SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’m proud (Air Force related)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m proud (Air Force related) Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
My 18 year old son got off a plane at Lackland in San Antonio yesterday about 1745.
His last text was “gotta go”.
I wish him success.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am assuming that is Air Force Country.

( I am pure Army all the way so I need educated in other arenas)

Tell him thanks for stepping up, and it is always a proud day when one volunteers and heads toward the sound of thunder.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
You should be very proud. Best wishes to your son, may the time pass quickly.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who is stationed at Lackland and he loves it there. San Antonio is a great town.

Good luck to your son hudr.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on raising an outstanding son!!!

The country needs more like him!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
*shutters*

Good time of year to be there...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son and I hope enjoys his time in the Air Force as much as I did.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to him.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! My niece (also 18) started basic there about a month ago. It's now 8.5 weeks:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/...k-to-basic-training/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off the plane at 1745? That,s a hell of a lot better than I had. I got off the bus at 0430 in 1965 and they kept me busy for the next 20 hours. I had it lucky compared to my brother who joined the Marines.

I guess the Air Force is more concerned with the recruits feelings in todays age.

Congratulations to your son for serving our country. The Air Force put in place the basics of my future career; it is a great decision to join the military.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I know a guy who is stationed at Lackland and he loves it there. San Antonio is a great town.

Good luck to your son hudr.

Jim

Me too, he’s a veterinarian at the MWD Hospital and training center. He happens to be Army

All the best to your son, hudr

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the young man.

One of the best decisions I ever made was joining at 17 in 1973. Sure wish my own son would have followed but he has other plans Roll Eyes

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
I am assuming that is Air Force Country.

( I am pure Army all the way so I need educated in other arenas)

Tell him thanks for stepping up, and it is always a proud day when one volunteers and heads toward the sound of thunder.

Lackland is the base where all new recruits go for basic training.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
Off the plane at 1745? That,s a hell of a lot better than I had. I got off the bus at 0430 in 1965 and they kept me busy for the next 20 hours. I had it lucky compared to my brother who joined the Marines.

I guess the Air Force is more concerned with the recruits feelings in todays age.

Congratulations to your son for serving our country. The Air Force put in place the basics of my future career; it is a great decision to join the military.

His “day” started Monday night about 7:30. His recruiter called him and told him there had been a mistake. He was s’posed to be in Shreveport that night for MEPS 1st thing Tuesday AM.
His recruiter picked him up at the movie theater in Texarkana (we were 30 minutes into a movie), took him 30 minutes home to get his bag, then drove him to the hotel in Shreveport.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:

His “day” started Monday night about 7:30. His recruiter called him and told him there had been a mistake. He was s’posed to be in Shreveport that night for MEPS 1st thing Tuesday AM.
His recruiter picked him up at the movie theater in Texarkana (we were 30 minutes into a movie), took him 30 minutes home to get his bag, then drove him to the hotel in Shreveport.

There was no "mistake". The recruiter botched something on his or her end I'm fairly certain. Either way, congrats to him and you. Went through Lackland myself, my tech school was also at Lackland. Was bummed about that until they finally let me go off base. San Antonio is a cool town.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please tell him how proud we are of him! Congratulations to you and your wife!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltbarber:
Please tell him how proud we are of him! Congratulations to you and your wife!

Ex wife. Smile He doesn’t talk to his mother much (I’m actually kinda sad about that) But I made sure he let her know he had left.

And yes, Mattw. The recruiter fully admitted it was a mistake on his part. He found out the timing issue when he got a call asking where his recruit was after a head check.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Our squadron had travel issues and several guys were late getting to Lackland. Those of us who were on time spent 3 days in the same pair of civies until everyone showed up and we could go get our ODs. Never so glad to become a pickle!

IIRC:
Rainbows - Those in Civies
Pickles - In our ODs but no labels (Name & AF tags)
Canned Pickles - ODs with labels
Smurfs - Dress blues

That's how we knew where other squadrons were in their training.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Congratulations hdur.

I remember that day like it was yesterday and that was 22 years ago. I don't think your son is having fun right now Wink

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I remember getting off that bus at Lackland AFB 25 years ago this month! Fond memories.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post