New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinanciing Login/Join 
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted
My Wife is in the process of getting a rather large Worker's Comp settlement. Our plan is to pay our mortgage principal down and refinance.

In the past, we used a mortgage broker. Does anyone have experience with the online financing websites like Rocket Mortgage or Quicken Loans?

Thanks for any input.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since you are not depending on them to move into you new home, I'd shop around to all for the best deal. Rate, points, misc. closing costs, etc.

I have a relative in the real estate business and her experience with the last one isn't too good. They have been less than on time, seem to use a low cost appraiser so they can mark up the fee, etc.

Whomever you talk to, get a locked in rate and a disclosure of all costs in writing before you make your decision.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Don't use your main email address when getting info because they will bug you to death with follow up opportunities.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the Stagecoach!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Stay away from the Stagecoach!

I agree with that one. Having worked in banking for a while and made mortgage loans, I have seen some terrible screwings. Generally, the best deals came from a local small town bank or credit union.

At least they're there to be held accountable. I'm not sure I have ever seen a great deal from an on-line lender.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Churchill Mortgage. I got a Quicken loan, they sold the mortgage to B of A, and they sucked. They tried to foreclose on me when I was within 2k of paying off my loan, 15 years early. I had a recent experience with Churchill, and I was happy.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with US Bank. They don't sell the loans. As far as I can tell they service them for the entire life of the loan.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest against this move, or at least suggest a consultation with a financial planner.

An alternative option is to invest the money for retirement. You could put into a CDs laddering it so that each one is due to contribute to your 401k and an IRA, maxing both off for the next few years. You can then take the write off for the contributions also you keep your mortgage interest write off as well.

Depending on your asset allocation you will likely earn way more returns in the market than you pay in interest. Even investing in bonds once you factor in keeping Mort int deduction and reduced taxable income from retirement accounts.

This is all dependant on risk tolerance, age, time to retirement. No way on here for me to tell you if this a good option for you. Consult a local professional.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for any input

In the context of any input, have you considered keeping your existing loan and investing the settlement instead?

Putting the loan into a "safe" investment, like an indexed mutual fund is likely going to get you a better return on your money than you'll realize by refinancing.

Of course, I have no knowledge of your situation or your reasons for refinancing. But, it's always a good idea to explore all options. Smile

EDIT: Glad Skins2881 chimed in right before me as he certainly sounds a lot more knowledgeable. Revise my response to: Yeah. What he said! Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Consider a streamlined refinance. We did one with a broker who told us upfront the mortgage would be sold to Flagstar Bank. Low cost, no appraisal fees, minimal paperwork.

http://www.thetruthaboutmortga...treamline-refinance/

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Before you decide to keep the cash and the mortgage, and invest the cash, be sure you understand and tolerate the various risks.

American Greed regularly features victims who decided to make some investment that sounded really good, safe, ya know, their friends had been paid regularly for years, no problem, so the victims took out mortgages on their paid off home, and ended up losing both.

You say, 'but my advisor will take care of me.' That's what often caused the problem seen on AG. The adviser was prominent, prosperous, nice big home, new cars, well dressed, etc, and a crook. Unless you know, you don't really know.

I know dozens of folks who lost money in the real estate collapse of a decade ago, and ended up living with their kids, not always because of crooks, but due to a market change that caught them unable to avoid crippling losses.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The reason for the refinance is to get my mortgage payment down. The settlement is replacing current income.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The reason for the refinance is to get my mortgage payment down. The settlement is replacing current income.

Still, consider investment that may offer a better return than your mortgage interest rate.

As an example, when a "pop star" bought her mansion in Watch Hill, Rhode Island, everyone claimed "she paid cash." I know that is not true. Instead, she invested the money and used the investment income to cover the mortgage costs and also uses the investment return to cover the cost of maintaining and running the property. (The pop star's dad is a financial guru.)

I'm not saying this is possible for you, but I'm thinking you may be able to structure it so that you're still coming out ahead instead of paying a significant amount in one shot.

YMMV...

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:

The suggestion I made may not work for you then if your wife is not going to be able to return to work.

I'd still contact a financial planner to help you make the decision. Just beware the financial planner is incentivized to try and have you invest the money with him. So you may want to use him only for decision making process and another advisor for investing if it's decided that is the best route.

May I ask? Will she return to work, and pre-injury how long until retirement?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last time I refinance it was to take advantage of lower rates. The mortagage broker we had used on two prior transactions was less than responsive - so for the heck of it, I went to our Credit Union. They offered a great rate, and as an added bonus they say they keep their mortgages in house - so I won't be changing who I write the check to every 7 months, like I have before.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Honestly, and I hope I dont step on any toes, the omly reason to use a Mtg broker now days is due to subpar credit.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
Honestly, and I hope I dont step on any toes, the omly reason to use a Mtg broker now days is due to subpar credit.

Not really true.

Mortgage brokers can be lower than banks.

To the OP, I do NOT understand your plan "to pay our mortgage principal down and refinance." I hope you don't you'll pay off your principal to zero then turn around and refinance it, right?

JAllen is right that you need to understand the various risks before you decide to keep the cash and invest. We're not saying you shouldn't do so but you need to understand the risks then you have to decide where to invest the cash.

I'm comfortable investing in stocks because I understand them. That's no disrespect to you as you could probably say you can repair your own car brakes but you would advise me not to do the same on my own.

You could pay it down enough so that you can afford a 15 year mortgage refi with lower rates and lower monthly payments than your current 30 year loan. The key is getting the lowest cost refi - no origination fees, no appraisal fees, no points, no nothing except a simple annual interest that is the same as the APR on the document that they have to show.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
To answer some questions.

My Wife will not be going back to work and has ~3 years until retirement age.

Both my Wife and I have credit scores north of 800.

I will not be paying off the ENTIRE principal.

posted Hide Post
Can you not just make a large one-time payment to reduce the principal?

(assuming the interest rate on your current loan is attractive and you are satisfied with the loan otherwise...)

Yes the payment will remain the same but you will have drastically reduced the length of the loan and overall interest and do not have to go through the nutroll / cost of a complete re-finance.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Can you not just make a large one-time payment to reduce the principal?

(assuming the interest rate on your current loan is attractive and you are satisfied with the loan otherwise...)

-------------------------------------

I believe the idea is to pay off the loan with the cash from the settlement and a new loan in the amount of the remaining balance which new loan will have a significantly lower payment.