SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    France: Halal Shop Forced to Close for Refusing to Sell Pork and Alcohol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

France: Halal Shop Forced to Close for Refusing to Sell Pork and Alcohol Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Finally, a little bit of push back Razz

A halal shop in Colombes faces closure after the landlord won a lawsuit against the tenant, which violated its lease by refusing to stock alcohol and pork.

The landlord, a public rent control organisation, or HLM office as they are known in France, is led by conservative Republican mayor of Colombes Nicole Goueta, who took the matter to court to get the halal grocer Good Price to either stock alcohol and pork or be evicted.

The HLM office has said that the shop owners have violated their lease which stipulated that they were using the commercial property for “a general trade of food”, L’Express reports.

“This is a case that may seem unique but is still quite simple,” said the lawyer for the HLM office François Meyer. “Colombes gave a lease to the company Good Price and, in the clauses of the lease, is inserted a mention for this business to be a general shop,” he added.

The lawyer for Good Price dismissed the claims against the shop saying that alcohol “is not part of the general diet. It is called compliment, so there are no obligations.”

On Monday afternoon, the court in Nanterre ruled in favour of the HLM office with the judge in the case saying the sale of halal products “is restrictive and does not fit the broad notion of general food”.

The court also ordered the shopkeepers to be evicted from the commercial space and said that the HLM office could use the police, if required, to make the shop owners leave. The shopkeepers have also been forced to pay €4,000 in legal costs.

In countries around Europe, halal slaughter practices have been heavily criticised by animal rights campaigners who view their methods as cruel. In the UK earlier this year, the government announced that CCTV cameras would be placed in abattoirs to prevent cruelty after a charity secretly filmed halal butchers engaging in cruelty in Yorkshire.

Islamic leaders were also up in arms in October after schools in Lancashire decided to ban halal meat from animals that had not been stunned before slaughter.

http://www.breitbart.com/londo...elling-pork-alcohol/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not in favor of governments and courts deciding what merchants have to sell or what clients they have to serve...

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Not in favor of governments and courts deciding what merchants have to sell or what clients they have to serve...

It's France so......they are knuckleheaded enough to let wasps build a massive hive and then do stuff to piss them off.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that White AngloSaxon Protestants were the problem in France.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
A small step. A very small step.

France's army is going to have to deal with this muslim crap.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20324 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is not what the ruling says or does.

It ruled that there was a contract for a general grocery, the tenant grocer violated that contract, and as a result, would be evicted.

What you describe (and with which I agree) would be the case if the government said directly to the grocer "Sell alcohol and pork or else." When the government has that power, you get Obamacare.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31481 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reading the article, it appears that the courts are enforcing the terms of the lease. The merchant voluntarily agreed to those terms, but was not complying with them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually, that was in the lease. I can see a landlord negotiating that condition to ensure that the buisness is viable enough that the landlord can be sure of getting paid the rent.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

RMD

You mean throw in the white flag?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It seems to be a bit of both, lets not skip that the landlord appears to be the government, a public rent org or HLM and the suit brought by a government mayor. Hardly a civil suit between two commercial interests.

The lease used the term that the shop must be a "general shop" and used as a "general trade of food".

It doesn't say that the lease defines what is and isn't a "general shop" and what items are included under that definition.

By that I'd summarized that the government has established rules for the operation of a "general trade of food" which may be a rule or law in France, it really isn't clear.

I read it as the lease used a general term which is normal for leases of commercial property in France, and that term restricts merchants from engaging in commerce for food products that is restrictive in nature.

So no vegan stores or Kosher only stores would
be allowed under a lease using that term as defined by the government of France.

At least that's how I read it.

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems to be a bit of both, lets not skip that the landlord appears to be the government, a public rent org or HLM and the suit brought by a government mayor. Hardly a civil suit between two commercial interests.

The lease used the term that the shop must be a "general shop" and used as a "general trade of food".

It doesn't say that the lease defines what is and isn't a "general shop" and what items are included under that definition.

By that I'd summarized that the government has established rules for the operation of a "general trade of food" which may be a rule or law in France, it really isn't clear.

I read it as the lease used a general term which is normal for leases of commercial property in France, and that term restricts merchants from engaging in commerce for food products that is restrictive in nature.

So no vegan stores or Kosher only stores would
be allowed under a lease using that term as defined by the government of France.

At least that's how I read it.

I think you're right, HRK. It seems to me that the problem arose when the Islamic tenant decided that he/they were "special" so the rule did not apply to them.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

That is not what the ruling says or does.

It ruled that there was a contract for a general grocery, the tenant grocer violated that contract, and as a result, would be evicted.

What you describe (and with which I agree) would be the case if the government said directly to the grocer "Sell alcohol and pork or else." When the government has that power, you get Obamacare.

Makes sense.

But be careful on Obamacare, we all know the goal of Obamacare is to take care of those who have not, by taking from those who have. Related, we all know that the pending tax cuts are evil, because they take less from the rich, which makes less available to the poor. Smile

(I can't help it, I live in CA, that's what the recent faculty newsletter told me). Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

RMD

You mean throw in the white flag?

Should I be ashamed of laughing?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

The lawyer for Good Price dismissed the claims against the shop saying that alcohol “is not part of the general diet.

Haha, it is in France. And I'm really not joking.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30427 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:...I think you're right, HRK. It seems to me that the problem arose when the Islamic tenant decided that he/they were "special" so the rule did not apply to them.

I think the same problem exists in the US in that many immigrants, not just Muslims, feel they have the right to ignore the laws.

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

I think the same problem exists in the US in that many immigrants, not just Muslims, feel they have the right to ignore the laws.

I'm going out on a limb here, but...Ya think?

Posts: 6404 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
The lawyer for Good Price dismissed the claims against the shop saying that alcohol “is not part of the general diet. It is called compliment, so there are no obligations.”

What? This is France. Alcohol (wine) is a basic food group over there.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Can a brotha at least get a gay cake baked before they shut 'er down? No??

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why would a lease specify what you can sell?
Are they saying that because it is a grocery store he has to sell those items?
If the lease so stipulates those items then he is wrong (and stupid for signing that lease).
If there is some connect-the-dots on grocery stores and what products they carry then I remain confused. Confused

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post