SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Celery during winter vs summer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Celery during winter vs summer Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've been noticing over the last several years (it's probably been true all along but just never noticed) that celery during the winter months are milder and sweeter than during the summer (bitterness and harshness to it).

I much prefer celery during the winter, at least around here.

Is this a known thing everywhere? If so, why is it?

As an aside but somewhat related: orange juice. Winter is better. Also, I'm becoming increasingly off put by Cuties (I HATE the plastic tab that connects two jugs) and actually prefer the taste of the OJ from the Florida Natural (USA only oranges) over Cuties now. Cuties has become bland to me.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. Where’s “here” for you? I picked up some celery late last week and noticed the stalks were chunkier, and bitter tasting compared to what we get during warmer months. West coast here. No idea where it was grown.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
another celery tip: wrap your celery tightly in foil and it will keep nice and crisp in the fridge for quite a while. I used to get so tired of it going limp so quickly. the foil trick really works.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that, I’ll try it out. We end up throwing out more than I feel alright with.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to eat a lot more celery , but I need something to put on it , that is NOT 320 calories per nanogram.

peanut butter is great , but I don't need that many calories,

got any suggestions ?
and don't say Soy ! Mad

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Natto Smile

I like cheese - triple cream, cheddar or blue. Blue cheese dressing works for me.

But winter celery is good raw. I soak in ice water for awhile first.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Try some hummus. Especially the kind with the hot pepper relish in the middle. Can’t remember the name, sorry.
No clue about the winter summer question.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I hadn't really noticed, but since you mentioned it I realized it's true. Celery tastes better in the cooler winter months.

It prompted me fire up the old Google-fu to see if I could figure out why, and it appears that celery requires a long, cool growing season so it is naturally better in the cooler months. It tends to get bitter in warmer climates or hot growing seasons. More detail at the link:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/...ot-bitter-71633.html

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I want to eat a lot more celery , but I need something to put on it , that is NOT 320 calories per nanogram.

got any suggestions ?
and don't say Soy ! Mad

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

got any suggestions ?
and don't say Soy ! Mad

We like various cream cheese spreads like strawberry, garden vegetable, etc. "Light" versions are readily available.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
Try some hummus. Especially the kind with the hot pepper relish in the middle. Can’t remember the name, sorry.
No clue about the winter summer question.

Sabra and Boar’s Head both make a good one. But yes, Bendable, hummus is what you want.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If you go the hummus route, DIY trumps any store bought.

Beans
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PEWJWC/

Tahini
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1HL0H8/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015WU3X5Q/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Natto Smile

LOL!!!

Do folks (here and elsewhere) even know about this wonder???

I love the "stinky," sticky stuff, but then I are a strange person Wink

Natto on rice with an egg is just about perfect, unless we're talking about my wife's "natto-pokke" - YUM! (snack for drinking) Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Cream cheese with pickle relish.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

LOL!!!

Do folks (here and elsewhere) even know about this wonder???

I love the "stinky," sticky stuff, but then I are a strange person Wink

Natto on rice with an egg is just about perfect, unless we're talking about my wife's "natto-pokke" - YUM! (snack for drinking) Big Grin

I didn't say soy. Smile

Egg, you mean raw egg, right? I prefer just negi to karashi.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
True, you did not Wink

Well, in a perfect world, yes, raw.

However, here it's a little bit of a challenge...

My wife has stepped beyond that concern, of late.

Yes, negi is preferred. Agreed Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Cheese Whiz.

Yummy

I like celery when its lighter color, more yellow / white than dark green

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

got any suggestions ?
and don't say Soy ! Mad

Buffalo wing sauce and Ranch dressing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I hadn't really noticed, but since you mentioned it I realized it's true. Celery tastes better in the cooler winter months.

It prompted me fire up the old Google-fu to see if I could figure out why, and it appears that celery requires a long, cool growing season so it is naturally better in the cooler months. It tends to get bitter in warmer climates or hot growing seasons. More detail at the link:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/...ot-bitter-71633.html

Interesting. I learned some new things. There was mention of soil and fertilizer as an influence. I’m learning that I’m preferring fruits and veggies that are grown in volcanic soil. Even tea. I usually drink Japanese green tea grown in ‘traditional’ regions. But I’m finding that I really enjoy tea grown in regions with rich volcanic soil, namely southern Japan. Time of year / season, soil and water are interesting aspects in the search of good produce.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I've also been told that if you cut off the root end of the celery bunch and stick it in water you can "regrow" it at home. I do this all the time with green onions and leeks, but have never tried it on celery.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post