SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
There were 57K deaths from the flu last year

Link

In the US. Around 290,000-650,000 globally according to WHO estimates.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
So, does the CDC ever over-react, or is this a legit escalation? (Where did I leave that mask?)

Coronavirus disruption to ‘everyday’ life in US ‘may be severe,’ CDC official says
By Alexandria Hein | Fox News

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Tuesday warned that it expects the novel coronavirus to begin spreading in the U.S. at the community level, and that “disruption to everyday life may be severe.”

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the agency’s director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a press briefing on Tuesday that the time for Americans to begin preparing for a potential outbreak of the virus is now, although officials believe the immediate threat to the public remains low.

“As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder,” Messonnier said. “Ultimately, we expect we will see community spread in this country. It’s not so much a question of if this will happen anymore, but rather more a question of when this will happen, and how many people in this country will have severe illness.”

Rest of the story...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
So, does the CDC ever over-react, or is this a legit escalation? (Where did I leave that mask?)

Coronavirus disruption to ‘everyday’ life in US ‘may be severe,’ CDC official says
By Alexandria Hein | Fox News

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Tuesday warned that it expects the novel coronavirus to begin spreading in the U.S. at the community level, and that “disruption to everyday life may be severe.”

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the agency’s director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a press briefing on Tuesday that the time for Americans to begin preparing for a potential outbreak of the virus is now, although officials believe the immediate threat to the public remains low.

“As more and more countries experience community spread, successful containment at our borders becomes harder and harder,” Messonnier said. “Ultimately, we expect we will see community spread in this country. It’s not so much a question of if this will happen anymore, but rather more a question of when this will happen, and how many people in this country will have severe illness.”

Rest of the story...

Yes, and yes. The virus already meets the technical definition of a pandemic. Underestimating the effect is not something they want to do right now, and because of the (very apparent) ease of transmission, it's prudent to plow the road - witness the astonishment of the market lately. People - and the government - should be prepared for a significant percentage of the population getting this disease. This will - probably - impact healthcare availability significantly, probably mobility, almost certainly the supply chain, and likely normal operations for almost every daily activity. Just like the H1N1 2009 flu pandemic did (over 12,000 people died from this particular virus in the US). This was pretty apparent once the virus left China. What many - myself included - hope and believe is that the worst of this won't produce a horrific and unexpected fatality rate (though any is too much - but we don't get to choose). And to remember that "pandemic" doesn't mean "everybody dies," but that "a lot of people get sick." And they have, and will.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
1xt report a a US service member with the virus. Stationed at Camp Carrol, near Daegu South Korea. He (?) is self quarantined in his off-base quarters.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the point is?
I keep seeing comments like that, and if the point is that other diseases kill more people than COVID-19 has (thus far) and therefore there’s no need to be concerned about it, why stop there? If we don’t need to take precautions to avoid being killed one way because there are other ways of dying with higher fatality rates, then we should stop worrying about anything because the fatality rate for being born has always been 100 per cent.

Driving drunk, wing suiting through narrow canyons, hiking across Afghanistan, cycling along dark country roads with no lights or reflective apparel, smoking four packs of unfiltered Camels a day, consuming all the sweet tea and bourbon we can hold, enjoying the pleasures of heroin, etc.: Why not do all those things; none of us is getting out of here alive anyway.

There’s a lesson about logical thinking in there somewhere, but I believe it would be futile to describe it further.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

Yes, and yes. The virus already meets the technical definition of a pandemic. Underestimating the effect is not something they want to do right now, and because of the (very apparent) ease of transmission, it's prudent to plow the road - witness the astonishment of the market lately. People - and the government - should be prepared for a significant percentage of the population getting this disease. This will - probably - impact healthcare availability significantly, probably mobility, almost certainly the supply chain, and likely normal operations for almost every daily activity. Just like the H1N1 2009 flu pandemic did (over 12,000 people died from this particular virus in the US). This was pretty apparent once the virus left China. What many - myself included - hope and believe is that the worst of this won't produce a horrific and unexpected fatality rate (though any is too much - but we don't get to choose). And to remember that "pandemic" doesn't mean "everybody dies," but that "a lot of people get sick." And they have, and will.

We probably have a few weeks, so what can we start doing now to prepare our bodies to have the best shot at fighting it off? Get more sleep? Cutting out certain foods and taking probiotics?

Should we take breaks from immunity supplements until it gets closer like elderberry and Airborne so their usefulness doesn't decrease?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I plan on increasing my whiskey consumption immediately.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
57k died from the flu last year ? And this is with a vaccine and some herd immunity

Posts: 1402 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

And the point is?
I keep seeing comments like that, and if the point is that other diseases kill more people than COVID-19 has (thus far) and therefore there’s no need to be concerned about it, why stop there? If we don’t need to take precautions to avoid being killed one way because there are other ways of dying with higher fatality rates, then we should stop worrying about anything because the fatality rate for being born has always been 100 per cent.

Driving drunk, wing suiting through narrow canyons, hiking across Afghanistan, cycling along dark country roads with no lights or reflective apparel, smoking four packs of unfiltered Camels a day, consuming all the sweet tea and bourbon we can hold, enjoying the pleasures of heroin, etc.: Why not do all those things; none of us is getting out of here alive anyway.

There’s a lesson about logical thinking in there somewhere, but I believe it would be futile to describe it further.

The logic is that you don’t see people freaking out about a disease (annual influenza) that is far more infective than Covid-19 and the annual Cumulative mortality numbers are higher over an equivalent time period. Such quotes don’t mean that one should not take precautions/be prepared.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I plan on increasing my whiskey consumption immediately.

I'm going to hold off until shit gets bad. I'll work on the perishable beer stocks for now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
57k died from the flu last year ? And this is with a vaccine and some herd immunity

The flu isn’t comprised of a single strain and often the WHO-selected innoculants don’t produce the desired effective antigenic response. Last year’s vaccine was statistically effective but if one’s immune system is weak (immunogenic deficiency), the desired T-cell response may not be sufficient. For this reason, those > 60 years of age often receive a different influenza vaccine than the remainder of the pop’n. Unfortunately influenza can mutate rapidly, adding to the viral population burden.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

We probably have a few weeks, so what can we start doing now to prepare our bodies to have the best shot at fighting it off? Get more sleep? Cutting out certain foods and taking probiotics?

Should we take breaks from immunity supplements until it gets closer like elderberry and Airborne so their usefulness doesn't decrease?

Getting more sleep is always a good goal (one of my particular goals). Most people will have no immunity to this virus, but most people (statistically) will have an immune system robust enough to fight it off if exposed. Supplements won't help (but likely won't hurt either); if you take them, wouldn't stop, if you don't, wouldn't start. I'm not changing anything about my daily routine right now. Best preparation is to stock up on meds you need so you don't have to wait in a pharmacy line with coughing, sneezing people. Wash your hands after you go out. Don't touch your face. And just like a hurricane, stock up on non-perishables so you don't have to wait in a line at the grocery with the same thing. And if there is a community outbreak, best to avoid crowds (and wear a mask if you can't), stay away from obviously ill people, and if you do get sick see your PCP. If a vaccine is developed, get it. If you're elderly or have other medical conditions, times squared. That's it. No other prep is necessary or effective in my opinion. Everything could change if we see a significantly altered course for the disease (for the worse), but hopefully it will react like many other respiratory viruses and taper off seasonally within a few months. And we probably won't know why. But we'll try to be ready for the next one.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I plan on increasing my whiskey consumption immediately.

I'm going to hold off until shit gets bad. I'll work on the perishable beer stocks for now.

I'm with you Jesse, but I might consider a stock check to make sure a supply run isn't in order now, before the pandemic comes to my little town...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
But the general thinking over here is that there are probably already numerous unrecognized infections across Europe, and Italy is just prominent because they started testing lots of people. Germany has now begun testing samples from people seeing their doctors over respiratory sickness via the national Influenza tracking program (i. e., from about 100 general practitioners across the country), and I expect some cases to show up with no clearly established chain of infection.

And there we have it. 47-year-old man with pre-existing condition in North Rhine-Westphalia in critical condition and on ventilation with symptoms of severe pneumonia tested positive along with his wife. Unlike in the separate case of a 25-year-old tourist just returned from Italy, no likely source of infection has been established so far. I'm reminded to stock up on a supply of my regular meds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BansheeOne,

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About all we really know is that it originated in China and their response was a country wide freak out

Posts: 1402 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yay for drive-through pharmacies, order-ahead groceries, and take-out food.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The CDC official pushing this new panic narrative is none other than Rod Rosenstein’s sister...HMMMMMMM Roll Eyes

quote:

Earlier today Dr. Nancy Messonnier, an official in the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), held a conference call with media and pushed a panic narrative around the Coronvirus that ran counter to the Trump administration.

What makes the statements by Dr. Messonnier even more interesting is the fact she is the only sister of former DOJ Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Link

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Color me suspicious.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Yay for drive-through pharmacies, order-ahead groceries, and take-out food.

I agree but would change that last bit to "home cooked meals". Wink

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post