SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable scale for checked luggage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable scale for checked luggage Login/Join 
posted
Any recommendations? Mrs. Sigmund and I are in Anchorage packing three bags for tomorrow's flights home and we're trying to balance the loads while staying under 50 lbs.

What do fellow travelers use to weigh their bags in the hotel or at home? We'll need it in a month when we visit China.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet the hotel you are staying in has a bathroom type scale, call ahead and see.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've used one like this for 10 years or so. They've got many models out there now, same general principle.

Luggage scale

Not usually an issue, but when we are going on a trip and have really packed it in, nice to not be repacking at the counter. Or peeling off $75!

Also helpful for knowing how close to limit we are if planning to return with additional items. If close, can toss in an extra medium duffle for the return.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
http://shop.samsonite.com/acce...scale/49515XXXX.html

This works but two people have to use it. One to lift, one to read. Accurate based on my data.

Suggest newer model with handle reading from lifters viewpoint.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have a analog one I've used for years. Don't remember who makes it. I would just go to amazon and pick one with good ratings and price.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I just hold my bag and step on my bathroom scale, then subtract my weight.

It's not as accurate, but it gets me close.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12744 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I got this as a gift 7 years ago. Its still going strong and really inexpensive. I just leave it in my big bag. I will also tell you if youre worried about weight pack it to the gills but take clothes that you need to throw out. I do this when i travel with all my old underwear/shirts etc.. frees up space for collectibles As you wear the clothes.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com...word=luggage%20scale

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Any of the digital hanging types will work just fine. I've used several over the years and have found them to be +/- 1 lbs. or so from the airline bag check scales.

I'd purchase from Amazon based on reviews. And get two (2). They're not expensive, don't weigh anything, and I've had one break during a trip before, but for less than $20 or so, they mostly last several years at least.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I'd get a fishing scale. Better yet borrow one, you're in AK. gotta be twenty fishermen within rock throwing distance.

I'll add this. When in elk camp the outfitters simply used a balance hanging in camp. If all baggage must go simply make all three equal in weight. If you are over gross weight this won't help.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I just hold my bag and step on my bathroom scale, then subtract my weight.

It's not as accurate, but it gets me close.

Same here. Has worked within +/- 2-3lbs as compared to the United scales.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I got this as a gift 7 years ago. Its still going strong and really inexpensive. I just leave it in my big bag. I will also tell you if youre worried about weight pack it to the gills but take clothes that you need to throw out. I do this when i travel with all my old underwear/shirts etc.. frees up space for collectibles As you wear the clothes.

I go on llama pack trips with my uncle. We pack 2 panniers per llama, 1 each side with a max of 28 lbs per side. Each pannier in a set MUST be within 1 lb of the other. I use the one Deqlyn suggested. Never failed us.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

That's the exact same one I use, except purchased at REI. I found it reliable enough to use for basic scientific testing.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, I'll get one once we're home.

I just checked in on United, and the bag limit going home (ANC-DEN-MLI) is 70 lbs! I could swear it was 50 lbs outbound, I'm Premiere Silver which has its benefits.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The neighbor "Ray " just got back from 10 days in ak, he said that it went great!

hope you had a wonderful trip,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
We've had a Samsonite handheld scale for several years that we use 2-3 times a year; goes up to 88 pounds. Reads pounds or kilograms and uses 2 AAA batteries. Haven't needed to change the batteries yet, either.

Made in China. Frown

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
On sale at amazon:

quote:
Amazon has the Smart Weigh Digital Portable Luggage Scale w/ 2 year warranty for a low $7.69 after Coupon Code: "30WOWOFF" (Exp Soon). Free Shipping above $25 or with Amazon Prime. Thanks to the coupon, you save an extra 30% off.

Backlit LCD display: Supports up to 110lbs
Easily switch between two different weighing modes
Small size fits in pocket or luggage
Measure in kilogram (kg) or pound (lb) units

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...?smid=A1OXMGBNNDVO3Y

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post