SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Helmet use in off-road UTV?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helmet use in off-road UTV? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Do you wear a helmet while riding in a UTV? I'm taking more off-road sport machine like a Polaris RZR rather than a farm utility machine like the Ranger or Kubota. Something with seat belts and a ROPS. I always did on a dirt bike and ATV and will continue in the RZR. My wife is not so fond of the idea.

Question:
Helmet or not in an off-road machine with rollcage?

Choices:
Helmet all the time.
Helmet only off-road, not on the farm.
No helmet.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote as I don't have a high performance UTV. But with a roll cage and seat belt I doubt I would. I don't wear a helmet when on my ATV or Polaris Ranger, but I ride them sensibility.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I don't ride UTV although I would like to....

I've had more then one concussion over the years. In my younger days I don't think we really knew or at least I didn't what we do now.

If I was doing anything that would have a increased chance of concussion I would where protection today. I have a helmet for riding a bike and climbing today and use both when appropriate. Just not worth the risk knowing what we now know about concussions.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For the most part, no. I also drive rather carefully, modest speeds.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Poll needs another choice:

No, if it's being used like a truck and at low speeds, by a responsible adult.

Kids/teens: ATTGATT.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
Only if I plan on getting a little wild with it. I rarely wear a helmet on the 4 wheeler but I also rarely get wild on it. I treat Side by sides the same way.

Of course, if we've been drinking I probably won't wear a helmet and just might get a little wild.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I always wore a helmet on the trails while on my ATV, but seldom when riding around my property when I lived in northern MI. Have since sold the ATV when I moved.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a compromise for me. I wear a very lightweight skateboard type helmet when using an SxS ATV. The combination of the vehicles protection (Cage, roof and windshield) and the helmet give me some peace of mind.
Note: We recently had a SxS crash that killed a young girl. Its my understanding that an object entered the passenger compartment during a rollover and killed her. So.... Because it is cage equipped, don't assume you can go unprotected.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Indiana just passed a law making it illegal for a minor to be riding in or on one without a helmet. Came after several kids got killed/ seriously injured.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Poll needs another choice:

No, if it's being used like a truck and at low speeds, by a responsible adult.

Kids/teens: ATTGATT.

I listed that under farm use.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think MI still has a helmet law with ATVs, all must wear one.

I like the WI law better, not necessary if over 18.

I mostly put around on a Foreman, tops out about 40 mph. I'm usually much less than top end.

I have also used a 'minimalist' type of 'skid lid', when I have to wear something.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kawasaki Teryx owner here. Just putting around no, on a "trail ride" YES. The OEM cages on these things are only good for a tip over at almost idle speed, and someone on the Teryx FB group even died recently with no helmet on a trail ride.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I don't wear a helmet plowing snow and similar uses.

I'm currently budgeting for an air pumper set up for helmets. Used with a full face helmet, it should be pretty dust free and the communication system should work well. The set up is fairly expensive.

posted Hide Post
a couple of the farmers here go pretty slow on their property, but are using bicycle helmets when they go up to the tiny town for lunch or gas

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I don't wear one when working/hunting. But then...I'm not going very fast.

If I were to race, or engage in some riskier(faster) activities...I'd probably wear a helmet.

When my kids ride, if they're driving they wear a helmet. If they're behind/beside me they don't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't own a UTV, but wear a full face lid on my ATV. I have difficulty in keeping it shiny side up.
Assume I would do the same on a UTV, as I would probably drive it aggressively as well.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.

posted Hide Post
Do you have a windshield? Are you on public or private land? These things should influence your decision a bit.

A helmet is never a bad idea, but I will ride the bike, atv, etc without around the farm. In public, though, all the time. In a utv, I'd treat it the same. At lower speeds and on my land, no helmet. In public / where otherwise required by law, helmet.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Voted off road. I will qualify that by saying off road means broken terrain. Fields, lakes, slow forest service type access roads not so much.

I'm more likely to wear a helmet on road to be honest. Higher speed, other vehicles, wonkey handling characteristics, means more opportunity to want my melon covered.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I voted all the time. A bicycle helmet is minimal protection and doesn't look that dorky these days. Shit happens..the English language is a bitch..and you only want to learn it once.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post