevalent as they can be used on almost any fastener.

I can find 12 point nuts and bolts at my local Ace Hardware, but they have no spline fasteners (yet).

Bought a full set of spline sockets & wrenches from Snap-on. They grip the fastener on the flank as opposed to the tip. This allows greater torque application before failure. If the fastener is slightly rounded, the splines may allow the extra room for the socket to slide over it.

There is also the added bonus of being able to hammer the snot out of the socket onto a bolt or shaft and being able to get just about any of them to dig in and unscrew.

The original spline size was the number of 32nds of an inch the fastener was designed for. A number 16 spline (16/32) fits a half inch nut for example. Thanks to the miracles of modern advertising and marketing, they have traditional fractions on them now. The metric spline sockets may or may not be true to size depending on the manufacturer.

This is not the same thing as spline drive sockets. Those cost more. Then there is the spline drive spline sockets. $$$ Yikes!

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6 pt for most of the rusty stuff here but we are seeing more and more 12 pt fasteners on import vehicles. Plus the 12 pt can be driven over the outer layers of rust enough to knock it off and then be able to drive a 6pt onto the fastener.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post