SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Toledo Ohio Police bans tactical vests for officers"
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Toledo Ohio Police bans tactical vests for officers" Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I work 12s, and 3 days a week I pull a 15 or more, because of extra details. The best thing that ever happened was when they approved us to wear external carriers. Mine's not even load-bearing, but just being able to take it off when on station typing (or taking a crap) is a huge benefit. Not to mention how much cooler it is in the summer.

Anybody who thinks we need to give these up to go back to concealed carriers simply for appearance sake either a.) has never had to wear body armor for 15-20 hours a day before or b.) is just being a dick.

I hate the velcro on the Elbeco, love the Blauer Armorskin with zippers:

I also agree, love the external carriers. Most of the officers in my department have switched to suspenders for the belt (sore back complaints have gone down drastically). Nice to take off the carrier while at training, doing reports, etc.

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sad state of affairs

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I work 12s, and 3 days a week I pull a 15 or more, because of extra details. The best thing that ever happened was when they approved us to wear external carriers. Mine's not even load-bearing, but just being able to take it off when on station typing (or taking a crap) is a huge benefit. Not to mention how much cooler it is in the summer.

Anybody who thinks we need to give these up to go back to concealed carriers simply for appearance sake either a.) has never had to wear body armor for 15-20 hours a day before or b.) is just being a dick.

This is ideal. I wore this when active, and put duty suspenders on my Safariland gunbelt, placed this carrier o9ver them with the required brass badge and stuff. Look professional, way more than carrying crap on the vest itself, and the suspenders saved my back.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
^^^
Works for me.

Works for me, too.

The cops have enough troubles without a bunch of PC crap imposed by someone who has little idea what they go thru every day.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
All of our Patrol officers wear the exterior vests, it's so much easier on your lower back by removing weight off of the belt. That said, a member of the command staff who managed the project 'neglected' to order Flags for our vests. After numerous complaints from the troops and the Union, it was added back to the vests, simply an oversight. Roll Eyes

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
/quote You either respect LE or you don't /quote

A few people today don't respect law enforcement officers, and will do whatever is takes to take them out. Our agency (non-LEO) provides us body armor that will stop the caliber of our sidearm and lower calibers. However, this vest will not stop rifle rounds or pointed, sharp objects (knives). Removing the ballistic panels and replacing them with ceramic armor would alleviate the problem, but increases the vest weight. We would be chastised during an inspection if wearing unissued equipment.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Another Brasshole more concerned with community activism than his Rank & File..

Posts: 13807 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Personally, I HATE those stupid “shirt-like” outers. The only look halfway decent in a dark color, and then only when the shirt is new. My agency has grey shirts and the grey outers I’ve seen never match exactly. They look retarded when the plan is to make it look like it’s one big shirt.

Currently we wear OD green over grey and it looks good, professional, and the public likes it. It’s the agency desk riding assholes that don’t wear them at all that don’t like them.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Personally, I HATE those stupid “shirt-like” outers. The only look halfway decent in a dark color, and then only when the shirt is new. My agency has grey shirts and the grey outers I’ve seen never match exactly. They look retarded when the plan is to make it look like it’s one big shirt.

Currently we wear OD green over grey and it looks good, professional, and the public likes it. It’s the agency desk riding assholes that don’t wear them at all that don’t like them.

Appearance is 90% of the fight, and the external vest carriers I've seen make you look like a bag of doorknobs. I'm referring to the ones that attempt, and fail, to replicate a uniform shirt. The external MOLLE vests look like what they are, and our high-intensity and K9 units wears them, along with BDUs.

ALL armor and duty rigs are uncomfortable, and we have way too much to carry; it's the nature of the gig.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Appearance-wise, I think the outer carriers like we use (as shown at the bottom of Page 2) are a good compromise. Not overtly "tactical" Roll Eyes like a full MOLLE vest, but it isn't trying to be something it's not by attempting (and failing) to look like a dress shirt.

The downside is that their load carrying ability is minimal, with the large but thin pockets limited to carrying comparatively small/thin items like flashlights, pens, cuffs, TQs, notebooks, etc. So it helps noticeably with the comfort aspect compared to concealable vests, but doesn't help much with regard to the problem of getting weight up off the waist.

They do offer a similar model with attached pouches that addresses that, but they're kinda clunky in practice, and not modular.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post