SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire Purchasing - Don't Go Cheap!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Purchasing - Don't Go Cheap! Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I had Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on my BMW M3. Very nice tires, but also very pricey. Something like $1600 every 20k miles.

So, one day, I decided to cheap out and bought a set of Kumho Ecstas. Saved 4 or 5 hundred dollars.

I lost the tail end of the car on a off ramp and brushed a curb. Ultimately, those tires were a rather large net loss to me after rim and suspension repairs.

Decided from that point on that your car is only as good as the tires they ride on.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I wonder about the Korean brand "Nexen" that came on the new Chrysler Pacifica we just bought a few months ago.

Sounds like they've been around a long time and were the first tire manufacturer in Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexen_Tire

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I buy Michelins because of my satisfaction based on 30 years of buying Michelins. Also when it's time to sell your car it's always nice to point out the Michelin tires - like them or not, Michelin mean premium tires to most people and that's always a good selling point.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I have bought nothing but Michelins for my cars for ~40 years at Costco. No problems, good service, great price.

I too, have favored Michelins over lesser known brands, but a couple of days ago I noticed three deep cracks in one that zig zagged outward away from the rim.

I've heard that you should consider replacing tires when they got to be four years old. That might be good advice because that set was a little over four years old.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Put new Michelins on Pathfinder 200 miles ago and Michelins on my S2000 last week.

My other car came with Dunlops. When they are shot------guess what goes on it.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to put another set of Mich's on my pickup. Last set went 58k miles and I could get at least 60k but they have been on too long for me to be comfortable with them. Plus, Sam's has a $70 off tire sale until June 4th.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
My wife's Honda Pilot just needed new tires, factory oem was Michelin. They lasted 50k I would have hoped to get better mileage from them. I went with Yokohamas this time. The mileage warranty was a bit better and the tires were $300 less.
I also got the vehicle aligned I'm figuring its a good thing to do.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
My wife shook her head when I bought performance tires for my focus. Then she drove it (it had shitty tires before that) and could not believe the difference especially in stopping. Out of all the mods people do to cars tires will give you the most change in performance.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
o, I never understand pure brand loyalty in tires (or pretty much anything else).

I don't know, it seems like every truck I have I end up putting a set of BFG All Terrains on. I've had good luck with them, good traction and seem to wear for a long time. If something works, why change?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Don't go cheap, and don't push it on trying to milk the last mile out of the tread before replacing your tires, especially if you drive a pickup truck.

I hydroplaned my F150 on borderline worn-out tires years ago. Did a complete 360 on a four-lane highway and slid off the road. Luckily, I was only going about 45 mph because there was a downpour in progress. Only got tapped by another vehicle, and came to rest just off the shoulder. Could have been much worse. I learned that day, change out worn tires too soon, rather than too late.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Cooper makes nice lower end tires.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'll need Camry, and pickup tires, in a few months. Are the less expensive Michelin Defenders good? I've heard mixed results.

According to TireRack, this tire does not rate well after 11M miles of reviews.

Here's how the Standard Touring category breaks down:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...ydisplay.jsp?type=ST

If you're not looking for a performance tire and it's Michelin you want, I would definitely spend a few more dollars and get into the Grand Touring category. The Michelin Premier A/S looks like a good bet.

See here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires...isplay.jsp?type=GTAS

-Rob

The last set of tires I put on my 2012 Camry were the Michelin Primacy MXM4's - They were OK, but I'm approaching 40K on them and need to replace them already. I don't think I drive aggressively, have kept a watchful eye on the tire pressure - the wear is pretty consistent accross the width of the tires. My previous experience with Michelin as a brand had been that they wear like iron, this set was just OK, nothing special.

Not sure what I'll end up with, but it won't be that set again.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I run Yokohamas on my work truck and last year one wore beyond inspection limits and I had the shop put on what cheap tire they had just to get it up and running for work. Immediate loss of traction and a terrible drop in ride quality was the result. Thanks for reminding me that I still haven't replaced it.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A tire is considered worn out at 2/32" tread depth. The wear bars molded into every tread will be visible.

You can use a penny as a tread depth gauge. Insert Abe's head (distance between the edge of the coin and the top of his head is roughly 2/32") into the tread. If you can see the top of his head, it's time. But I don't like to go that far. I like a quarter better. From the top of Washington's head to the edge of the coin is about 4/32".

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The wear bars molded into every tread will be visible.

These wear bars are visible when the tire is brand new, how "visible" are they supposed to be when the tire is worn out?

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Allow me to remind you that the tires are the only part of your car that touches the ground under normal circumstances.

and to answer Warhorse directly, I think nexen tires are just fine.

I've had Nexen's and they've been fine. I've had Pirelli and Michelin and BF Goodrich as well.
I think it's probably best to get recommendations for the particular vehicle.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

These wear bars are visible when the tire is brand new, how "visible" are they supposed to be when the tire is worn out?

If you are thinking about doing the penny test, you probably already know the answer.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

When the tire wears down so that the wear bars are flush with the gripping surface and touch the road, that is the minimum safe operating tread depth.

The tire compound is what provides traction. Race cars driving on clean surfaces have slick tires with no treads, which maximizes the contact between the tire compound and the road.

Treads are spaces for road debris and water move out of the way so that the rubber can contact the road. When the treads become too shallow, there is not enough space for water and debris to move out of the way as the tire rolls through it. The effect is hydroplaning on water, or sliding on sand/gravel/debris. Thus, tire treads are a safety mechanism to provide traction on wet roads or through road debris--you can drive on perfectly bald tires on clean dry roads, or you can let your tires wear all the way down to the indicators...but it's a lot like using most of the contents of a fire extinguisher and leaving it mostly empty.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I'll be replacing the tires on the truck this summer. 2012 4 door 4x4 Tacoma. I don't do any off roading. What do you guys recommend for a good general purpose tire?

ETA: I don't care about road noise if that matters

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I'll be replacing the tires on the truck this summer. 2012 4 door 4x4 Tacoma. I don't do any off roading. What do you guys recommend for a good general purpose tire?

ETA: I don't care about road noise if that matters

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs are my favorite all terrain tires, and I've tried most of them.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post