SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Survey regarding your hand tools
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Survey regarding your hand tools Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
Survey on hand tools 6pt vs 12pt for sockets and wrenches

Question:
Do you prefer 6pt or 12pt for your sockets and combination wrenches ? Please splain.

Choices:
I prefer 6pt most of the time
I prefer 12pt most of the time
Both depending on the application

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I have both.

12pt will get you into just that spot, but not enough to matter.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On socket or wrenches I prefer 6 point. There is less of a chance of rounding the nut/bolt. A fine toothed ratchet and a 6 point socket will do it most times, but sometimes you have no choice but a 12 point.

I have both, but if I can I will go with the 6 point socket and/or wrenches.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Six point and 10mm. I always need a 10mm socket.

Electrical tape and 10mm sockets. I keep them stashed everywhere at this point because I always need one or the other and can never find them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I like six point but use both. I still have the old Craftsman set I bought many many years ago. It has both.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer 6 point as they don't slip off of the head as easily or strip the head.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Electrical tape and 10mm sockets. I keep them stashed everywhere at this point because I always need one or the other and can never find them.
Duct tape them to your can of WD-40 Big Grin

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both; tend to think of six point as stronger,twelve point as a little more versatile. Why do you ask?

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I prefer 6-point on my sockets and 12-point on my wrenches.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use a 12pt tool on a 6pt fastener but not the other way around. As a home user (although I have 5 vehicles) I have both because there are certain 6pt fasteners that I refuse to risk rounding off.

“Everybody's got plans...until they get hit.” Mike Tyson

Posts: 280 | Location: OC, CA | Registered: January 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have both, but reach for the 6-point first. The 6 gets a better grip on a very tight or slightly rounded off (often go together) fastener. For a very tight spot, sometimes it is easier to guide and start a 12-point into place. And sometimes you have no choice because the fastener is 12-point.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I use both, I prefer 12PT. Some nuts just need that extra torque to release so out comes the breaker bar 6PT thicker to stand up to jumping up and down on. Tractors and loaders bolts/nuts get rusty quick. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Always 6 pt for sockets. Both for wrenches.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Except for some of those12 point high strength bolts. Fortunately as an industrial mechanic for 40+ years I have both types of sockets.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I have both but use 6pt 99% of the time.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

We must be long lost relatives!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

This

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I guess I've led a sheltered life, but I've never seen a 12 point nut or bolt. I do have a set of 8 point sockets for square nuts/bolts.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I prefer 6 point as almost everything I work on is weathered, rusted or butchered by a prior attempt to remove it. 6 point grip better, and are less likely to round over on a damaged nut or bolt head.

12 point are useful for positioning, especially with box end wrenches, and they can be used in a pinch for square nuts or bolts.

There are now 12 point bolts and nuts, but I haven't encountered any of those on my equipment yet.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
I have both but use 6pt 99% of the time.

This. I hardly ever use 12 pt.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post