SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’m proud (Air Force related)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m proud (Air Force related) Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I've wondered how Basic Training has changed since I showed up at Lackland in 1981. Back then we wrote a LOT of letters. My parents said "You've got to write letters to get letters".

No email, no cell phones, and collect calls.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
Congrats! I remember getting off that bus at Lackland AFB 25 years ago this month! Fond memories.

I stepped off that bus 28 years ago this month, congrats to your son. I’d much rather go through basic this time of year than in the summer.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
He called just long enough this afternoon to give me his mailing address. He sounded good. I hope he has found his “fit” in this world.

And yes, I forwarded the address on to his mother. Apparently he only called me.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son! I started my Air Force journey there in 1987. Still serving with 31 years in, it has passed so quickly.

Good luck to him and hope he enjoys the AF as much as I have.

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been to Lackland many many times since my first trip 38 years ago. Back then we went by train. One of the things I enjoyed most as a chief was visiting with recruits in their second or third week of basic. Hearing their stories brought back my faith in American youth. AF basic is far more physically strenuous nowadays than it was back then. Welcome to my Air Force Airman!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I have been to Lackland many many times since my first trip 38 years ago. Back then we went by train. One of the things I enjoyed most as a chief was visiting with recruits in their second or third week of basic. Hearing their stories brought back my faith in American youth. AF basic is far more physically strenuous nowadays than it was back then. Welcome to my Air Force Airman!

This was by far my most memorable part of basic. We had a Chief who was wounded in Khobar Towers speak to us, and little did I know I would later be assigned to the same wing that suffered most of the casualties in that attack.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post